Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing the math

• 11-05-2016 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭

Has anyone who has moved home or is about to move keeping track of the costs?

Can you share them with me for your experience?

We are thinking about moving back home for 2 years before our two girls start school but I can't justify the move if it going to send us broke!

I'll post my findings back here once I've gathered them. Looking at a few location options all with their own pros and cons... Kilkenny, Cork, Waterford and Dublin.

Update: This is what i found today. This is for a family of 4, 2 kids not at school age so using childcare

Accommodation (per month):
    Kilkenny: 2 bed apartment E750, 3 bed house E1200
    Waterford: 2 bed apartment E700, 3 bed house E900
    Cork: 2 bed apartment E1300, 3 bed house E1600
    South Dublin: 2 bed apartment E2000, 3 bed house E3700

Health Insurance = average E155 / month
    VHI: E155 / month
    Laya: E120 / month
    GloHealth: E165 / month
    Aviva: E172 / month

Car = average E471 / month
    For a 2010 Ford Mondeo 2lr Diesel

Motor Tax: E710 / year
    NCT: E55 / year
    Full comp insurance: E890 / year
    Depreciation: E1600 / year
    Fuel: E200 / month

Utilities = average E212 / month for Gas heating, E304 / month for Oil heating
    TV license: E160 / year
    Electricity: E1000 / year
    Gas: E800 / year or Oil: E1900 / year
    Water: E390 / year
    Bins: E200 / year

Childcare for two children (child benefits of E280 deducted):
    Dublin: E2120 / month
    Kilkenny: E1240 / month

Please let me know if any of the above is off, these were just pulled from the internet and not based feedback from anyone living in Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Is the health insurance cost for a family of four? If so thats awesome and less than I pay for just myself in the states.

I didn t see an estimate for food budget

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Norinoco

Yes, family of 4. I didn't have time to work out a food budget. I spend AUD$700 per month on food so ireland had to be cheaper than that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭maggz

Hey norinoco, I just moved to kk with 2 sons last week. We were either wford or kk. We got a house and I found houses more like 850 to 1000 in both cities, they are just like gold dust. Creches are a bit cheaper too especially when you take into account the free 3 hrs a day for preschool for your older one and when ur 2 year old turns 3. Im checking one out today. Anyway im smack in the.middle of it so feel free to ask me anything

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

I guess as part of the calculation you need to compare it to two other things. 1) the cost of where you are now and 2) the future earning potential of you and your spouse in Ireland.

Did you do anymore work on this? What did you decide?

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Norinoco

After taking in to account the wage difference between home and sydney, maintaining a mortgage with rental income and storage of our stuff we would be in the red by about $20k per year. We're going home next month with it at the back of our mind but certainly holding firm right now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement