Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Top box

• 11-05-2016 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Saw some topboxes on ali express and was wondering has anyone any experience or thoughts on them. At least they look the part.

.aliexpress.com/item/Top-quality-Alloy-Alumnium-top-case-38L-motorcycle-top-case-40-30-32cm-rear-box-for/32322594586.html?spm=2114.01010108.3.10.o5ad2q&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_9,searchweb201602_1_10017_10034_10021_507_10022_10020_10018_10019,searchweb201603_7&btsid=1dd7a1b6-ea28-4cd1-b04d-77b5ab75c678

Just need to put the www in above, can't post links.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Normally anything from that site takes an age to get to you and I'm pretty sure you'll end up looking at it sliding down the road in the mirrors. I'd not buy something like that from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Don't buy motorbike stuff from them, I'd draw the line at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

never bought anything for my bike from alibaba, but ive bought other stuff lead times generally 28 days.

Id have no reason to not try something like a top box tbh there isnt a huge amount in them all things considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

D3V!L wrote: »
    Don't buy motorbike stuff from them, I'd draw the line at that.

I wouldn't buy safety gear but accessories could be ok. The Discovery stickers hopefully come off easily.

Only problem is that there will most likely be tax on import and if anything goes wrong it'll cost a fortune to return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The tax on that will be over 100, based on similar purchases I have made.
    If you add all that up I doubt you will save much compared to buying a similar one here in Europe.
    If its only the look you want Hepco and Becker make a top box called the Gobi which is very similar to these adventure styled boxes.
    Alloy luggage is strong but the biggest issue is that stuff you put in them goes grey if it rubs on the sides or bottom.
    Plastic is strong and doesn't have the greying issue that alloy does.
    https://www.louis.ie/artikel/hepco-becker-gobi-top-box-42-litres/10024524?list=173003913

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

CJhaughey wrote: »
    The tax on that will be over 100, based on similar purchases I have made.
    If you add all that up I doubt you will save much compared to buying a similar one here in Europe.
    If its only the look you want Hepco and Becker make a top box called the Gobi which is very similar to these adventure styled boxes.
    Alloy luggage is strong but the biggest issue is that stuff you put in them goes grey if it rubs on the sides or bottom.
    Plastic is strong and doesn't have the greying issue that alloy does.
    https://www.louis.ie/artikel/hepco-becker-gobi-top-box-42-litres/10024524?list=173003913

Max capacity 100kg! I'd hate to ride a bike with that much weight that far over the back wheel, do any bikes even take that much weight on the back rack?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Del2005 wrote: »
    Max capacity 100kg! I'd hate to ride a bike with that much weight that far over the back wheel, do any bikes even take that much weight on the back rack?

Wouldnt a big mate be 100kg

Advertisement