Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kidd Trigger Kit Vs Timney Trigger Vs Full Kidd Trigger: Quick Review

Options
  • 12-05-2016 1:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

I have been meaning to revisit the Timney Vs Kidd trigger test I did a while ago when somewhat unexpectedly, my Kidd Trigger Job Kit arrives.

Concisely, the Kidd Trigger Job Kit is a great buy. At its price point, it's hard to beat. If funds are your major concern, get the kit and forgo the full trigger.

Note:
    (1) I have not completed a range test, just a pull weight/pretravel/break test. I'll update range results later this summer.
    (2) The kit was tested in a brand new OEM polymer trigger. Obviously, neither broken in.
    (3) I have not considered factors such as dropping mags, releasing bolts, additional weight, and such.
    (4) The OEM trigger housing tested had both the trigger kit and spring kit installed. The spring kit is sold separately from the trigger kit.

ktt2_zpsjjdpmysp.jpg

Shown above, from left to right, on the top, is the : (1) Kidd pull weight tuning spring kit, (2) the Kidd Trigger Job Kit with a black blade, and (3) brand new polymer OEM trigger housing.

toys2_zpsqvhnimw8.jpg

Above, from top to bottom, are the test rifles: (1) full factory Kidd, single stage trigger, Boyd's tacticool stock, (2) Timney Trigger, Ruger 50th receiver, Boyd's Rimfire Thumbhole stock, all else Kidd, and (3) bog standard 10/22, in an AATS stock, with the Kidd Trigger Kit.

The Trigger Kit is easy to install. Do not expect to install the trigger kit as effortlessly as Tony Kidd does in his online tutorial the first time around. However, after a few pauses and rewinds, the procedure is simple.

The spring kit comes with five separate springs, which when installed, allow the pull and reset weight of the trigger to be tuned to, approximately: 1.75, 2.25, 2.75, 3.25, or 3.75 lb.

The spring kit does not come with the Kidd designed plunger, like that on the full Kidd trigger.

+1 for the full Kidd Trigger on adjustability. On the full Kidd trigger, a turn of a screw adjusts trigger weight.

With the Kidd kit, the trigger housing has to be removed, disassembled, and the spring swapped out.

The pull weight on the Timney is not adjustable.

Immediately after installation of the trigger kit, before adjusting, I was disappointed with the first trigger pull as there was a bit of pretravel. Not a millimeter, maybe a few sheets of paper, yet still perceptible.

Fortunately, the pretravel was easily dialed out using an allen wrench on the screw in the top of the trigger. Less than half a clockwise turn of the screw and the pretravel was gone.

To be honest, if I did not have the three triggers side by side, I doubt I would be able to pick a winner - they are literally that close. Even with the three in hand, it is difficult to pick a winner without getting in to minutiae.

After forcing myself to consider a winner, the list was the exact order of the amount of trigger time each has seen: the more use, the better the trigger.

Thus, I'll just say that unless you have a particular need, shop by price!

Advertisement