Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me Propose!!!

Options
  • 11-05-2016 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

So here is what I need (ideally, but I'm open to suggestions):

1) A good female vocalist
    2) A violinist
    3) A guitarist
    4) A group of people to join in the chorus of a song unexpectedly.

The plan: My Girlfriend and I walk up Grafton street and happen upon some buskers who happen to be playing a slow chill version of everlong by the Foo Fighters. We stop and watch, after a little bit I bring our front and center and propose. She says yes (hopefully), we stand up and after a few seconds the group of people all join in singing the song so it gets really big and triumphant. Thats it!!!

When: Hopefully Saturday the 2nd of July in late afternoon/early evening.

Please help, if you can help yourself or know somebody who can pass it on!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

That's an incredibly risky plan in a lot of ways. Are you sure it's the best idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 GROOMIE

Risky how?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

She'll probably be mortified

We've spoken about things like this before, It will be ok in that sense. I am certain of that, she will see it as a big romantic gesture.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

GROOMIE wrote: »
    So here is what I need (ideally, but I'm open to suggestions):

1) A good female vocalist
    2) A violinist
    3) A guitarist
    4) A group of people to join in the chorus of a song unexpectedly.

The plan: My Girlfriend and I walk up Grafton street and happen upon some buskers who happen to be playing a slow chill version of everlong by the Foo Fighters. We stop and watch, after a little bit I bring our front and center and propose. She says yes (hopefully), we stand up and after a few seconds the group of people all join in singing the song so it gets really big and triumphant. Thats it!!!

When: Hopefully Saturday the 2nd of July in late afternoon/early evening.

Please help, if you can help yourself or know somebody who can pass it on!!!

Get real - don't embarrass the girl ! If you want to propose - do it somewhere nice where "proposing" is not a spectacle - wher there's no audience - just remember the guy that proposed some time back on the stage during the Rose of Tralee festival - he should have been taken out and to put it mildly "humanely put down" (relatively speaking as I don't believe in capital punishment). If however you are an attention seeker - then no advice is appropriate.

• Advertisement

We watched that Rose of Tralee, My girlfriends reaction was "thats so sweet" and triggered watching a number of big proposal videos on youtube!!!

It is not an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭hearmehearye

GROOMIE wrote:
    1) A good female vocalist 2) A violinist 3) A guitarist 4) A group of people to join in the chorus of a song unexpectedly.

Taking my personal opinions aside (if my boyfriend did that to me Id have to break up with him) would it not be better if the group was family and friends? Also, what's going to happen if it's lashing rain? I'd imagine no one would want to stand around listening to buskers when it's lashing cats and dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Consider approaching a musical society or choir. The risk of random strangers ruining the song is massive

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Risky how?

Some issues that I see:

1. How can you guarantee that you'll get the words out at the right point during the song?
    2. How can you guarantee that she'll respond at the right time for the crowd to burst into song?
    3. How can you guarantee that a crowd or buskers that you're not paying will actually materialise?
    4. How can you guarantee that it won't rain heavily?
    5. How can you guarantee that she'll want to go to Grafton Street that day?
    6. How can you guarantee that she won't get totally distracted by shops/someone she bumps into/anything else, meaning you're delayed and the buskers leave?
    7. How can you guarantee that some troll in the crowd won't shout out what you're about to do?

It just all seems to run on a very strict schedule that can't be guaranteed at all. Anything and everything could go wrong, and the whole thing could be ruined.

Athtrasna, thanks for that. I've already emailed a few and waiting to hear back. Most are finding it difficult to get the numbers at the time of year as they break for the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

My God people the man is trying to be romantic!!! OP I think your idea is lovely!!!! We need more people like you. I can't help I'm afraid (I'm no way musically inclined) but I wish you the best of luck.

The very fact that you have put so much thought and effort into this shows how much you truly adore her. She's a very lucky woman. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

It's very Hollywood but if it works it will be lovely. However I must admit I do wonder why people need to go to such trouble, is just asking not enough on its own anymore? Maybe I'm just an old cynic. Definitely have a plan b in case of bad weather.

athtrasna wrote: »
    Consider approaching a musical society or choir. The risk of random strangers ruining the song is massive

I think this is a great idea. Also gives you the chance to practise everything before hand. Make sure you video record it too. What a lovely memory for your kids!!!

Reminds me of this :pac:

http://youtu.be/nFnopqrifso

eviltwin wrote: »
    , is just asking not enough on its own anymore? .

Of course it's enough but I think the extra gesture can make your one feel like they are the world to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,933 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Faith wrote: »
    Some issues that I see:

1. How can you guarantee that you'll get the words out at the right point during the song?
    2. How can you guarantee that she'll respond at the right time for the crowd to burst into song?
    3. How can you guarantee that a crowd or buskers that you're not paying will actually materialise?
    4. How can you guarantee that it won't rain heavily?
    5. How can you guarantee that she'll want to go to Grafton Street that day?
    6. How can you guarantee that she won't get totally distracted by shops/someone she bumps into/anything else, meaning you're delayed and the buskers leave?
    7. How can you guarantee that some troll in the crowd won't shout out what you're about to do?

It just all seems to run on a very strict schedule that can't be guaranteed at all. Anything and everything could go wrong, and the whole thing could be ruined.

I have friends lined up to deal with most of those issues, i.e. cuing buskers, giving us a reason to go to a particular spot etc, when the crowd come in isn't a huge deal. The rain I cant control, but the venue can change grafton street doesn't have to be where it happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Wow, OP... I really don't believe in marriage or want to do it, but even I am appalled at the level of negativity towards your idea. I reckon you know your fiancée-to-be better than this shower of crankypantses. I play violin and I'll help you out if you like, I'll even travel to Dublin for it. PM me if you're interested. Hope it all comes together.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

We watched that Rose of Tralee, My girlfriends reaction was "thats so sweet" and triggered watching a number of big proposal videos on youtube!!!

It is not an issue.

Two attention seekers - sorry to say !!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,914 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Guys, if ye can't be constructive or helpful in some way, please don't post.

People who post just to get a dig in at the OP will be carded.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭ChampagnePop

You should record it and put it on YouTube, I bet it would go viral!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

You should record it and put it on YouTube, I bet it would go viral!!!!

Ye cant go to all that effort and not record it. Op if u give me permission and you tube rights and for the a small fee ill bring a crew and get the job done proper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Its very romantic, hell, if she says no, I will marry you :)

Thanks for the offers (sarcastic or otherwise), but im ok for recording it

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Hellrun

Best thing is to keep it low key in my opinion. The more comfortable she is, the more likely for success and it won't be awkward.

I'm taking all advise on bored, might move it off the street into a venue maybe.

I'm taking all advise on bored, might move it off the street into a venue maybe.

I don't know. I'm one of these that wouldn't care of it was public or private. You know her best. Do what you feel is right.

Wish my fiance would think of these things. His "romance" side of the brain is very small and slow running. But I still luvs him!!!

Do whatever you feel is right. Don't let us internet strangers dictate what you do

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Do whatever you feel is right. Don't let us internet strangers dictate what you do

Yeah stick with your original plan. There are elements that may not go 100% to plan but I don't think that matters. Your girlfriend probably won't notice and will love the gesture anyway.b

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭ChampagnePop

Maybe you should remove some of the details from your post OP, encase your OH sees it and it spoils the surprise. The date for example is a but too much information. Probably should get rid of the song choice too......

Advertisement