Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sid Meier's Civilization VI

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Have the collectors edition in my hands :)

Thank you Gamestop, very speedy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I hope it is worth the extra €50 they prolly slapped onto the fookin thing....bleedin cowboys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    I hope it is worth the extra €50 they prolly slapped onto the fookin thing....bleedin cowboys!

There's some extra music which is a bit meh, but also all the DLC apparently. And both Civ IV, and especially Civ V, delivered very well on their DLC to be fair.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Having spent 3 hours this evening playing, I can safely say this game has been worth the wait. VERY in-depth and a lot more tactical than V. Feels like IV with V mixed with new ideas. I love it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Have the collectors edition in my hands :)

Thank you Gamestop, very speedy!!!

Someone thanking gamestop :eek:

That's a first :pac:

• Advertisement

Very tempted to pick this up, I had one of the others I think it was IV. I am not great at it unfortunately, I like to take my time and rule the world not dominate in 200 turns.

Will have a gander on STEAM and CDKEYS and see whats what. After I watch a few more UTOOB clips, any of you clever gents streaming it at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

My favourite thing they've added is boosting technologies by doing certain things related to the technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Hope the Linux pretty doesn't take too long. Really want to play this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

hmm im not convinced so far, but i havent got a chance to play much yet just about 2 hours . i loved civ 5 , have well over 1000 hours in it but this isnt grabbing me . while the visuals are pretty they are childish ,the game play is not as intuitive as 5 . i absolutely hate the new fog of war .

i really hope its just old man syndrome on my part :P not liking change haha ,
    because the movement and combat looks great . for now meh:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

Cormac... wrote: »

wtf lol . anyone remember the flying dutchman fro AOE2?

Well this is awkward...

qKhCO3J.png

(saw it on reddit)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Really liking it so far.

Big ups to the developers for making a game that actually works without any issues on launch!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,893 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

This came out on Mac today but I bought Football Manager last week so it's gonna have to wait. I've got €23 on my steam account so might ask for some more for Christmas to add to it and buy it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

How is everyone finding this?

I'd planned to buy it as a birthday treat but then Bank Holiday came along and I bought it a month early. Had struggled getting it to boot up for the first time so only got to play it last night for the first time.

My first game lasted an hour before Barbarians wiped out all my troops and my second settler. I wasn't happy with my city location anyway so restarted. Put a couple of hours into the second attempt. I feel remarkably similar to how I was a couple of hours into V which is underwhelmed and slightly confused but I ended up sinking hundreds of hours into V and I'm sure VI will go the same way.

I'm trying to get my head around the new amenities and housings system and I've no idea if I'm placing sectors in the right way. In fact the in-game hints, tips and feedback seem to be a bit of a step-back from what we've seen before. V was giving advice and feedback (possibly annoyingly so) on basic gameplay features but with VI last night it seemed like the game was leaving it for me to work out myself or delve into the help section and do my reading. Which is fine but I think it will make this a daunting prospect for new players.

I don't like the new fog of war system although I'm guessing that the map becomes more visible as you develop more technologies and advance through the eras.

Won a Game as England using Culture on Prince (3rd game, 1st 2 were kind of "false starts")
    Learned a lot in the process.
    2nd Game as Rome is going well, starting to get the hang of it more.
    I am letting myself take a bit more time before passing full judgement.
    I think some of the stuff is SUPER frustrating, but time will tell if it's patched/modded out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

In my second game.
    Playing Diety, and loving it.

First game went a bit strange. I started on a small island, enough room for 4 cities.

By the time I got irconclad's, everyone apart from 2 other's were dead.... and they were allied and beat me black and blue.

This one is going a little better. slightly holding my own after a successful take over of 3 city states and 4 cities from the romans.

Cant get into this at all, AI seems very bugged. As soon as you discover any other civ within 5 turns they spouting some crap to start a war with you. If you even run past a border chasing barbarians its a denouncement and war ALL THE TIME.

FYI....GANDHI IS A PRICK!!!!

Yeah the latter thing annoys me. I had an alliance with China in my game and we did a couple of joint wars together until they denounced me because my troops were near them. My troops were passing through to get to the country that they had asked me to go to war against!

I finished my first game the other night. I don't know, I felt like everything took too long to build but it was too easy and quick to research everything. I completely exhausted the tech tree by the mid 1980s without ever focusing on science.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

The diplomacy and relationship AI does really need a bit of an overhaul, it's even more skewed than in previous games. Maybe it's because we can directly see what's "upsetting" the AI in this one that makes it clear how messed up it actually is.

• Advertisement

it's also a bit predictable - there's always one AI that decides to start a war with you for no real reason after around 80-100 turns. Then you defend the city, attack back, and they try make peace. It's annoying cause it always sets me back.

Diplomacy/AI is the worst feature in this game atm hands down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Cant get into this at all, AI seems very bugged. As soon as you discover any other civ within 5 turns they spouting some crap to start a war with you. If you even run past a border chasing barbarians its a denouncement and war ALL THE TIME.

FYI....GHANDI IS A PRICK!!!!

ended up in a nuclear exchange with him. Completely devastated an entire continent.

Dont get me wrong I am not great at this at all, I am currently in a game (Rome) and its on the easiest difficulty to get the hang of it. I still dont get alot of it, like today I have about 1800 pts in faith and I cant do a ****in thing with it. Did not get to pick a religion (is it even that important if you are not going for a religious win) and when all cities get to a certain size no matter what you do you just cannot get amenities so a rebellion occurs constantly....

Dont get me wrong I am not great at this at all, I am currently in a game (Rome) and its on the easiest difficulty to get the hang of it. I still dont get alot of it, like today I have about 1800 pts in faith and I cant do a ****in thing with it. Did not get to pick a religion (is it even that important if you are not going for a religious win) and when all cities get to a certain size no matter what you do you just cannot get amenities so a rebellion occurs constantly....

You can use faith to buy religious units/buildings in cities with a holy site, or another use I only noticed deep into my second game was that you can use it to buy great people (one of the small icons directly above the larger tech/culture research icons). Take a careful look at what the great person offers though, it is different for each one in Civ VI - some are amazing to get, some are only slightly useful.

Yeah I was in the same position as you Wonda-Boy - I had a huge number of faith points but nothing to spend them on - I don't think the game really explains the faith and religion system very well.

Suddenly I realised I could buy loads of troops so spent everything on a cheap army. you can't buy modern era troops with faith so don't sit on them for too long although you should still be able to buy great people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Kal El

How does this hold up to the previous game? Is it worth a buy

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Cina wrote: »
    it's also a bit predictable - there's always one AI that decides to start a war with you for no real reason after around 80-100 turns. Then you defend the city, attack back, and they try make peace. It's annoying cause it always sets me back.

The predictability of it is a little annoying, but I think it helps you quite a bit in the long run: you've just acquired someone else's capital. I think you also play the way I do, which is to say that military is wasted expenditure until it is needed, so you look weak in the eyes of the AI and their scripts - which pay little attention to how quickly you could get your defenses up - tell them you're easy pickings.

My biggest pet peeve is that trade is basically impossible in this game; more so than I remember it being in V.

Me: Hey Roosevelt, want to trade some jade for ivory?
    Roo: Sure, but also pay me one hundred billion dollars. I will except nothing less than a 10:1 trade ratio in my favour.

Zillah wrote: »
    The predictability of it is a little annoying, but I think it helps you quite a bit in the long run: you've just acquired someone else's capital. I think you also play the way I do, which is to say that military is wasted expenditure until it is needed, so you look weak in the eyes of the AI and their scripts - which pay little attention to how quickly you could get your defenses up - tell them you're easy pickings.

My biggest pet peeve is that trade is basically impossible in this game; more so than I remember it being in V.

Roo: Sure, but also pay me one hundred billion dollars. I will except nothing less than a 10:1 trade ratio in my favour.
    Yeah you make a good point. I never really build units beyond necessary scouts and infantry for handling barbarians. I find that once you build up walls on a city and get archers/crossbowmen it's pretty easy to defend until you start purchasing more units, repel them, and then conquer their cities. Admittedly I haven't played harder than Prince difficulty yet but supposedly the AI never becomes very good at attacking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Zillah wrote: »

Diplomacy and trade are two areas that really really need work. I mean, there are cases when you'll accept a **** trade, because you really need the amenities, or the gold per turn or whatever.

The AI doesn't suffer from this because they get so many benefits, but it skews trade bigtime when they don't have the same wants as a human player.
    Kal-El wrote:
    How does this hold up to the previous game? Is it worth a buy

I think so, yeah. If you can wait though, then wait for some patches and maybe an expansion, or for a sale. It will only get better.

Advertisement