Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best summer rain jacket

• 11-05-2016 5:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭

Based on recommendations within this forum I have tried to purchase the Galibier Tourmalet - the XL is out of stock for another 10 weeks at least.

Has anybody any other recommendations? My budget is within €100.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

MLC61 wrote: »
    Based on recommendations within this forum I have tried to purchase the Galibier Tourmalet - the XL is out of stock for another 10 weeks at least.

Has anybody any other recommendations? My budget is within €100.

I had gore jacket years ago, only ever used it and was happy with it. Was small when rolled so used it when needed. So check what they got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I wear my Altura Varium during the summer over bib-shorts (no under layer) The two under arm zips can be opened for added cooling if necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mp31

Endura FS 260 Pro Adrenaline Race cape.
    More waterproof and more breathable than the Galibier.. and many others.
    V.light and packs into a small bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭jamesd

mp31 wrote: »
    Endura FS 260 Pro Adrenaline Race cape.
    More waterproof and more breathable than the Galibier.. and many others.
    V.light and packs into a small bag.

Have you used for heavy rain shower and what was it like ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭nilhg

jamesd wrote: »
    Have you used for heavy rain shower and what was it like ?

A heavy rain shower isn't going to trouble any decent quality jacket, it's the 3/4/5 hour spins in the rain that test them.

My Galibier Tourmalet got me through last year's Orwell Randonee, I wasn't dry at the finish but I'd got a long way round before the rain came through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭seven stars

I wear my Altura Varium during the summer over bib-shorts (no under layer) The two under arm zips can be opened for added cooling if necessary.

I have one of these but I'd find it too warm in summer. Not completely waterproof either.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 borris4

Etxeondo Lasal in black. Fits in jersey pocket, great as an extra layer if it's windy, showerproof.
    Waterproof jackets make you sweat ++ and are usually hi-vis making you look like a bin man on a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 borris4

Etxeondo Lasal in black. Fits in jersey pocket, great as an extra layer if it's windy, showerproof.
    Waterproof jackets make you sweat ++ and are usually hi-vis making you look like a bin man on a bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

I got one of these after much comparing and reviews.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-asv-event-waterproof-jacket/?sku=5360627886

I have it since the beginning of November last.

I've been out in the very worst of the rain we've had for up to 3 1/2 hours of persistent rain. I've worn it over a jersey on cold dry days for a couple of hours. In the last few days have worn it in warm wet weather. I've never failed to come home with a dry jersey under it and on the warmest day there was only the very slightest trace of "misting" in the forearms of the rain jacket.

Anyone looking for an extremely well designed and high performing jacket would do well to read the reviews on the site. I've had many cheaper jackets that either let in rain after a while or just sweated up. Some of these jackets cost 3/4 of what the E vent does so I am glad I spent the extra. It folds up really small and still looks brand new after the winter. If anyone is considering it they best realise that these are pure race fit - they fit tight. I was going to return mine for a larger size but really glad I kept it as the tight fit really is better than any flapping.

tldr : brilliant jacket and well worth the rather high price tag - read the reviews

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

^^ How tall and what weight are you, and what size did you go with?
    Also, your first pets name, mother's maiden name, date of birth, what you had for breakfast...?
    0o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

I am 185Cm, 82 kilos, 107cm chest.

I got an XL and am happy but probably would have been near enough XXL
    I went by their recommendations chart. Like I said, was doubtful when it arrived ( but wiggle returns are really good)

One thing - just went back into my order back in Nov, I only paid €95 as opposed to current price of €121.77

Advertisement