Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stutter or just frustration - 2 year old

Options
  • 11-05-2016 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hey! Just looking to see if anyone else has experienced something similar. Our lil fella was 2 in Feb. He has been talking a good while now and was probably the first one to talk in the creche in his room of 4. He has full sentences with a while and now can have bits of conversations with him like, what did you do in creche today etc.

What has creeped in over the last 2-3 weeks is that when he starts a sentence he struggles a bit...for eg if asking for a treat he would be ah ah ah ah ah ah...can i have a treat. or ma ma ma ma mammy..doesn't happen every time but it seems to have started getting to him in terms whens hes trying to say something he will just put his hands up to his head and stop after a couple of trys. It would pull at your heart strings!

The creche said its quite common and we think its frustration but could it be a stutter?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

sulli wrote: »
    Hey! Just looking to see if anyone else has experienced something similar. Our lil fella was 2 in Feb. He has been talking a good while now and was probably the first one to talk in the creche in his room of 4. He has full sentences with a while and now can have bits of conversations with him like, what did you do in creche today etc.

What has creeped in over the last 2-3 weeks is that when he starts a sentence he struggles a bit...for eg if asking for a treat he would be ah ah ah ah ah ah...can i have a treat. or ma ma ma ma mammy..doesn't happen every time but it seems to have started getting to him in terms whens hes trying to say something he will just put his hands up to his head and stop after a couple of trys. It would pull at your heart strings!

The creche said its quite common and we think its frustration but could it be a stutter?

My little guy is 3 now and been doing this for a while as been talking for a long time now. It doesnt happen with every sentence and what I've realised is that it seems to happen when he's very excited or trying to say something quickly or out of excitement. So I've just put it down to him trying to rush his words when he's excited or trying to get his words out. The majority of the his sentences are perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

There was a speech therapist on Today Fm today talking alot just this! She said it's very common and their brains are working quicker than their mouths. You could listen back to the podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Is it with every sentence or just the odd one here and there?

My lad is 2.5 and sometimes his brain gets ahead of his tongue and he ends up with a hilarious bouts of ahs before he can finally get it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sulli

very similar to your lad...just seems to be the odd sentence! Think we may just be over thinking it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

We had this with our 4/5 year old. Like that I think she was ahead of what she was saying and then forgot where she was. I used to just wait patiently, saying nothing, and only prompt her if she was totally lost. She's grown out of it now. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement