Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative treatments for infertility

Options
  • 11-05-2016 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

I'm wondering if anyone might know something about what alternative treatments are out there for male infertility.

My partner had testicular cancer 25 years ago and had a testicle removed along with retroperitoneal lymph node dissection and 3 rounds of chemotherapy involving cisplatin, bleomycin, and etoposide. He did a sperm test 6 months ago which detected no sperm.

He doesn't have sexual dysfunction and is able to get an erection and orgasm normally. However the volume of ejaculate is low - about a quarter of usual amount.

I'm looking into what alternative therapies there are out there to stimulate sperm production and increase amount and motility. So far I've come across the herbal products "Speman", "Carnitine", "Mucuna Pruriens" and "Maca".

I'd be really interested to hear if anyone has some knowledge or experience with these herbal products?

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I think that herbal supplements can only improve what is there already, if at all. If he has had a sample analysed and has no sperm whatsoever in his ejaculate then no herbs are going to create sperm I'm afraid.

Have you looked into a consult with a fertility clinic to discuss your options?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Kantava

It sounds like you need expert medical assistance with that one. By all means you can use alternative therapies alongside to improve the manufacture of sperm but you may need something like TESE. http://www.sims.ie/treatments/testicular-sperm-extraction.1047.html

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Colours

Thanks for post Neyite. We did go to a fertility clinic and did the various tests until we were given the option of testicular sperm extraction TESE and parked it there due to costs and my partner's worry about his remaining testicle being damaged during this procedure.

Was just being wildly optimistic in my post to see if there's not a pill to fix it then maybe there's a herb?!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Hey, we've all been wildly optimistic on this forum :) and certainly no harm in trying to boost any natural chances with supplements but I am a bit wary especially since I'm already on medicated cycles that there is no data to see how some of these natural supplements would interact with the TTC meds I'm already on.

I remember one poster who had success with Maca, but it was her who took it, not him, and as far as I can recall, they had no diagnosed issues. I got it for my OH to take but that was the month that I got my BFP so in the end he never took it at all.

I know someone who had TESE and ICSI but the costs are very high. Maybe donor sperm IUI would be a cheaper and safer option, but I know its a big decision and not one that can be made lightly.

Alternatively, look into treatment abroad maybe? Some of the EU clinics have advancements in technology and clinical processes that the Irish Clinics don't have. I've heard excellent things about Serum in Athens and Gennet in Prague for example. Barcelona is another popular choice for fertility treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Colours

Thanks everyone for your input. The cost for the going for official medical approach via ICSI/IVF is prohibitive for us so I meanwhile vainly spend my days looking up herbal/holistic treatment what are associated with some real degree of success :-(

• Advertisement
Advertisement