Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sid Meier's Civilization VI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Would be absolutely brilliant if I know WTF I was looking at LMAO....deffo gonna get this day one I loved the old one I had even if I was crap at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Would be absolutely brilliant if I know WTF I was looking at LMAO....deffo gonna get this day one I loved the old one I had even if I was crap at it.

I am guessing this is someone's attempt at the ideal city design?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Zillah wrote: »

Ohhh right, I taught it was BLOCKBUSTERS!!!!!

I'll have a "C" please Bob?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

F**k, I'm getting PTSD of having those Optimised Builds in Anno 2070 here. I even had Apps for that game for that kind of stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Nah, I think it just shows how each district interacts with every other one.

• Advertisement

Gbear wrote: »
    Nah, I think it just shows how each district interacts with every other one.

Oh good. Cos I hate when people game a system to that point. Hopefully terrain diversity makes an ideal build impossible.

Oh good. Cos I hate when people game a system to that point. Hopefully terrain diversity makes an ideal build impossible.

Sure it's all random. Unless you build your own map like that above and put your starting city there, but sure thats pretty much cheating like :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

What has ye so optimistic about civ 6 ? I never played beyond earth but alot of people were disappointed by it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

What has ye so optimistic about civ 6 ? I never played beyond earth but alot of people were disappointed by it?

BE was disappointing because it felt like a cheap reskin and a cash grab.
    The same with Starships.

Civ 6 very much looks like the real deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Beyond Earth was more a divergence though, almost seemed like a side project where they hadn't put enough depth into it. I've never been disappointed in a mainline Civ game in the least (didn't get Civ V until the expansions were out though due to a really crappy old laptop at the time) and my expectations are the same here again. Won't be shocked if the original release isn't mind-blowing, though.

Also I've gone and bought myself all the parts for a high end gaming PC off Amazon in the last few days with 16GB of RAM, an SSD, i5 6600k processor and GTX 970 graphics card - delighted because I found a case the size of an A4 sheet of paper (and only 1 inch taller than the larger smartphones), some have arrived already and the last bits are due on the 19th, right in time for the game. Haven't had anything beyond a 'good' standard use laptop before so I'm excited for this though I'm also sure I'll lose my mind getting it set up. Still, no more waiting an eternity between turns late in the game (hopefully) too! :p

• Advertisement

Man I hated BE. I say that as someone with hundreds of hours in Civ 5 and a huge scifi fan. I had always thought a game set after the science victory would be great. It was just a really badly made game. Felt entirely like they stuck the B-team on it. Awful game decisions, muddy UI, aliens and alienworld had no personality.

Civ 6 looks like that's where the A-team were working while the cash-grab interns were making a haims of BE.

Some of the 'additional era' mods in Civ V were absolutely incredible (loved doing prehistoric and some sci-fi type futuristic ones). What I'd love someone to do though it's a ridiculously tall order, would be to make a mod where after building your spaceship you can go to other planets in the galaxy and inhabit them. Maybe 6-10 extra planets, with 1-2 being ideal and the rest being a mix of almost/entirely uninhabitable or only inhabitable in very certain areas etc (with the rest on those ones damaging units for every turn they spend there, making them very difficult to capture if you're too far behind in the space race).

Like I said it's a tall order, but I've been playing Civ since I was about 6 or 7 years old and my dad got it on a pre-Steve Jobs era Mac we had... if I'm right it was on that one that winning the space race was when you landed on Alpha Centauri, always wanted to be able to do a carry-over since seeing that. Make my childhood nerd dream some true, whoever you are random nerdier than me nerd who's also smarter than me at this stuff!! :o

lol 1859

Someone avoided the dark ages.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Man I hated BE. I say that as someone with hundreds of hours in Civ 5 and a huge scifi fan. I had always thought a game set after the science victory would be great. It was just a really badly made game. Felt entirely like they stuck the B-team on it. Awful game decisions, muddy UI, aliens and alienworld had no personality.

Civ 6 looks like that's where the A-team were working while the cash-grab interns were making a haims of BE.

I remember watching a panel though and it had sid and what looked too be all the main Devs at some games conference (can't remember which one), they had worked on the previous titles , they certainly didn't look like interns and they were all talking it up and showed live gameplay footage, one of them played it live and the audience seemed impressed and then I only hear negative too not impressed views on it, so I was just wondering where it went it wrong, like why would ye trust them again if it was just a cash in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭JD1763

After watching a few lets plays from serious civ players, I pre-ordered 6. My main problem with Civ 5 was that despite a very dynamic early game, you tended to then fall into the same channel mid to late as you pursued a particularly victory. I think there's more flexibility built into 6 that will make for more interesting and varied games.

The graphics are a matter of taste really but to me they are a decent refresh and the bright colours are really appealing. The new barbarian mechanics are really good. Combined with the change to city bombardment, they are finally something to worry about as opposed to an xp farming machine.

The ability to customise your civilisation with the unlocked cards and the different government types is a nice addition.

I also picked up Beyond Earth at the time and enjoyed it for what it was. It was sold as a spiritual successor to Alpha Centauri not convinced by that but still had fun playing it when I wasn't in the mood for civ 5. It's also the only version that I've managed to fully complete a multiplayer session in.

I remember watching a panel though and it had sid and what looked too be all the main Devs at some games conference (can't remember which one), they had worked on the previous titles , they certainly didn't look like interns and they were all talking it up and showed live gameplay footage, one of them played it live and the audience seemed impressed and then I only hear negative too not impressed views on it, so I was just wondering where it went it wrong, like why would ye trust them again if it was just a cash in ?

Yeah, I'm not sure. I didn't look into BE much before I bought it; maybe if I had I'd have been turned off it. Civ 6 just looks really well made.

If Total Biscuit is ok with a Firaxis game, I am too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭SkinnyBuddha

does anyone know whats the cheapest price for this in a bricks and mortar shop? Its 60 euro on steam.....

does anyone know whats the cheapest price for this in a bricks and mortar shop? Its 60 euro on steam.....

What is the deal with CDKeys.com?

About the only games I've bought for the PC for the last few years were Civ V and two or three Football Manager games (plus the very rare Steam sale purchase, like when GTA IV was about €4).

I've just finished building my first gaming PC that I've been slowly tipping away at for months about an hour ago (just need to pick up the RAM stick tomorrow since the house was empty when they delivered earlier). Anway, CDKeys are dirt cheap, so I figured it was illegal but Steam seem to say they're grand with it. Then I figured it was a scam, but I did a test run on one of the earlier Arkham games and the Tomb Raider game from 3-4 years ago for about €10 combined and both worked fine (just my laptop wasn't able to run them well enough).

They're selling Civ VI at €40 which is very tempting when released, but just curious what the score with that website in general is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Bought the collectors edition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭thegame983

Billy86 wrote: »
    What is the deal with CDKeys.com?

About the only games I've bought for the PC for the last few years were Civ V and two or three Football Manager games (plus the very rare Steam sale purchase, like when GTA IV was about €4).

I've just finished building my first gaming PC that I've been slowly tipping away at for months about an hour ago (just need to pick up the RAM stick tomorrow since the house was empty when they delivered earlier). Anway, CDKeys are dirt cheap, so I figured it was illegal but Steam seem to say they're grand with it. Then I figured it was a scam, but I did a test run on one of the earlier Arkham games and the Tomb Raider game from 3-4 years ago for about €10 combined and both worked fine (just my laptop wasn't able to run them well enough).

They're selling Civ VI at €40 which is very tempting when released, but just curious what the score with that website in general is?

It's fine. I've bought loads of games off them

• Registered Users Posts: 82,682 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Can't wait for this, I've cleared my weekend for a proper binge.

thegame983 wrote: »
    It's fine. I've bought loads of games off them

Cheers! Should just be setting up and getting my own stuff downloaded off Steam after work tomorrow, but with the prices they have on some games it would almost be a shame not to build up a little collection.

I mean Mad Max for €6, Witcher 3 for €13, Doom for €22 (really have been looking forward to this after seeing some high setting, 60fps gameplay videos), Fallout 4 or €22 and a bunch of ridiculously highly rated 4-5 year old titles for under a tenner... can't argue really!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Jesus, that has crept up - for some reason I thought we had another month until launch

Can't wait for this, I've cleared my weekend for a proper binge.

I have family visiting. Damn you, loved ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Billy86 wrote: »
    Cheers! Should just be setting up and getting my own stuff downloaded off Steam after work tomorrow, but with the prices they have on some games it would almost be a shame not to build up a little collection.

I mean Mad Max for €6, Witcher 3 for €13, Doom for €22 (really have been looking forward to this after seeing some high setting, 60fps gameplay videos), Fallout 4 or €22 and a bunch of ridiculously highly rated 4-5 year old titles for under a tenner... can't argue really!

Buy a safe. Give your wife the combination and stick your debit card in it.

Then set up an account on isthereanydeal.com and start up a wishlist, you can pick a game and decide what you're willing to pay for it. They'll send you an email if the price falls below that. Say you said you'd pay €10 for the witcher 3, as soon as it went on sale for less than that you'd get an email and a link.

Then when you get the email try to convince the wife it's a good buy, only then do you deserve the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Ah brilliant, got word from Gamestop, that my order has been shipped :):)

Digital Solitude, thanks for that... but more importantly thank you SO much for the advise in the pc build forum you gave me! Finally got the last few pieces today, everything installed and I am quite literally on the front screen of GTA V as I type this! :) Cannot thank you enough for all your help!!

I've a few pics attached, sugo sg13b is surprisingly roomy for what I've got in there (including a gtx 970), plan on putting a liquid cooler in if I need it down the line, and for size perspective I put it beside a can of coke... The white thing on top of one of the attached images is an A4 sheet of paper, they're pretty much identical size (it's 7" tall also).

And just to pester you two last times, because I nearly sh*t myself on a number of occasions when I couldn't get anything on the screen and then had a good few issues configuring bios etc, and really don't want to go through that again! :pac:

Just had to ask is that wiring setup OK? Made sure to avoid any fans but still just want to be safe if you have any tips? And finally I put the psu in upside down so the fan would blow Sir upwards (CPU fan is directly below it, figured it would be counterproductive to have them blowing at each other) - that's ok, right?

Sorry for derailing the thread briefly lads, giddy as a child at Christmas right now, haven't even got to own a console in about a decade!! :D

Again a million thanks, you're a little absolute gent!

20161019_211453.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

PSU should be fine like that, is there steel above it or an exhaust?

Wiring looks fine, maybe bump your own thread instead of derailing this, sorry lads

• Advertisement

PSU should be fine like that, is there steel above it or an exhaust?

Wiring looks fine, maybe bump your own thread instead of derailing this, sorry lads

Ha sorry couldn't help myself there, fan leading straight to mesh for it to flow. Apologies again everyone, just kind of like a pig in sh*t about this. :o

Back on topic, can't wait to play Civ on it over the weekend. :D

Advertisement