Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GofT TV series vs books

• 11-05-2016 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

Not sure if this has been covered before but here goes.

I read all the books a few years ago when the last book came out.

I've been waiting for next one to be complete while promising myself I'd get around to watching the TV series.

The new season has started and low and behold it's after going past the where the books left off :confused:

How are they allowed do this? It kinda messes up the books now as they are now either going to be the same and we know what happens or we'll have two split versions.

I should have probably kept up with all of this ages, oh well :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I too have been waiting patiently on the books but I haven't been following the TV series and never watched it. From what I've been told by people who have experienced both there are differences in the TV series from the books so the way I choose to look at it, they are different universes.

You might enjoy it better if you look at it from that perspective. As for why the TV series went past the books, simple reason is Martin hasn't been able to complete the books in time. I get the feeling he underestimated the enormity of the challenge he was setting for himself with this massive cast of characters and world he was building and I suspect he's getting help in putting it all together. (I'm not suggesting others are writing the story, I just mean in terms of remembering the various details and stuff I think he must be getting help).

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭jimmurt

I d love to be able to look at it from that perspective but I can t lol

But another question is, did the Production Company need Martin s permission to keep going with the series?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

jimmurt wrote: »

But another question is, did the Production Company need Martin s permission to keep going with the series?

I'm not sure but maybe he signed a contract with the company for a certain amount of series and once the books had been bypassed they just had to crack on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭xper

jimmurt wrote: »

Martin is deeply involved with tv series. He's an executive producer and has written several episodes himself. He has also outlined the overall conclusion of the story to the show runners. So, whatever detail was in the original contract bewteen him, his publishers and HBO, he appears to be at peace and actively collaborating with the tv show getting to the end before his books do. In some ways, it takes the pressure off him.

Advertisement