Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleep Mode

• 11-05-2016 3:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,731 ✭✭✭✭

90% of the time i put my pc in Sleep mode at nights

Am i doing the right thing or should i always Shut down ???

I do notice it takes a while to load up and theres so many Windows updates everyday

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Here's a good article explaining.

http://www.howtogeek.com/128507/htg-explains-should-you-shut-down-sleep-or-hibernate-your-laptop/
    When To Sleep: Sleep is particularly useful if you’re stepping away from your computer for a small amount of time. You can put your computer to sleep to save electricity and battery power. When you need to use your computer again, you can resume from where you left off in just a few seconds. Your computer will always be ready to use when you need it.

When To Hibernate: Hibernate saves more power than sleep. If you won’t be using your computer for a while – say, if you’re going to sleep for the night – you may want to hibernate your computer to save electricity and battery power. However, hibernate is slower to resume from. If you’re hibernating or shutting down your computer every time you step away from it throughout the day, you may be wasting a lot of time waiting for it.

When To Shut Down: Most computers will resume from hibernate faster than they will boot up from shut down, so most people will probably want to hibernate their laptops instead of shutting them down. However, some computers or software may not work properly when resuming from hibernate, in which case you’ll want to shut down your computer instead. It’s also a good idea to shut down (or at least restart) your computer occasionally – most Windows users have noticed that Windows needs an occasional reboot.

Advertisement