Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lough Cutra Spectator Fee

Options
  • 12-05-2016 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone else seen this on a recent email from Castle Triathlon Series in relation to the Lough Cutra race?

This is the most expensive sprint in Ireland, the most expensive Olympic in Ireland, the most expensive half outside of IM Dublin, and they are trying to gouge yet more money out of competitors.

I'm sorry I've given these guys any of my money now and I certainly wont ever be going back to them. I also wont be bringing anyone along to support me even if they wanted to come. Should have just done a half IM training day on the Tri an Mhi course. Even the triathlon at the London Olympics was free to spectate!!!!! Disgraceful.

Spectator fee - €5 per adult / €3 per child

Spectators are well looked after as you take part in your race. With unique access to the stunning private estate of Lough Cutra Castle and a bumper event village including entertainment, live music and yummy food, this event offers the well earned reputation as an atmospheric triathlon festival.

There is nominal spectator fee, to be paid in cash on arrival, with all funds being ploughed back in to the improvement of the estate for triathletes.

Please note: Competitors and campers go free and child participants (8-15yrs) can bring an adult for free.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭MalDoc

I thought it was poor form alright. Full price for the Gauntlet was what €160...
    Not exactly cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

That's mental, hopefully not a sign of things to come in other races.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

Wow. This will be my 3rd time doing Cutra (also entered 2 kids and 2 nights camping, total cost €162), not exactly cheap but I went in eyes open. They put on a decent race, but charging spectators is not something I want to support, I'll give it a miss next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    They put on a decent race, but charging spectators is not something I want to support, I'll give it a miss next year.

News to me too. Not happy.

Under Travel & Accomodation as advertised, spectators are free.
    Access to the Castle, Gardens and Parking
    Access to the Estate grounds is free for spectators. The Castle is a private residence but the stunning gardens will be open to the public. There will be parking within the Estate grounds. There is no charge to park however a donation towards our local charity will be much appreciated

This new fee is money-gouging, pure and simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I remember a race 10 years ago, a big one, that my wife helped out at. They charged her for a cup of tea. She has never helped at a race since.

Lough Cutra should get no money from a boardsie again - and it should be tabled at the TI agm that races that charge for watching cannot be NS/NC. Also a max deviation from the average price should also be included.

Let the sponsors know what they are being associated with.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

crazy.have done it the last 2 years but not racing this year had considered going up with my neighbour as he is racing, not a hope of that now, not about the amount but the principle

tunney wrote: »
    Let the sponsors know what they are being associated with.

I'm stunned by this move.

The whole reason why I became involved with LC was because the event is very progressive, yes expensive, but always seemed to work hard to bring value to the race and to always develop in response to athlete feedback.

There has also a lot of work going on in the background which I have been privy to with regard growing & developing the sport in Ireland directly (rather than as an offshoot of the UK) which impressed me.

This move to charge spectators at a family focused event is completely at odds with what I expected from the event organisers.

Doesn't sit right with me at all :(

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭rowr

It's a TI Nat series race, let them sort it out, strip the race of Nat series next year

Wonder will they have coin operated portaloos there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭griffin100

It's creeping in from other events - it's €10 to spectate at the Tough Mudder race, you have to pay for parking and you are not allowed to bring food into the venue, you must purchase it on site. That's after paying over €100 to run around an obstacle course.

The only way to stop this is by boycotting these sorts of events and hitting these guys in the pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

For a race struggling to get volunteers this year they are hardly endearing themselves to the public with that move.
    What % of their intake would they expect this to generate compared to the 1200 entrant's? It will be well off the loss due to lower number of entrants in 2017.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

No chance I'd be paying in to watch. What a load of rubbish...I wonder is it the estate owners applying the charge or the race organisers themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

griffin100 wrote: »
    It's creeping in from other events - it's €10 to spectate at the Tough Mudder race, you have to pay for parking and you are not allowed to bring food into the venue, you must purchase it on site. That's after paying over €100 to run around an obstacle course.

to be fair, TM, H&B etc are novelty events, not proper athletic races. Anyone prepared to pay for parking AND €10 to 'spectate' wants their effing head examined.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Herc

I had reluctantly entered this as a build to Challenge Galway but absolutely disgusted by this move - wife and kids had planned to travel but out of principle I will be advising them to stay at home and under no circumstances will I be entering this event again. I know this is backed 100% by the 15 odd other member of my club who unfortunately entered and will not be entering again. They can admit their mistake now if they want and remove the fee or live with the bad-will this will cause in the Tri community.

This seems to be on both Lough Cutra and TI facebook pages now, good to see plenty of people getting onto them about it. No response yet from either that I can see. I'm not doing the race and had never done it but no chance I'd even look at it now, if they keep the spectator charge or not.

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    Under Travel & Accomodation as advertised, spectators are free.

This new fee is money-gouging, pure and simple.

Ha, they've just changed this blurb to
    For access to the Estate grounds there is a small charge for spectators (€5 adult, €3 child). The Castle is a private residence but the stunning gardens will be open to the public. There will be parking within the Estate grounds. Please follow the race day parking signs for “Triathlon Car Park” via a service road to access the estate. The main drive will be used for the cycle route section of the race.

Didn't respond to queries about why they were changing what they advertised, either.

A while back Huff&Puff was berating TI for granting the for-profit Castle Series NS ranking, at the expense of club races, his basic point was it being the thin edge of the wedge. How right he was.

Posted on Facebook in reply to one of the comments about the spectator fee:
    Thank you for making contact Barry and so sorry to hear that you are disappointed. We are a small team driven to deliver a wonderful event enjoyed by all. We do not want anyone to be disappointed and appreciate all the supporters who come along and add to the atmosphere. We want to put on a festival event where everyone can have a wonderful day out and enjoy the event village entertainment.

I appreciate that additional costs this year are not welcome but ask for your understanding that we would not do this unless necessary. I can assure you that the exercise is not commercial, but all money is ploughed back into the venue and used to clear the lake and grounds for the triathlon next year so we can keep improving standards.

I am sure you appreciate the cost of hiring such a unique venue in the first place is not minimal. This allows us to offer something exceptional and different to other triathlons. We have unrivalled access to a really wonderful private venue and grounds and with that comes a slight premium.

I hope this explanation helps fill in the gaps.

I do know it is a small team and that the venue is not cheap. Improvements are being made year on year.

sconhome wrote: »

I do know it is a small team and that the venue is not cheap. Improvements are being made year on year.

B0ll0cks Sean. Pure b0ll0cks. If with the extortionate entry fee they cannot cover costs, future investment and make some profit they are incompetent.

more likely "lets milk the bucket listing cow".

A concerted effort to kill this race off from the tri community is required.

I wonder how much money they made the last 2 years this race has been on? As a commercial race if they didn't make any money they wouldn't be putting it on this year, Just stinks of a way to get money out of people. Like has already been said it's not exactly a cheap race either, nor are the roads closed. I've never done the race but have done club run races for less money, that had a festival/family atmosphere, had closed roads for the bike and were held in nice venues. All without charging the price of Cutra, with smaller entrant numbers and no charge for spectators.

• Advertisement

joey100 wrote: »
    I wonder how much money they made the last 2 years this race has been on? As a commercial race if they didn't make any money they wouldn't be putting it on this year, Just stinks of a way to get money out of people. Like has already been said it's not exactly a cheap race either, nor are the roads closed. I've never done the race but have done club run races for less money, that had a festival/family atmosphere, had closed roads for the bike and were held in nice venues. All without charging the price of Cutra, with smaller entrant numbers and no charge for spectators.

The golden goose is on its last legs, kill it off and eat it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭johnruns

tunney wrote: »
    B0ll0cks Sean. Pure b0ll0cks. If with the extortionate entry fee they cannot cover costs, future investment and make some profit they are incompetent.

more likely "lets milk the bucket listing cow".

A concerted effort to kill this race off from the tri community is required.

Very true.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I was giving them benefit of doubt thinking it may be estate owners looking for the fee, then I saw they were charging similar for their other events.

DO NOT BELIEVE ANY TRIPE THEY PUT OUT TO JUSTIFY THIS.

I would be requesting a refund and I wouldn't stop asking until I got it. So many people doing IM 'relying' on this race. They'd be better off doing a HIM training day together and getting refunds. That's what I would do.

edit:

13173868_10209442116750098_8023414738122325607_n.jpg?oh=22b2386cf217da846ea22b74f80f533e&oe=57A808ED

Reply I got, verbatim :D
    Hi Paul, yes there is a small nominal charge which covers FREE bouncy castle, climbing wall, car park, entry in to a private castle, live music etc. I know this is different from other events in Ireland but I know you will see the difference for what is on offer.

You couldn't make it up, a charge to cover FREE aspects. Chancers! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

FREE PARKING!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

car park. whatever about the rest, the car park is in a field, with some serious rocks and dips, and stewards who don't give a $h&t if you drive them or not. one of the guys last year wanted me to park on top of them, i'd have taken half the bottom of the car off if it tried. rolled down my window, told him no way, and he yelled at me for holding up the queue. eventually let me park beside it, then tried to get the next guy to go on top of it too, who also refused .

and they claim this is what the money is covering?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

I was giving them benefit of doubt thinking it may be estate owners looking for the fee, then I saw they were charging similar for their other events.

I would be requesting a refund and I wouldn't stop asking until I got it. So many people doing IM 'relying' on this race. They'd be better off doing a HIM training day together and getting refunds. That's what I would do.

edit:

13173868_10209442116750098_8023414738122325607_n.jpg?oh=22b2386cf217da846ea22b74f80f533e&oe=57A808ED

Good luck getting a refund from them M. More chance of Oliver Twist getting some more soup. Someone recently told me they tried to get a refund and they were told we will give you a 50% refund if you marshall at the race for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭rowr

sconhome wrote: »

Horsesh*t,

The whole venue is a commercial entity: http://www.loughcutra.com you rent it for weddings, activities, accommodation. The triathlon is another extension of that. Unless things have changed, I paid an above normal entry fee 3yrs ago and got a swim hat before the race and a half an organge after the race.

It may be a small team there but judging bu their strategy it is a wealthy small team

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

edit:

They're actually charging spectators more at the other races.

Hever Castle – £7.50 per adult and £3 per child

Chateau de Chantilly – £8 per adult and £5 per child :eek:

http://www.castletriathlonseries.co.uk/take-part/spectators/

I was considering entering the Olympic as I did the half two years ago & enjoyed it. Not a chance I'm going to enter now.

• Advertisement

PWEI wrote: »
    Hever Castle – £7.50 per adult and £3 per child

Chateau de Chantilly – £8 per adult and £5 per child

To be fair they are locations that already are open to the public and charge an admission fee so that is something simply being passed on for general public access.

(Not justifying it - simply pointing out a material difference.

Advertisement