Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To change or not to change...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭LG1234

I know you've settled on the civic but if I was you I'd consider an Alfa Brera, beautiful rare cars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

LG1234 wrote: »
    I know you've settled on the civic but if I was you I'd consider an Alfa Brera, beautiful rare cars

I looked into a brera recently and any reviews said it wrote cheques it can't cash; looks good but a mediocre drive at best

...... why not run the Celica for another 12/18 months?
    Depreciation on whatever you get over that period & cost to change etc will eradicate any savings on fuel presumably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Very valid point about the Celica, one which I wouldn't usually overlook too.

Honestly I just feel like a bit of a change too tbh. Nothing against the Celica, i've enjoyed my time with it but a change is as good as a rest :)

I went to view that black one today, it was a shed. Plenty of knocks and rattles while driving, 4 knackered "Jinyu" tyres, destroyed in scratches and scrapes and has an ill fitting accident repair on thr passenger front corner.

Service history? Nah. Is it UK? We don't know. Would you take 5250? Yes. Those three questions speak volumes, not least point blank accepting such a **** offer with no haggling.

The diesel was an ok drive, I thought it would be a bit pokier though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The black paint on those civics is very soft and hard to keep.

Good ones go for big money. Good ones throw you into the seat in mid-range.

Under a small bit of time pressure now, the Celica has **** itself in a spectacular fashion. Puts me in the unenviable position of having to buy a car quickly. Started a new job there a foetnight ago too, so not in a position for dicking around or asking for free time etc.

Thinking about heading out and buying this Monday after work as it's very close by. It's a fairly safe bet, use it to keep me going until i'm settled in the job a few months then revisit this again.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-avensis-1-8-luna-automatic-nct-04-17/12546096

Typical of that Celica, the one time I was relying on it. It's either that or rent an enterprise car for a week or two because right now I have no car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Ah ****. What happened the Celica???

Would you not consider going low end bangernimics until you get a chance to look at a few more expensive cars? That way you can make sure (as best as possible) to get a good one? Just for a couple of weeks like?

Brake master cylinder went, it has no pedal at all, ****ing **** of a thing, just went all of a sudden. it was an absolute trojan of a car but the one week I needed it... want to make a good impression in work and having my banger on one of their lifts probably isn't doing that.

Cheapest one I can source is €450 and I really dont know is the Celica worth pumping anything more into.

Sick of the whole cars thing right now. Just need 4 wheels, a seat and reliability right now.

Biggest problem is i literally have no car sorted at all for Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

What's the panic? You still have the Glanza, no?

• Advertisement

Big Nasty wrote: »
    What's the panic? You still have the Glanza, no?

It's been off the road the last 2 years, so theres no paperwork to jump in and drive.

Under a small bit of time pressure now, the Celica has **** itself in a spectacular fashion. Puts me in the unenviable position of having to buy a car quickly. Started a new job there a foetnight ago too, so not in a position for dicking around or asking for free time etc.

Thinking about heading out and buying this Monday after work as it's very close by. It's a fairly safe bet, use it to keep me going until i'm settled in the job a few months then revisit this again.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-avensis-1-8-luna-automatic-nct-04-17/12546096

Typical of that Celica, the one time I was relying on it. It's either that or rent an enterprise car for a week or two because right now I have no car.

Those Avensis automatics are only 4 speed. May as well get a 1.6
    But seriously though, you'd want to be mad buying that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

It's been off the road the last 2 years, so theres no paperwork to jump in and drive.

Take long to recommission?

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Take long to recommission?

Tax and insurance are just a phone call away but getting pulled in a Glanza with a test 3 years out of date is not a conversation I want to be having :pac:

Good to hear the Avensis is ****e Colm, might have to revert back to a Corolla or something.

It's actually the perfect time to buy something bangernomics.
    But really you should just fix the celica. It's value has decreased more than the price of the parts so the logical thing is get that working.
    Maybe a used part?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

Get a seal kit for the master cylinder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

Load of Saabs around for no money

04 petrol one here for 650

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2004-saab-9-3/11906834

If you look hard enough I am sure you could get a good 06 -07 diesel one for under 2k

Think the diesel 9-3 is 150bhp, get a remap and it would be a good motorway car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Those Avensis automatics are only 4 speed. May as well get a 1.6
    But seriously though, you'd want to be mad buying that.

Last year I considered an auto when I moved over here. The equivalent of DD shows how many gears a car has, so was very surprised to discover that I couldn't afford a 5 speed auto. Always a good idea to check out how many speeds.

If in need quick for wheels?
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-jetta-diesel-fsh-new-nct/12643992

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-golf-1-6-litre-petrol/12652256

Dull I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

nd wrote: »

That is cheap, well expensive imo for a reason. Value of that car is €40.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

Cool. You buy it for 40 so. I'll buy it off you for 200.

• Advertisement

Was chatting to a friend this evening, drives a 07 Octavia VRS diesel. Seems like a nice car, 200k kms, full service history from new, timing belt kit changed last year, tested until July 17. he's owned it the last 18 months. He said he'd take €5k for it.

Test drove it, seemed nice, a little bit "Skoda" on the inside, but you cant have it all.

Everything seemed good, bit of a whistle/ whine while on boost, is that common with these or is that a negative indication? Other than that I couldn't fault it.

It ticks a lot of boxes, diesel, bit of poke, good looking, good spec, reasonable insurance, slightly up in the years etc.

Really liked it tbh. Biggest concern is the VAG of the inknown, will this thing be fond of flywheels etc, is it one of those engines that likes spitting con rods at random, or one that likes shattering oil pumps at random? It's a 170bhp model apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

It's a PD engine if it's an 07 so injectors and dpf would be the question marks. At mk2 diesels are 170 PS. VAG unreliability is often over hyped, there was a bad period but they've been past that a long time ago. The sheer number of them means you hear about it a lot more on sites like this. A lot of the time it's wear and tear bits.

As long as there's no stupid remap on it they are strong enough, you should expect some bits to be worn but at 5k it's not a bad deal if it's straight tbh. Be realistic that something may need a few quid spent on it at that mileage and it should serve you well. That model octavia really rattles inside as the mileage rises if thats something that bothers you. Also, good quality time tyres are a must on them - they light up at the front pretty easily and the PD engine exacerbates that. Air con compressor not having calved by now is a bonus.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

I think you are better off buying bangernomics or renting rather than spending 5k on something you were not considering buying under duress

it's never not going to look like a rush job at this point, unfortunately.

the problem for me i think at this point is, i just don't know what i want and i've ended up in a situation where i need to buy the item that i don't know what i want semi sharpish.

it's always been simple enough for me, buy some sort of petrol Toyota. but that doesn't really fit the bill this time. it needs to be sensible, but still excite me a bit. which the Skoda seems to do, nothing set in stone with it, but it seems like a real contender, i was looking at Kia Pro'Ceeds on donedeal tonight and thinking "actually, maybe" ffs.

i have a car arranged to tide me over for the next week or so. although i can see the bangernomics point, the last thing i need is another car in my possession. ultimately i will be taking a hit on whatever i buy and all the hassle and concern that comes with it just doesn't appeal to me. I have also picked up a second hand master cylinder for the Celica for a nifty fifty.

the plan would be something like, but the Skoda for €5k, fix the Celica for €50, sell it for €1500 (optimistic) and keep that €1500 for whatever breaks in the Skoda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Sorry to hear of your car trouble TFB.

What about a Toyota Avensis/Corolla for a grand or so and minimise your outlay. Then over the weekend fix the Celica and get it sold. Should leave you in a. Good position to look at something else while your daily reliable Toyota keeps going.

A €5k Skoda diese with known problems is always going to be a bigger chance, and about as risky as a €1k Toyota petrol.

I think you'd be mad to buy a €5k VAG diesel when they're not really "your thing".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Leon 2.0 tfsi - dsg ( with paddle shift.
    45k miles

ZGZiMzAxMmI3ZjAzYWIyNjBjY2M2NjE5ODFiZDU5ZmRzjBXUEcf0fEPB22aR7F0RaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181NDQwOTMyMHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.co.uk/cars-for-sale/seat-leon-2-0tfsi/11944545

Failing that.
    A friend of mine selling a Leon 2.0 tdi Kitted for small money.

13450103_1281913518503046_7581247749014137470_n.jpg?oh=42b2d785592ad551afde93fae7ff49a2&oe=5805C4B9
    2005 Seat Leon 2.0 TDI Sport 140
    103k miles
    Mot until January
    Three owners, same owner past 6 years
    Good Hankooks all round
    BTCC kit
    Great driving car

Slight rip on drivers seat bolster but can get repaired if needs be.

£2950 ovno

Thanks for the empathy lads :)

The Celica is back on the road tomorrow (fingers crossed), so I have a bit of time to breathe now.

That said I can't seem to get thr VRS out of my head tbh, it did a lot of things for me. There are also a lot of Mk 5 GTis out there for €5-7k. They look very appealing but I wonder would they just be a world of pain?

Honestly, I think I kind of fancy a European car this time around. Not even neccessarily a VAG product. Just something a bit substantial.

The Celica is back on the road tomorrow (fingers crossed), so I have a bit of time to breathe now.

That said I can't seem to get thr VRS out of my head tbh, it did a lot of things for me. There are also a lot of Mk 5 GTis out there for €5-7k. They look very appealing but I wonder would they just be a world of pain?

Honestly, I think I kind of fancy a European car this time around. Not even neccessarily a VAG product. Just something a bit substantial.

If you do go ahead with a vRS
    First thing to do is get 4 new goodyear effisint grip tyres fitted and a proper 4 wheel allignment done at the same time. Otherwise it will wreck your head with road noise.
    Apparently the goodyear tyres help.
    On saying that, I gave up on the vRS mainly because of the road noise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 78 ✭✭Old School Husqy

Owned a vRS for two years, what's this road noise and special tyres about?

Owned a vRS for two years, what's this road noise and special tyres about?

Here >> http://bfy.tw/6Txf

• Advertisement

Thanks Eugene.

At the risk of sounding like a lunatic given your needs... What about an Alfa GT? 156 running gear so has a few usual foibles but the engine and gearbox in the 1.9 diesels are excellent.

Plenty around with good history and test/tax for €2-€3k...

Just in keeping with the European theme....:D

Handy with the Celia, gives you time to look at a few more options. To be honest as you don't mind the extra few quid on fuel a nicely sorted GTI might be less of a risk than a PD Octavia RS. Plus it's a nicer place to sit, quieter, better to drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭9935452

Really liked it tbh. Biggest concern is the VAG of the inknown, will this thing be fond of flywheels etc, is it one of those engines that likes spitting con rods at random, or one that likes shattering oil pumps at random? It's a 170bhp model apparently.

FYI
    Its the 1.9 BXE engine that has the conrod issue.
    The 2.0tdi 2004 ish to 2008 ish had the oil pump issues.
    Personally i believe the flywheels going has an aweful lot to do with the way they are being driven.
    Like driving a diesel long drives suit them better. Short drives , constant 1st gear 2nd gear driving wear them out quick. long motorway drives and they last. I have a 09 A4 with 148k miles on the original flywheel

9935452 wrote: »
    FYI
    Its the 1.9 BXE engine that has the conrod issue.
    The 2.0tdi 2004 ish to 2008 ish had the oil pump issues.
    Personally i believe the flywheels going has an aweful lot to do with the way they are being driven.
    Like driving a diesel long drives suit them better. Short drives , constant 1st gear 2nd gear driving wear them out quick. long motorway drives and they last. I have a 09 A4 with 148k miles on the original flywheel

FYI.
    It was the 2.0
    140 bhp engines from 04 to 08 ish that had the oil pump issue. But as far as I am aware that was specific to the A4.

vectra wrote: »
    FYI.
    It was the 2.0
    140 bhp engines from 04 to 08 ish that had the oil pump issue. But as far as I am aware that was specific to the A4.

Passats as well i believe

Can we have a final FYI on what cars/engines had these problems?

No,
    I am alomst certain that the A4 was the culprit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

exact same engine in both, almost

• Advertisement

vectra wrote: »
    No,
    I am alomst certain that the A4 was the culprit.

Passat and Skoda surperb had the same problems.
    http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/2-0tdi-oil-pump-balancer-shaft-problems-the-definitive-guide-audi-vw-skoda-seat.140949/

Looks ideal for what you want it for tbh. Nice spec, not too heavy miles and most likely a lot more life left in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Nice looking car, you should look to see if the VSA light issue has occured in it before and been fixed .... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055823353

More info here and a good site for faults/questions...http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/1432-vsa-modulator-light/

Put a deposit on a car today.

5 points to Gryffindor if anyone can guess it :pac:

Accord?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Sure jaysus, it could be anything with the long list of cars mentioned ; )

Honda Civic petrol hatchback.

Passat TDI

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-octavia-rs-2-0tdi-170bhp-nct-07-17/11440955

Went to view this today. It was hanging together.

Bodywork was honest enough, front end was stone chipped but otherwise straight enough, no major damage or repairs, wheels were all damage free and good (chinese) tyres all round, I was pleasantly surprised.

Interior was clean, sat into it nice and fresh, no marks or rips or tears or anything. Miraculously a full, legit looking service history in the glovebox the whole way to 200k.

Asked for the keys, started it up. Check engine, glow plug and DPF light on the dash. Obliged the seller by taking it for a drive but at that point my interest was gone. I know "trade cars" and "no warranty" is that places USP but I wasn't looking to buy a complete liability either. Rear window was also down before I took it for a drive and went to put it up but it was stuck down.

It sounded like it was running fine. For 180bhp or whatever these claim to be it felt very wheezy and there was no great pick up or torque in it like you would be expecting from a turbo diesel so I don't know if it was right or wrong really. Was very difficult to pull away in first gear too, thought it was clutch trouble but when I went to do a hill start, the car stayed on the hill rock solid without the handbrake applied so I assume it has a stuck calliper somewhere.

Got back and the seller told me the battery went flat and after you jump start those cars all the check light come on the dash which i'm sure is gospel truth and there was a bit of a take it or leave it attitude about them. I gladly left.

Shame, it was tidy enough looking but you'd want it for €4k i'd say between fixing the window, brakes and taking a punt on the potential DPF/ EGR issues.

So that's what I didn't buy :pac:

I still think you'd be mad to buy a €5k Octavia VRS!

A 2004/2005 Alfa JTD will have the older more reliable Diesel engine and the cars are pretty to look at, good to drive and reasonably solid on the road. Pick one up for €2k these days. Same risk as a €5k Octy IMO.

EYour definitely right, there are some very attractive propostions out there in reasonably "up in the years" Alfa 159's too. I just wasn't ready to go full Alfa yet :P

I did look at this last Thursday but came to the conclusion it was probably a bit ghey, more of a ladies car.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/alfa-romeo-mito-1-6-jtdm-turismo/12347684

Too late to turn around now anyway :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement