Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for replicating a particular beer.

Options
  • 11-05-2016 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hey lads,

My housemates and I have started home brewing and thus far have made a reasonably decent pale ale, but we're hoping to try something a bit more complicated (and much nicer) for our second brew.

Basically I have fallen in love with Schneider Weisse Tap 6 (Unfortunately I am not worthy enough to post a link yet, so you'll have to google it :/) and we would like to make something as close to it as possible, but we are not entirely sure how to go about it.

From what we can tell the main ingredients seems to be wheat malt, barley malt, hops and yeast, but we don't really know where to go next or what quantities would be needed.

Anyone have any ideas? We're obviously never going to come up with a carbon copy, but something even remotely similar (and as strong) would be great, so any advice ye can offer would be much appreciated! :D

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

If you Google around I'm sure there are loads of clone recipes. I'd say it will be a tough one to get right: a lot of the character in a weissbier is down to the fermentation temperature so if you want to recreate the flavour profile accurately I'd say you'll need to maintain the fermentation temperature accurately too. IIRC, Schneider Weisse is unusual for including 1% black malt in the grist, hence it's slightly darker than most of its contemporaries. <-- wait, no, you're talking about Aventinus. Still haven't got the hang of these new-fangled tap numbers. Aventinus is probably a lot easier, actually.

Still, it's worth a go. It's worth a few goes, actually, so long as you're happy drinking the results as you go. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

The key is a good liquid Germany Wheat yeast, WLP300 is personal favourite

Are you all grain or extract?

Extract 100% wheat extract and its general a blend 50:50 with barely malt

Grain go for 50:50 wheat malt:barley malt, so go as high as 70:30 wheat malt:barley malt

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Liamo08

Not familiar with the beer but looks like it’s a Weizenbock, you probably won't go far wrong with this recipe http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/beer-recipe-of-the-week-weizenbock/ it's not going to be a cheap beer to make unless you're brewing all grain and are able to make a yeast starter.

Liamo08 wrote: »
    you probably won't go far wrong with this recipe
    Aventinus is dark brown, though. It's a weizenbock that thinks it's a doppelbock.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Liamo08

BeerNut wrote: »
    Aventinus is dark brown, though. It's a weizenbock that thinks it's a doppelbock.

Ah fair enough didn't know that, maybe adding some more chocolate malt and a darker crystal would get it closer? Or just go with the 1% black malt that you mentioned?

• Advertisement

Liamo08 wrote: »
    Or just go with the 1% black malt that you mentioned?
    That was when I thought we were talking about original Schnieder Weisse (Tap 7, in new money). 1% black malt won't get you close to the darkness of Aventinus.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Is a lot of it not down to the particular yeast they use? Try harvest some of that.

Is a lot of it not down to the particular yeast they use? Try harvest some of that.
    Yep, the internet seems to suggest that they're one of the few weissbier breweries who bottle with their primary fermentation yeast.

Advertisement