Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit card surcharge

Options
  • 11-05-2016 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Account: Credit Card
    Hi I am intending to register my credit card with Allsop in order to bid in an online auction later this month. They will have a hold on an amount of €5000 which they say will incur a surcharge of 2.75%. If I am successful and get the lot this amount will go towards the sale price and if unsuccessful the hold on this amount will be released. My query is whether this figure of 2.75% will be charged on the figure of €5000 whether the funds are taken or released by Allsop? Regards Alan Parker

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara P

parkeral wrote: »
    Account: Credit Card
    Hi I am intending to register my credit card with Allsop in order to bid in an online auction later this month. They will have a hold on an amount of €5000 which they say will incur a surcharge of 2.75%. If I am successful and get the lot this amount will go towards the sale price and if unsuccessful the hold on this amount will be released. My query is whether this figure of 2.75% will be charged on the figure of €5000 whether the funds are taken or released by Allsop? Regards Alan Parker
    Hi Alan,

Thank you for your post here on Boards.ie.

Can we ask you to confirm if the 2.75% surcharge you mentioned is been applied by ‘Allsop’ themselves or if they have advised you this would be the charge applied by your bank?

Also can we ask if this company will be charging €5,000 in a foreign currency?

Thank you,

Tara C

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

Very old thread but back in the spotlight as surcharges have been abolished by E.U. on C/C and debit cards but will the banks etc. abide by this ruling???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Darren

John Dough wrote: »
    Very old thread but back in the spotlight as surcharges have been abolished by E.U. on C/C and debit cards but will the banks etc. abide by this ruling???

Hi John Dough,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here.

I can confirm that we wouldn't apply surcharges to these kinds of transactions. As in the previous messages on the thread the surcharges discussed are placed on the card by the retailer so if you're unsure if a retailer will charge these to your card we would ask that you contact them to make sure that they will not apply these to your card.

Thanks again,
    Darren.

Advertisement