Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple TV

• 11-05-2016 9:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,057 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking to stream content from my iPad onto my TV. I can get a connection to plug in a HDMI lead for €50!:eek:

Other option is to shell out a little more and get Apple TV and stream via Airplay.

Now never having used Apple TV, I've no idea what I get for my money. It says there is all kinds of Apps etc. Fine. But I do know that one of them is Netflix. I don't have or want Netflix. You have to pay for that.

What else comes on Apple TV that would make it a better bet than getting a connection lead. Is there any if the apps that give you are stuff?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Well some of the apps you have on your iPad may be available for the Apple Tv as well, or become available eventually. The TV App Store is only new. Although from the sounds of you talking about old Apple TV, which there's no point getting, especially if you are only using it for Airplay and aren't prepared to pay for services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭chrisire

Better off getting a Chromecast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,057 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Well some of the apps you have on your iPad may be available for the Apple Tv as well, or become available eventually. The TV App Store is only new. Although from the sounds of you talking about old Apple TV, which there's no point getting, especially if you are only using it for Airplay and aren't prepared to pay for services.

yea apple tv 3 i think

was in apple shop last week in us. had ones for 69 dollars. then apple 4 for 149 dollar and 199 dollar.

not really sure what the difference is apart from apple 4 has a hd but apple 3 doesn't?

chrisire wrote: »
    Better off getting a Chromecast

so can i hook my iPad up to the tv using a chrome cast?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭garbeth

If your looking to stream from safari, then I'd recommend the chromecast. (Now called Google Cast). It's €39. I'd also get the app called AdBlock with chromecast support. You can cast the browser to the tv. Have a search on boards and you'll find a chromecast thread.

• Advertisement

Seve OB wrote: »
    so can i hook my iPad up to the tv using a chrome cast?

Yeah and very easy to use

i want to stream sky go app. can't run sky go on safari

i want to stream sky go app. can't run sky go on safari

You wont be able to stream sky go to tv with anything,even the cable wont do it.

You wont be able to stream sky go with anything,even the cable wont do it.

why not?

yer man in the apple shop said it basically gets whatever you have on the iPad screen up on your tv. whether i use a cable or apple tv.

sky has the app made in a way that it wont stream,you just get the sky logo on your tv screen

• Advertisement

sky has the app made in a way that it wont stream,you just get the sky logo on your tv screen

really? are you sure?

i can hook up my laptop no bother to the tv and run sky go.

Yep wont work for the apps on android and ios.

what about if i used another browser rather than the app?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

why not?

yer man in the apple shop said it basically gets whatever you have on the iPad screen up on your tv. whether i use a cable or apple tv.

Yes, but the app has to support HDMI output. If it doesn't, you're screwed. Sky don't want you watching their app on a TV.

You might as well stick with the laptop and cable instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

really? are you sure?

i can hook up my laptop no bother to the tv and run sky go.

100% correct! skygo on iPad has no TV out.

If you don't want Apple TV (which I have and love, we have all our family photos and video on iCloud, and therefore on Apple TV) you can always just buy the cable adapter, plug in your iPad cable and connect via htmi. €29 I think

yea apple tv 3 i think

was in apple shop last week in us. had ones for 69 dollars. then apple 4 for 149 dollar and 199 dollar.

not really sure what the difference is apart from apple 4 has a hd but apple 3 doesn't?

The ATV3 has no App Store. Imagine your iPad with only the apps that came pre-installed on it. It's only good for watching Netflix, renting and buying iTunes content, and a bit of Airplay. You'd only be using it for one of those things, so it's not worth it IMO. Get the newest ATV4 with the App Store or don't bother is my advice.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

what about if i used another browser rather than the app?

It won't work, Sky have crippled it deliberately.

Advertisement