Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Memory problem?

Options
  • 11-05-2016 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭

Hello all, I've searched but can't find an answer and in some ways I'm a technophobe. Anyway I have a MS Surface 2 and I tried to install an app and got a message that I had little memory and should delete some apps. This to me is strange as I don't install much on my machine as any work I do is usually saved to my external hard drive.

I checked the PC info and got the following information.

773MB available of 25.3GB.

Apps 4.31GB
    Pictures 5.64GB
    Videos 0
    Music 0
    Documents 58.8MB
    Downloads 86.0MB
    Recycle bin 143MB

I would assume and would think that I could have used 773 but not to have that much available. I have automatic updates turned on but I can't see what would have drained my memory. Any solutions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

25GB says 32GB model. 32GB model comes with 18GB useable off the shelf.

10GB used in listed types, so a little under 8GB is missing. If you're running 8.1RT and havent updated to 10 then windows will have downloaded and extracted the installer files in the background most likely, they usually occupy 6.5GB so that could account for most of the space.

As this is Windows RT not real windows I've no idea if you can follow regular steps to resolve.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

ED E wrote: »
    25GB says 32GB model. 32GB model comes with 18GB useable off the shelf.

10GB used in listed types, so a little under 8GB is missing. If you're running 8.1RT and havent updated to 10 then windows will have downloaded and extracted the installer files in the background most likely, they usually occupy 6.5GB so that could account for most of the space.

As this is Windows RT not real windows I've no idea if you can follow regular steps to resolve.

Thanks for reply. What should I do now? Find the files and remove them or install windows 10 for surface?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Apps 4.31GB
    Pictures 5.64GB
    Videos 0
    Music 0
    Documents 58.8MB
    Downloads 86.0MB
    Recycle bin 143MB

That's a lot in your Pics folder. Can you move these to an external drive?

You might want to remove a few unused apps too, to save space.

Here's how to do that: https://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-ie/support/apps-and-windows-store/install-and-uninstall-apps?os=windows-10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Thanks for reply. What should I do now? Find the files and remove them or install windows 10 for surface?

See if you can install a program called Windirstat, it'll give you graphical view of files on the machine, it's a useful little tool.

You could run disk cleanup (select advanced), that should hopefully give you the option to remove Windows update files that are taking up space on the machine.

I'm not familiar with the Surface tablets, do they have expandable storage?

Advertisement