Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hydrangea Seeds

Options
  • 11-05-2016 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

Got some hydrangea seeds from eBay and they all failed to germinate. I contacted the seller and they are sending out another batch FOC, hopefully I get better results next time around.

I placed 1 seed per compartment in a propagater in seed sowing compost and kept them on a south facing windowsill. The seed sowing compost seemed to go dry quickly so I kept watering and the seeds seemed to absorb water. I think this is what did for them.

Anyone had success growing from seed ? Tips and hints gratefully received.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

Bump

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Got some hydrangea seeds from eBay and they all failed to germinate. I contacted the seller and they are sending out another batch FOC, hopefully I get better results next time around.

I placed 1 seed per compartment in a propagater in seed sowing compost and kept them on a south facing windowsill. The seed sowing compost seemed to go dry quickly so I kept watering and the seeds seemed to absorb water. I think this is what did for them.

Anyone had success growing from seed ? Tips and hints gratefully received.

I find cuttings is easier but you are not supposed to mix soil with the seeds! You just sprinkle them on top of a nutrient rich soil and then "mist" rather than water!

Try getting seed yourself, its free! ;)

found a good video for you! Good luck!

and yes I use salad containers as well!

http://www.marthastewart.com/246304/hydrangeas

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

Thanks Sgt. Pepper, that was a really interesting. The seeds I got were nothing like those in the video and were more akin in size to lemon pips ! Could be I have been done. Gardening Noobe alert.

Anywho I will look out for cuttings later in the summer and try both seed and cuttings as an experiment.

Advertisement