Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sid Meier's Civilization VI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I have yet to have a 1-for-1 trade of luxuries/resources accepted by the AI. Seems f**king s**t tbh

"Oranges for Spices?"
    "No"
    "What will make this deal work?"
    "Hmmmm, let me see Cormac, how about 251 Gold now, another 8 Gold Per Turn, Silver and Open Borders.... oh and the Oranges obviously"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I think trades might get better the more you trade with a different civ. Admittedly I had a HUGE chunk of land as I was Greece and used my hoplites to grab Washington off of Roosevelt extremely early leaving me with a 20-city continent (and lots of recources) to myself, but on king I was getting offered 1-for-1 trades off the bat and usually was able to demand some gold per turn on top of it. I was also getting 8+ gold per turn early, and 12-15+ gold per turn as well 100-200+ up front for a single resource by the Industrial/Modern eras. I also turned down a lot of 1-for-1 trades, and set a minimum price in my head (5 GPT early on, 7/8 by medieval, 9-10+ from industrial onwards).

It might also depend on the Civ, because Giglamesh almost always gave me a considerably better offer than the others.

I also noticed, not always but sometimes the computer will opt to give you 70-100 gold up front over 1 extra gold per turn (which is only for 30 turns). It might be that when you are dictating good terms, other civs are willing to offer you more as a result - rich get richer scenario. At one point I had 20 or so cities, all with basic buildings, most with districts, some with multiple districts... and either one or zero commercial zones (can't remember exactly) as well as very few caravans (all of which were internal for growth and production due to having so many small/new cities) and was still making 200+ GPT profit, probably almost exclusively off trading resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I don't mind them making stupid demands if you go into negotiations.

There's a wide spectrum of value depending on your relationship and the state of the game in general, from massively favouring you to being utter rubbish.

However, I really wish they wouldn't bother wasting your time by coming to you with insane offers. If they won't accept something fine, but there's already lots of clutter and bull**** you have to wade through every turn, especially late game, and that just makes it worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    like today I have about 1800 pts in faith and I cant do a ****in thing with it. Did not get to pick a religion (is it even that important if you are not going for a religious win)

Faith is still there as a currency, however it alone is no longer the determining factor for whether you get a religion or not. Holy Sites and the religious buildings within them generate Great Prophet points, and you need to those to earn your prophet to start a religion.

If you're behind on points, you can try to accelerate it by doing the Holy Site Prayers project in the city for a small chunk of points and bonus faith; plus you can use some of your accumulated faith to "rush buy" the prophet if you need it sooner.

Religions are still somewhat important like in 5, as the benefits they provide to a city can't be completely overlooked.
    and when all cities get to a certain size no matter what you do you just cannot get amenities so a rebellion occurs constantly....

When you start getting into the mid-to-late game, it's even more important to start building entertainment complexes around your empire to help provide amenities to cities. They also have a ranged effect with Zoos and Stadiums - like Industrial Zones and the Factories and Power Plants - so don't just drop them down willy-nilly. There's also a late-game policy for +4 housing and +2 amenities in exchange for -8 gold in every city with at least 3 districts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Have to say had a great game today, the game is so much better in the mid to late era. Got so ahead with research that I was 2 era's ahead of the nearest AI not even entirely sure how I did it TBH. But attacking capitals with tanks and they repelling you with spear-men is ****in great!

Also, Hit the brazilian capital Rio with a WMD and rolled nearly half my tanks in to site it out.......did not realise the contamination zone (sparkles on map) and about 6 tanks just melted over two turns LMFAO!

Gonna up the difficulty now and go again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Huge amount of changes in todays update, pretty much addressing the main complaints - UI and AI. Also DX12 mode added to some cards. Full patchnotes here

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Huge amount of changes in todays update, pretty much addressing the main complaints - UI and AI. Also DX12 mode added to some cards. Full patchnotes here

Huh.
    "Added a visual cue for Barbarian Scouts that are alerted to your city."

So it would seem the barbarians actually need to scout out your city before they can attack it. That's actually really cool.

Zillah wrote: »
    Huh.
    "Added a visual cue for Barbarian Scouts that are alerted to your city."

So it would seem the barbarians actually need to scout out your city before they can attack it. That's actually really cool.

That was something they went on about a bit before launch.

The spawn of horsemen and warriors isn't random. You only get those once a scout finds your territory and then makes it back to the encampment.

It'll bee-line back to the camp, so you can trap it if the terrain favours you, but at the same time, it's such a pain in the hole to get around that quite often you still can't catch him.

Then you're well out of your territory and it goes from maybe 1 warrior+1 slinger vs a scout to 1 warrior+ 1 slinger vs a spearmen, and 2 horsemen.

It can be frustrating but I think the added difficulty is usually a bonus and it's more skill-based than the endless stream of barbs in Civ 5.

Jaysus was in a hell of a battle against Japan that lasted so long I could not update my amenities. I was playing as France with my spearmen and the odd knight, when my city rebelled against my lack of said amenities!!!

Low and behold 3 "INFANTRY" spawn as a rebellion....I mean loike WTF how long was I fighting Japan ffs!

I must have changed era's mid fight and upgraded a few tech and this is what happened.

Needless to say fighting the Japs and the Rebellion I lost the city!

Being Friday and usually get a chinese I didnt as a protest!!!

Gbear wrote: »
    That was something they went on about a bit before launch.

The spawn of horsemen and warriors isn't random. You only get those once a scout finds your territory and then makes it back to the encampment.

It'll bee-line back to the camp, so you can trap it if the terrain favours you, but at the same time, it's such a pain in the hole to get around that quite often you still can't catch him.

Then you're well out of your territory and it goes from maybe 1 warrior+1 slinger vs a scout to 1 warrior+ 1 slinger vs a spearmen, and 2 horsemen.

It can be frustrating but I think the added difficulty is usually a bonus and it's more skill-based than the endless stream of barbs in Civ 5.

It would be super cool if they made the slightest mention of this mechanic in the game.

• Advertisement

One thing about the game is that is over before the Atomic/Information era, the last two game I played (full ones) I won on culture and then score when I was just into the modern stuff. Now I am suspecting it is because I am playing on the lower difficulty...am I right on that front?

I started on the lowest and everytime I win I up the level of difficulty, now I dont think I will ever get to the higher ranks but its the only way to find what my level is.

France is quite the Civ to use for culture victory, and them imperial units are very good.

Gandhi next I think wanna rampage with a few DUMBOS!

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭thegame983

One thing about the game is that is over before the Atomic/Information era, the last two game I played (full ones) I won on culture and then score when I was just into the modern stuff. Now I am suspecting it is because I am playing on the lower difficulty...am I right on that front?

I started on the lowest and everytime I win I up the level of difficulty, now I dont think I will ever get to the higher ranks but its the only way to find what my level is.

France is quite the Civ to use for culture victory, and them imperial units are very good.

Gandhi next I think wanna rampage with a few DUMBOS!

I find that king is the sweet spot difficulty for me. Anything below that and you out tech the AI too easily, but you should still win the game

Is there anything more satisfying then NUKING a city that waged war on you...I was so beaten by both Saladin and Cleopatra they both waged war on me.

I had a small army and 3 nukes with 3 subs.......needless to say it did not end well for them 2 before I went!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Is there anything more satisfying then NUKING a city that waged war on you...I was so beaten by both Saladin and Cleopatra they both waged war on me.

I had a small army and 3 nukes with 3 subs.......needless to say it did not end well for them 2 before I went!

There should be a mapwide effect for use of nukes. Say 10 are fired, map tiles should all turn to Tundra overcast few turns.

The animation of the nuke "hovering" out of the sub slightly sideways is ****in deadly, I start wars just to look at it.....(A bit like Trump I am no idea what I am doing)

Won my 2nd game there, was playing Rome on Prince, was going for a Religious victory (had 80% of cities converted) and ended up winning by Domination kind of by accident. Forgot you only had to take everyones Initial capitals.

That being said, seeing poor Cleopatras Chariot Archers whiffing arrows at my Lvl 5 Rocket Artillery Corp was enjoyable.

Ended up with a Lvl 7 Machine Gun Army (3 combined units) and essentially conquered and entire continent with them, the Rocket Artillery and a set of Modern Infantry

I didn't want a war, but if you bring war to my doorstep, i'll gladly oblige.

Greece, Norway and Brazil all declared war on me and I wiped all of them from the history books in self defence.
    After that I had enough of France and Egypt's sarky looks and annoying quips. So I f**ked them up just for kicks

Slingers against modern infantry was something that actually happened too muwhahahahaha.

Kind of felt that I totally OP'd Science without even tying. Had a Campus in most cities, and when you end up chaining The Boosts/Eureka effects, it gets cheap. There are some policies that are OP. Like 100% greater science from Campus districts, can't remember specifics but I think I jumped from ~300 science to ~480. Had the same thing with Gold, was running max trade routes the whole game and buffing them.

Policies are not to be underestimated. Finally wrapped my head around the passive buffs you get for researching civics, will be sure to keep an eye on that next game more closely.

Still feel my citizen management is rubbish, but just haven't wanted to get too bogged down in it.

I had my eye opening moment with Corps and Armies too which was helpful.

One thing I miss is getting either improved roads earlier or having Railways. I mean I was building a space-port yet it still took 9 turns for my units to traverse the main continent I was inhabiting :/

So I have Cultural and Domination victories done, now to go for Science or Religion victories.

I don't like the new city view, and clicking on cities to get to see/do what you want is really pernickety.

Apostles that get the buff to wipe an opposing religion from a city are a god-send

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

it is annoying that even if you're on friendly terms with nations they just decide to declare war on you at the same time around 120 turns in, every single game! and that's even with the patch. frustrating.

I also think barbarians are waaaaay too annoying in this. Like, I get why they're there, but having them repeatedly respawn right beside your cities in the exact same place you already took them out previously is such a pain, especially when your army is already fighting against 2 nations who for no reason started a bloody war on you!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

My second game keeps crashing at the end of the turn I'm on. Think I'm going to have to abort and start again. I'm quite enjoying Civ VI but it hasn't yet clicked with me the way that IV and V had by this point (40+ hours on the game clock). I feel like I spend most of the game not doing very much and just waiting for things to be built.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Cormac... wrote: »
    That being said, seeing poor Cleopatras Chariot Archers whiffing arrows at my Lvl 5 Rocket Artillery Corp was enjoyable.

Slingers against modern infantry was something that actually happened too muwhahahahaha.

This kind of stuff really annoys me. It takes me out of the game when I'm fighting against troops two or three eras out of date.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,603 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

bought this during the weekend after a few pints, never played civ games before, is there a good place where i can read up about what to do, or will i just crack straight into it ?

• Advertisement

2smiggy wrote: »
    bought this during the weekend after a few pints, never played civ games before, is there a good place where i can read up about what to do, or will i just crack straight into it ?

Probably best to go on the easy setting with the tutorial. There is a 'civlopedia' you can look at in the game to help a bit too, it's a tricky learning curve at first but I'd imagine once it clicks it gets very. It's also the type of game you don't 100% need fullscreen for, so can always google around for anything you're stuck on with relative ease.

Have a look at this lads videos he is very good and some of his videos are gas.....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-oLHWHrgpHh3qN2VWRfUQ/videos

Just search for the early tutorials and that....

Lads what is the story with spies in general, what research does it take to get them and why can I only make 1-2 per 50 turns or whatever?

Any ideas?

Even very late in game with 3-4K gold 4-5 big cities they take an age to give you the option.

Spies are capped, so you can get certain techs/civics that will "Allow you 1-2 additional spies". They just take long to train since they are so handy I guess. I don't think you can have more than 4 to 6 Spies all things depending

I like Spies in this game more than previous Civs

I won my 1st "King" game as Arabia.... won by culture despite several re-loads when I was like 20 turns away from space victory

At one stage I gave away(for free, as gifts) all my great works.... still won due to culture with the Spaceship like 7 turns from being built

Minor annoyance, but I physically could not stop a culture victory despite not having more than maybe 1 Theater District for 75% of the game

Also a King Game on a Large Map (8 Civs) can be Stupidly long, like ~450 turns

I'm not the only Marathon/Huge map whore here, surely? :o

Billy86 wrote: »
    I'm not the only Marathon/Huge map whore here, surely? :o

Late game districts (without Mods) take too long to build for me to stay interested especially when you have to keep re-doing your 12-18 Trade Routes :o

Might not be the right thread but was wondering which Civilization game I should pick up. 4 seems the most praised but 3 is as well. Would it be worth playing 3 then 4? Or just pick any of them? :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Might not be the right thread but was wondering which Civilization game I should pick up. 4 seems the most praised but 3 is as well. Would it be worth playing 3 then 4? Or just pick any of them? :P

5 with all the expansions is my favourite.

CatInABox wrote: »
    5 with all the expansions is my favourite.

There's things lost from 4 that are a pity, but ultimately the hex tiles and destacked units make older games all but unplayable for me, unless i just want a quick muck around (Civ 2 is still fine for this, although you'd need an emulator or virtual PC probably).

I still haven't really bothered going back to Civ 6. It's stuck at about 250 hours, which seems like a lot, but I put thousands into the other titles from 2 onwards.

Eventually I'll probably pick up the latest expansion for peanuts on steam, but it just never grabbed me from whatever reason, as much as I liked some of the changes on paper.

• Advertisement

Gbear wrote: »
    but it just never grabbed me from whatever reason

This was my exact feeling. Nothing specific I could pick out that was wrong with it, I was just not interested.

Advertisement