Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taste of Dublin ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

Only available for the early entry on Thursday & Friday until 4 pm. Nothing for the working person!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Only available for the early entry on Thursday & Friday until 4 pm. Nothing for the working person!

Im sure people work shift 16.00 - 00.00 perhaps? Waiters, bar workers etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

vicwatson wrote: »
    Im sure people work shift 16.00 - 00.00 perhaps? Waiters, bar workers etc etc

Don't be silly, if you don't work 9 to 5 you are a dole scrounger or a person of independent wealth!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭bnt

About this - I've been through the website but can't get a clear picture of what you do there. If I pay for a ticket, what do I get for it? Is it just entry, and you still have to pay if you want something to eat or drink? Are exhibitors providing samples etc? I'm looking for a reason to go, but the ticket is already expensive and I'm trying to justify the expense.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

As someone who went to bloom this year and was a little disappointed with amount of samples/tasters you get... How does taste of Dublin compare?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,635 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Last year... next to no food samples, certainly at evening sessions. You might get a taster here and there - or might not.
    If you were disappointed with samples at Bloom, you won't believe the lack at Taste of Dublin.

You are more likely to get tasters e.g. try a few beers and buy a pint of the one you like, ditto for glasses of wine.
    For successive years there's been a Taste of Thailand wine stand, whose whites are unexpectedly drinkable - and can be sampled for free... sadly I've yet to see them make it onto the shelves :(

The ALDI stand is a bit of a racket. They say to book a slot when you arrive yet the list is already mysteriously full no matter how early you get there...

Really to enjoy yourself you have to buy 'florins', which are €1e to 1f. No refunds at end of night and things wind up pretty quickly once the sun starts to go down.

And a 'small' plate sized portion of food costs about 6-7f, a glass of wine\pint 6f, bottles of wine better value at about 15f - 20f. The friday evening sessions ends up a bit boozy, the food stalls closing up relatively early and focus switches to the drinks stands and music.
    No screens to follow Euro 2016 unless you are in VIP area. I suspect most of the tickets that night are corporate.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Mmmmm, that doesn't sound great at all at all.......

What's in the aldi tent that you need to book?

The VIP ticket worth it?

I think the VIP pass comes with a welcome glass of Bollinger, and you can access the VIP areas which would be handy in rain or if you want to follow a football match... otherwise I could never justify paying double the price so don't know what goes on inside the tent :)

ALDI is supposed to be a free dinner showcasing ALDI's fresh meat \ seafood and exquisite wines... but all the places for friday evening are already full when it opens.

Couple of years ago there was a very good tent sponsored by Food and Wine Magazine doing a mini wine lecture and tastings, but didn't see them last year.

In general, if I wasn't on a subsidised corporate ticket I couldn't justify going to the friday evening session. Tickets for afternoon sessions are half the cost - suspect they may be more foodie and less boozy affairs.

Big Grill is much better value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

You won't get samples or tasters from the restaurants, mostly because they're selling taster sized portions anyway. You might get them from the stalls selling food & wine to take home with you and, as mentioned, from the bars if you're trying to make your mind up before picking something. I think I got a sample of Denny cold cooked chicken one year (v. small woop)

The menus and florin prices for each restaurant are now up on the Taste website, so you can suss out whether you think there's anything you'd really want to try...
    http://dublin.tastefestivals.com/restaurants/

• Advertisement

I suppose, if you can't afford to eat in some of the restaurants featured, I suppose it is a way (expensive) to sample dishes from them I suppose.

On the menu where it says paired with x wine.... Is it avarice to purchase with that food or must you have already purchased it else where

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Sure, and the food from the restaurants I've tried has been very, very good. Had the only bagel-y tasting bagel (ie - not a round bread roll) I've ever had in Ireland from the Old Spot last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

I really enjoyed the food last year but it cost pretty much the same amount as going out for a nice meal so I rather do that this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,425 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

A simple search on Boards.ie will give you a lot of opinions and experiences of how both punters and vendors feel about Taste of Rip off Dublin over the years

youngblood wrote: »
    I suppose, if you can't afford to eat in some of the restaurants featured, I suppose it is a way (expensive) to sample dishes from them I suppose.
    On the menu where it says paired with x wine.... Is it avarice to purchase with that food or must you have already purchased it else where

You can't get wine at the food stalls and vice versa iifrc, so you have to queue twice...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭bnt

duploelabs wrote: »
    A simple search on Boards.ie will give you a lot of opinions and experiences of how both punters and vendors feel about Taste of Rip off Dublin over the years
    Tried that, the only results were many years old. I was looking for a more up-to-date opinion, and now I have it. I may have a chance of getting in on the guest list, but if not I won't bother.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

I've been a few times. It's very expensive if you have lots of tastings as I do!! It's an enjoyable treat but it's definitely dear

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Can work out very pricey. I've been the last few years. I like my grub and wine, and every year drop about €140 between 2 of us.

If its a nice day, it can be a nice day out.

If it rains - you're fecked.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

bnt wrote: »
    Tried that, the only results were many years old. I was looking for a more up-to-date opinion, and now I have it. I may have a chance of getting in on the guest list, but if not I won't bother.

There's a recent thread in this very forum here :)

Advertisement