Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private care question

Options
  • 11-05-2016 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has any experience in going private in Holles Street please? My job is pays for our health insurance which is quite a good package. We just need to pay the consultant fee, it varies consultant to consultant but they give you €400 towards it and then you can claim 20% back in tax.

I called laya, the girl I spoke to said after the consultant fee they pay for all hospital care... just checking that is correct? Or if anyone had experience with this? Should something go wrong, for example a caesarean or if something happened with the baby? The last thing I want is to be landed with a huge bill. Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Your policy should cover all hospital care, eg if you need a C Section on medical grounds and the nights in hospital for you and babs. Not sure any policy covers an elective section. I'm private in Holles St and you now have to pay €125 for blood tests, the 20 week scan (think this is €150) and your consultant. My consultant has her own scanner so she scans me at every appointment but can't do the big anomaly scan. I went private before and am doing so again, was money well spent in my opinion (for me). Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Had two sections under private care in Holles Street. Second was at my request but still covered by insurance as my consultant agreed it was necessary. Money well spent for us but be warned, you may have to put up with some public care which can be chaotic. I'll go private if required again though.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Kantava

I'm with gloheaalth. My antenatal care fee is 2750 and I get 300 back from that from insurer. That's in Kilkenny. They cover private room for three nights and semi private after that in case of section. And of course tax can be claimed back.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Seesee

Just be aware that if you go private there is absolutely no guarantee that your consultant will be there for the birth unless it is a planned section and your consultant will allocate their replacement, I don't think you have any say. Also, due to overcrowding you are not guaranteed a private bed and you could leave the hospital after 3 days never having seen one. Waiting times are much less than for semi or public though. Went private 3 times in Holles Street and would say it's worth it but wouldn't recommend certain Ob.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

Kantava wrote: »
    I'm with gloheaalth. My antenatal care fee is 2750 and I get 300 back from that from insurer. That's in Kilkenny. They cover private room for three nights and semi private after that in case of section. And of course tax can be claimed back.

Thanks Kantava, so if you or baby had to stay in hospital longer than the three nights, is your care still covered? Or are you build per night you were there? I was just worried should something go wrong

• Advertisement

Beyond three nights I am billed and covered as if for any other medical admission. Which is semi private as opposed to private cover on my policy. Phone them up if you need clarity as its good to know exactly where you stand.

I stayed five nights first time, four the second. On my first I might have had to stay an extra night due to difficulties with breastfeeding but this would have been covered by insurance and the accounts dept checked this beforehand for me.
    Anecdotal but everyone I know who's gone private in Holles Street since I had my first almost four years ago got a private room and had their consultant deliver their babies. Some spent a night on a semip room and then got moved. Keep asking for your private room if this happens and they will move you.
    The main benefit is continuity of care and having a consultant oversee the birth-I know loads of people sing the praises of midwives and don't want a consultant led birth but for me I wanted and needed that level of care, especially as I had complications first time and needed an elective section. Knowing my consultant was pretty much holding my hand through the entire process and dealing with the follow up care was worth all the money it cost.
    There are also consultants I will not recommend, for medical reasons.

Thank girls, I rang them again, it's very confusing the way the girl stated it... €400 towards approved conulsant fee.

You are covered for 3 night in a private room or 5 nights in a semi private room at time of birth, €3500 medical care (not sure what that entails or if this includes the room rate) and baby is added to policy for free until the next renewal date.

I asked her could she send it out to me in writing... maybe that will be clearer

stickybean wrote: »
    Thank girls, I rang them again, it's very confusing the way the girl stated it... €400 towards approved conulsant fee.

You are covered for 3 night in a private room or 5 nights in a semi private room at time of birth, €3500 medical care (not sure what that entails or if this includes the room rate) and baby is added to policy for free until the next renewal date.

I asked her could she send it out to me in writing... maybe that will be clearer
    Double check this in case you have a section. I was in five nights on my first and I would have gone insane in the semip ward-it isn't a room in HS, there's four or six bed wards.

Thanks lazygal...

Just looking on their site, it's so unclear what is and what is not covered... I have such a fear if something goes wrong we will be landed with a huge bill...

• Advertisement

I think the 400 goes against the antenatal care fee. And the hospital is covered. But I am not sure.

My general package is like this: Public hospital cover - private room 3 nights
    In-patient maternity consultant fees €865
    Newborns Free until next renewal

I also paid for an enhanced maternity package with glohealth. 'enhanced' me arse. It doesnt really get me anything that is useful. to me. I would prefer if they covered my necessary care properly rather than 25 euro here, and 40 euro there for stuff I can cover myself.

385766.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

stickybean wrote:
    Just looking on their site, it's so unclear what is and what is not covered... I have such a fear if something goes wrong we will be landed with a huge bill...

If you ring hospital accounts dept they're usually able to tell u

I think the 400 goes against the antenatal care fee. And the hospital is covered. But I am not sure.

My general package is like this: Public hospital cover - private room 3 nights
    In-patient maternity consultant fees €865
    Newborns Free until next renewal

I also paid for an enhanced maternity package with glohealth. 'enhanced' me arse. It doesnt really get me anything that is useful. to me. I would prefer if they covered my necessary care properly rather than 25 euro here, and 40 euro there for stuff I can cover myself.

so if you needed to stay in longer than 3 nights, are you covered?

Yes at the regular rate under my policy as if for any other admission.

Yes at the regular rate under my policy as if for any other admission.

AH okay! That makes sense... thank you :)

After contacted the hospital they directed me to this link:

http://www.nmh.ie/_fileupload/finance/TS%20FB%20Maternity%20Charges%20and%20Consultants%20Jan%202016.pdf

So looks like we are pretty much covered - thanks for the help :)

Advertisement