Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking Permit.

Options
  • 11-05-2016 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

Hi

I have a disability which means I can't get into a car unaided and I can't put on my seat belt but my walking ìs OK. Would I qualify for a disabled parking permit?

Mick.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,568 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The only people who can answer that are your GP and the Wheelchair Association.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

looksee wrote: »
    The only people who can answer that are your GP and the Wheelchair Association.

The only people?
    I question that.

The only people?
    I question that.

Ok, who else do you suggest? In our case even the hospital consultant told my husband he should go to his GP.

For one thing here is a second option for advice on applying for a permit

http://www.ddai.ie/parking-permit/how-to-apply

Citizens information also has advice and help in doing so
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/traffic_and_parking/disabled_persons_parking_card.html

The GP you attend would need to be familiar with the scheme and should have read and understood the following document
    http://www.icgp.ie/speck/properties/asset/asset.cfm?type=LibraryAsset&id=72AA9CA7-7A87-42BA-A60B9B00C2506803&property=asset&revision=tip&disposition=attachment&app=icgp&filename=EB3D8652-19B9-E185-83C98EFDF7D40B0B.pdf

All GPs are not familiar with this scheme and its requirements.

There are many other sources also.

Hopefully that explains why I objected to your use of only ;)

Yes I accept that the DDAI can also organise a parking permit, but an applicant is going to have to discuss their needs and provide some evidence. The DDAI mention primary medical certificate, and the first stop for that is a GP.

The point I was making was that random people on Boards cannot possibly know from the OP's description whether he would be eligible or a permit. He could approach one of the issuing groups and they will send him forms for his GP (or similar) to fill in.

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    Yes I accept that the DDAI can also organise a parking permit, but an applicant is going to have to discuss their needs and provide some evidence. The DDAI mention primary medical certificate, and the first stop for that is a GP.

The point I was making was that random people on Boards cannot possibly know from the OP's description whether he would be eligible or a permit. He could approach one of the issuing groups and they will send him forms for his GP (or similar) to fill in.

As I said I objected to the use of 'only'.

If the OP reads the PDF for the doctor I linked above then he should be able to give a very good guess as to his eligibility.
    After that it is up to the particular doctor he attends.

Advertisement