Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sid Meier's Civilization VI

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 intune

Cormac... wrote: »
    The Anno Series provides an interesting alternative but not quiet the same genre.

I also really like the Total War Games.

Good point! Anno is quite good. Forgot about that.
    Never tried the TW series but must try it sometimes.
    Thanks ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

intune wrote: »
    Good point! Anno is quite good. Forgot about that.
    Never tried the TW series but must try it sometimes.
    Thanks ! :)

Shogun 2 Total War is the best entry of the series since it's not too bloated.

Anno 2070 is worth picking up

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭varuka

Anno is more city building sim like City Skylines. Total War is good but Civ 5 was best for me. Looking forward to Civ 6.

Check out Offworld. It's fun too.

Thanks for the suggestions. Will take that into account.
    Yeah can't wait for 6 either !! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Zillah wrote: »
    Yup, I always felt there should have been more scope/reward for exploration - it just seems to fizzle out too soon. I'd love if there was a map setting to generate a significant continent with no civs on them to allow for a colonial scramble once the tech was available.
    Beefy78 wrote: »
    Are there not map settings where that effectively happens? everyone starts in the same region and the rest of the map is empty?

I may be dreaming.
    Zillah wrote: »
    Not that I ever saw. They also tend to scatter the city states on all of the bloody islands.

I checked and there is what I was talking about. Map type 'Terra'. All the Civs start in the centre of the World (The Middle East effectively) and the rest of the map is empty aside from a few City States.

I wouldn't recommend it though - I tried it over the weekend and it took until the late 20th Century before any of the Civs bothered exploring.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

I seem to remember earlier civs handling that better. Maybe a case of rose-tinted glasses.

In "the real world" we're still exploring the Artic, Antartic, the sea bed ....

As Zillagh said it just seems to whimper out.

I also thought the wonder movies on civ2 (I think) were really something, and later Civs never handled it as well. Just my 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend it though - I tried it over the weekend and it took until the late 20th Century before any of the Civs bothered exploring.

Yeah the AI just crapping out sometimes was a little disappointing.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

The biggest problem by FAR with Civ 5 is the AI. It's absolutely abysmal. I couldn't care less about any of the features they're talking about being in Civ 6 - sort the fricking AI out. It's nearly 20 years since a computer beat the best chess player of all time, there's no excuse!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

The biggest problem by FAR with Civ 5 is the AI. It's absolutely abysmal. I couldn't care less about any of the features they're talking about being in Civ 6 - sort the fricking AI out. It's nearly 20 years since a computer beat the best chess player of all time, there's no excuse!

Sounds like your lucky day: http://time.com/4324490/civilization-6-interview/#prclt-FQ1DJIiB

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

hm, didn't see any mention of AI in the original press but that's a little encouraging. Remains to be seen what kind of a job they'll do, the cynic in me says that strong AI doesn't ship units but we'll see.

• Advertisement

While everyone already knows... here it is anyway:

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

intune wrote: »
    While everyone already knows... here it is anyway:

:D:D:D

Thanks for the trailer that is in the first post on this thread...?

Ha lol... I must have been asleep really. Read it all and didn't even see that...:confused::P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,573 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A new video gives more detail about how those 'unpacked' cities are going to work: really looks like the placement of these districts - and Wonders - is going to be pretty strategic:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

It's very "Endless Legend" in that respect, eh? Maybe Endless Legend borrowed it from elsewhere, apologies if they did, I'm still a relative newcomer to this genre - it's become more appealing as I've gotten older :D

Googles Endless Legend

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Has anyone here played that extensively and how does it stack up to the Civ series?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Cormac... wrote: »
    Has anyone here played that extensively and how does it stack up to the Civ series?

Dunno about extensively, but I did put 30 hours into it.

Rather than try and remember I'll post some of my thoughts from another thread:
    I stuck a fair few hours into it but for TBS games 30 hours isn't a whole lot. By no means do I regret getting it but it was something I picked up and put down without being hugely impacted.

I think the level of focus that each race has, the lack of units and the small tech tree makes for pretty shallow gameplay.

I really like the districts idea, the way the questing and pacification of lesser civs work and the sheer volume of resources you harvest (giving you massive latitude in how you build and focus your cities) but it's not enough to drive the core gameplay on.
    The way combat plays out is possibly a better solution than Civs 1 unit per tile as well, or at least there's elements to it that ought to be taken on board.

They're things I'd love for Civ to explore with it's greater complexity.

Maybe I'm being unfair in comparing it to the champion of the genre or maybe my biases from playing civ are leading me to play it the wrong way, but it was little more than a brief diversion for me.
    I ended up picking up Endless Legend at some point during the sales.

Life's too short for Civ 5 to be the only 4X game you ever play.

It's interesting to see some of the relatively subtle differences that I really like, but also how much less I like it as a game on the whole despite those, although I don't want to be too critical because it's entirely possible I've overplayed Civ5 to the point where I don't like the genre anymore in general.

I love the increased granularity of resources - there's much more flexibility in how you manage your cities. The economy buildings give you huge bonuses that vary wildly depending on your terrain.

There's more balance in starting places with even "useless" tiles giving some yields.

Some of the cool faction-specific traits really change how you play the game.

I really hated 1 UPT from Civ5 - possibly the games primary fundamental weakness - so EL's take was a much better compromise IMO.

I liked the levelling system as well, but haven't quite got to grips with the inventory system yet.
    And there's the

Butttt.. there's something missing.
    Not only are there too few factions, but there are particularly too few "standard" factions for my liking - as far as I can tell, only the Vaulters and Elf-guys (whatever they're called) use the "normal" game mechanics.
    There certainly aren't enough standard units. I know that it pushes you towards assimilated units from other factions, but it's not a good enough solution to the problem IMO.

Because of the large quantities of resources availble, the game has a pretty steep learning curve in some respects - not getting the basics, but learning how to play the AI in the same way.
    I'm finding it a lot easier to fall miles behind in this, or generally cock things up beyond repair, than I would in Civ 5.

I keep wanting to go back to it, but I'm tending to quit games after about 100 turns.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Civilization 6 E3 Demo, Narrated by Sean Bean

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

ShaneU wrote: »
    Civilization 6 E3 Demo, Narrated by Sean Bean
    Who else skipped the first 11 minutes to find out how he dies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Billy86 wrote: »
    Who else skipped the first 11 minutes to find out how he dies?

Gotta die somehow. Maybe the game kills him.....

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Doodleking

it will be available only on Microsoft?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Doodleking wrote: »
    it will be available only on Microsoft?

Looks like it's just Windows for now, but I'd be shocked if there wasn't a Mac version released at a later date. Pretty sure that's what happened with 5.

I think so too!
    Can't wait to get my hands on this one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Damnit.. I can see many many hours being spent on this! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

How do the Civ games perform on Mac?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,893 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Pickpocket wrote: »
    How do the Civ games perform on Mac?

I have Civ V on Mac and it works a treat.

Civ VI is coming on Mac but it's not being released the same time as the PC version. Hopefully it's out before Christmas and on Steam. I can see this becoming a Christmas present for me.

Wonder what do people reckon will be DLCs?
    Montezuma is just a pre-order early unlock as far as I know (I'd assumed it was DLC). Everyone else will get to play as the Aztecs a few weeks after launch.

I would presume there'll be 3-4 new civs before the first full expansion and given that this the first time Persia wasn't in vanilla civ since Civ 1 I'd imagine they'll be in the first wave.

There's no native american or south asian civs either (bar India), which is also unusual.

Then of course, they seem to have set up multiple leaders again (which I approve of).
    I heard Gorgo of Sparta was going to be another Greek civ but I can't remember where that came from.

• Advertisement

I spotted this over on r/civ.

I suspect it's going to come in handy:

jEnq8ZR.png

Advertisement