Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

jobs which require written references

Options
  • 11-05-2016 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭

Are these jobs normally real or could these still be jobs which are already gone.

I will be qualifying this year and am currently on the look out for jobs. I notice lots of adverts require 2 written references. Due to the fact I will probably be applying for so many jobs, is it normal to be asking principals for so many of these "written references"?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Would you not just ask two referees for references, scan them and attach them to your application? (or photocopy them if they only accept snailmail applications)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

mengele wrote: »
    Are these jobs normally real or could these still be jobs which are already gone.

I will be qualifying this year and am currently on the look out for jobs. I notice lots of adverts require 2 written references. Due to the fact I will probably be applying for so many jobs, is it normal to be asking principals for so many of these "written references"?

You ask for one written reference from the pricipal and send copies of it with each application

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭mengele

You ask for one written reference from the pricipal and send copies of it with each application

I didn't think of that actually. Its my first time doing this so learning the whole time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Some principals don't give written references. They usually provide
    them over the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

It's difficult to get principals to do a written reference. You might get lucky and have a kind principal who'll do it. Phone number should be more than enough for most. What's really annoying is the amount still looking for paper applications by post that looks for everything but the kitchen sink including passport photos and copies of everything. You go to all the trouble and then never hear back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

It's difficult to get principals to do a written reference. You might get lucky and have a kind principal who'll do it. Phone number should be more than enough for most. What's really annoying is the amount still looking for paper applications by post that looks for everything but the kitchen sink including passport photos and copies of everything. You go to all the trouble and then never hear back.

Yeah like the ETB application forms which are about ten pages long. I usually send one and add a note about the environment for the rest and if shortlisted, I will provide the remainder. I really don't care but will apply anyway. I don't trust the ETBs and working for one would be a last resort. I think it's easier for them to photocopy the application form than the unemployed teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭icebergiceberg

Yeah like the ETB application forms which are about ten pages long. I usually send one and add a note about the environment for the rest and if shortlisted, I will provide the remainder. I really don't care but will apply anyway. I don't trust the ETBs and working for one would be a last resort. I think it's easier for them to photocopy the application form than the unemployed teacher.

Yeah.
    Application forms which require you to write in info in boxes too small to swing a cat made me feel very angry when I was applying. Not trusting the ETB/VEC is unfortunate but I think this mistrust is deserving. I recall getting rejection letters in the post almost before I get back home from the interview.

Interviews held, at considerable cost to the unemployed applicant who may have had to travel, in the full knowledge of the interview panel that in actual that job is already gone/earmarked for someone else.

A shocking system. A corrupt system. We need whistleblowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

An annual topic. Most interviews are not bent/corrupt and nearly all applicants feel they deserve the job and don't understand when they don't get it. The reality in the room is that the best candidate is usually very obvious and you must be better than the rest. Too many have interview technique learnt off and well scripted CVs but if you cant speak good French, you ain't going to get the job etc. You would be shocked at how many teachers don't know their own subject areas. That may sound cruel but I don't make people drive 200km or promise a job before an interview and that's the joy of it- it allows people shine.
    In the case of ward report interviews-its not guaranteed that a certain teacher would get it but someone can get on a panel or that interview used to fill another vacancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I don't trust the ETBs and working for one would be a last resort. .
    I have found nepotism far more prevalent in the voluntary sec school system with pressure put on Principals to take on family and friends of staff/pp/own family

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

TheDriver wrote: »
    An annual topic. Most interviews are not bent/corrupt and nearly all applicants feel they deserve the job and don't understand when they don't get it. The reality in the room is that the best candidate is usually very obvious and you must be better than the rest. Too many have interview technique learnt off and well scripted CVs but if you cant speak good French, you ain't going to get the job etc. You would be shocked at how many teachers don't know their own subject areas. That may sound cruel but I don't make people drive 200km or promise a job before an interview and that's the joy of it- it allows people shine.
    In the case of ward report interviews-its not guaranteed that a certain teacher would get it but someone can get on a panel or that interview used to fill another vacancy.

In fairness I'd expect people to be disappointed at not getting a job. If you're not you shouldn't be going for it.

Good people don't get jobs when there's one job and ten good candidates, it doesn't matter if its teaching or anything else.

That said I have seen people do great interviews and be cat in the classroom.

• Advertisement
Advertisement