Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manager disclosed the reason I was absent with a sick certificate

Options
  • 11-05-2016 4:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭

Is there a specific law/regulation in the Data Protection Act or similar regarding this?

I was absent from work on Monday for a specific reason. I went to the doctor and got a medical cert and was signed off for the remainder of the day. I called my manager to let him know, and that I would be fit to return the next day.

I came back in yesterday and everyone on our team knew the exact reason I was out and were asking me about it. Even a couple of people on teams from different departments who sit near us asked me about it, so it was obviously discussed out loud on the office floor.

I'm very, very annoyed over the whole thing and haven't said anything yet. But the more I think about it, the more angry I get.

Is there anything I can refer to that states this information shouldn't be discussed unless I disclose it myself? I only told him over the phone, so I don't have a written letter or email marked "Confidential" to point to.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

It's a breach of your data protection rights. However, I would discuss it with your manager first and insist that he does not disclose your personal information to other employees. If that fails, I would contact the Data Protection Commissioner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

glued wrote:
    It's a breach of your data protection rights. However, I would discuss it with your manager first and insist that he does not disclose your personal information to other employees. If that fails, I would contact the Data Protection Commissioner.

Oh yeah, I'm not going to go straight from 1 to 10 and go legal or anything, but I just wanted to know if what he done was legally wrong and not just "I'd rather you didn't" - if you know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭BRYAN Is Ainm Dom

I would bring the issue to HR. It is totally unacceptable for your manager to be discussing this with other employees.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

Speak with your manager first. If the reaction is poor or it happens again, then go to HR. Going directly to HR, although what the manager did was totally wrong, may get their backs up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

It's no defense, but it was probably done out of ignorance rather than malice. So I would start by talking to your supervisor and tell him that your personal details are not something that are relevant for discussion in the office.
    More than likely, someone asked where you where and he responded to say she's off with x but will be back tomorrow. Even if there wasn't a legal aspect to it, I would always talk to person directly first.
    If he is ****ty about it then escalate!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

It's no defense, but it was probably done out of ignorance rather than malice. So I would start by talking to your supervisor and tell him that your personal details are not something that are relevant for discussion in the office.
    More than likely, someone asked where you where and he responded to say she's off with x but will be back tomorrow. Even if there wasn't a legal aspect to it, I would always talk to person directly first.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

I worked in a really 'busy' (pressurised) company years ago. One of the employees rang in sick. The conversation went something like this;

Employee: I wont be in today boss, I am really sick.
    Boss: We have deadlines, how sick are you?
    Employee: I am in bed with my sister
    Boss: Oh....

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'd probably have this sort of conversation first.

It can be pretty typical of a work place conversation

"Hi is Joe Bloggs around, looking for him and he's not at his desk"
    "No he is out sick today, let me know there a few minutes ago"
    "Oh right, nothing serious I hope?"
    "A something about his back, said he should be back tomorrow"
    "Cool will catch him then"

I know in my office it's moreso that type of thing rather then people having a gossip etc.

I know with me personally, I had to take some time of last year due to my partner having a miscarriage. I didn't know how to convey the situation and the required time off I needed so I provided my manager the specifics. I did aks that it was kept relatively low key, but when I came back a lot of people offered their sympathies and condolences and it was an incredibly supportive atmosphere.

So during the first few instances I was a bit annoyed that the details were shared, but then it just transpired that I'm somewhat like and appreciated, and I know im part of a tight team and group, so everyone was just feeling for me.

Obviously a specific case. always worth speaking with the person involved at first, as it might just be an honest mistake, or they weren't aware you wanted discretion in the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

TheDoc wrote: »

I'd probably have this sort of conversation first.

It can be pretty typical of a work place conversation

"Hi is Joe Bloggs around, looking for him and he's not at his desk"
    "No he is out sick today, let me know there a few minutes ago"
    "Oh right, nothing serious I hope?"
    "A something about his back, said he should be back tomorrow"
    "Cool will catch him then"

I know in my office it's moreso that type of thing rather then people having a gossip etc.

I know with me personally, I had to take some time of last year due to my partner having a miscarriage. I didn't know how to convey the situation and the required time off I needed so I provided my manager the specifics. I did aks that it was kept relatively low key, but when I came back a lot of people offered their sympathies and condolences and it was an incredibly supportive atmosphere.

So during the first few instances I was a bit annoyed that the details were shared, but then it just transpired that I'm somewhat like and appreciated, and I know im part of a tight team and group, so everyone was just feeling for me.

Obviously a specific case. always worth speaking with the person involved at first, as it might just be an honest mistake, or they weren't aware you wanted discretion in the matter.
    I appreciate that you eventually came to the conclusion that you were liked and there was a support network at work, but if I found out details of the loss of my child were discussed at work and people approached me to broach the subject without consent I would unleash hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I appreciate that you eventually came to the conclusion that you were liked and there was a support network at work, but if I found out details of the loss of my child were discussed at work and people approached me to broach the subject without consent I would unleash hell.

different strokes for different folks i guess.

in general you know the people you would approach or not approach in a situation like that and im sure it depends on the business (big or small office, sociable office etc).

i think if you work with people for a long time you know yourself if there is that line.

in general as well i suppose people are well meaning in a situation like that and 'unleashing hell' as you put it might not be the best course of action, when the issue arises one could simply say i dont want this getting out i want to keep it private. thats a bit easier than unleashing hell on your colleagues who are just well meaning and want to sympathise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

However if they already knew that you were preggers, then at some stage you're going to have to tell them "not preggers any more". In that circumstance, it's actually easier if they know at a time when being supportive is helpful, rather than months later when they're wondering "isn't that baby about due".

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As much as it should seem obvious that you don't tell other people why someone is sick, if someone is a bit clueless socially or the office is close-knit, these things can happen.

As others say, no need to go nuts on it, just tell your boss that you would like them to keep that information to themselves in future unless you say otherwise. Only escalate if they don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Yeah it was done courteously and in a way that was actually appreciated. Someone would catch me while I was out smoking, or in the canteen and just an arm on the shoulder offering their sympathy and if I needed anything to just ask.

My department head also had a quick meet with me telling me to take whatever time I needed, no questions asked, just go. So it was an incredibly supportive thing. Granted it was awkward, I appreciated it how people learned of the situation ,and it was kept within my team.

I know a while back another colleague of mine suffered a tragedy in his personal life, and we were told discreetly and given some indication of what happened. It wasn't about having a gossip, but more so that the guy would likely take some time and be sporadically in office and therefore it got us all on the same page to cover his workload. I can only assume like me, he knew that people were told, but it wasn't malicious or gossipy. I've witnessed some instances whereby colleagues are clearly not pulling there weight, and there is nothing more awkward or embarrassing then lashing out at someone over them being slack as ****, and realise there is a serious reason as to why. (not that I've ever done it, but I've been in meetings or in earshot of someone lashing out, to then get a really awkward situation develop)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

I don't think that it is unreasonable for the reason why someone is not in work is not discussed around the office especially sickness. That information is given in confidence and should be treated as such. Privacy is a right after all and whatever the excuse that is given, it is unprofessional to disclose this information to other people who do not need to know.

Advertisement