Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does BOI use Google Analytics to track their customers use of Banking365?

Options
  • 12-05-2016 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Why does BOI use Google Analytics to track (collect data on) their customers use of Banking365?

Tow.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara P

Tow wrote: »
    Hi,

Why does BOI use Google Analytics to track (collect data on) their customers use of Banking365?

Tow.
    Hi Tow,

Thank you for your post here on Boards.ie.

The following gives details about the information we collect and why, see link here.

Thanks,

Tara C

• Registered Users Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Tow

Hi Tara,

Thanks you your response. The document you have linked to says:

Our aim is to continuously improve your experience of our digital channels.  We use cookies to improve your customer experience of our products, service and online applications.  Our web server collects information about your visit, for example;

However, in addition to any tracking your web server may be performing. Banking365.com is using a 3rd party provider called Google Analytics to track customers actions on the site.  Every page customers access sends information back to a 3rd party server called www.google-analytics.com

The bottom of your linked document states:

Hyperlinks
    Some of the pages on our websites and/or Digital Banking Channels may contain hypertext links to websites not maintained by Bank of Ireland Group. You are reminded that different terms and conditions of use will apply as a user of such websites. In addition, such websites may not attain the same privacy standards that Bank of Ireland Group maintains. 

Thus as per the 'BOI Privacy Statement' I am concerned www.google-analytics.com has different terms and conditions and may not have the same privacy standards as BOI, yet Banking365 is reporting every screen/function I access back to them.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Tara: Use Chrome? https://www.ghostery.com/

Tara: Use Chrome? https://www.ghostery.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

Hi Tara,

Our aim is to continuously improve your experience of our digital channels.  We use cookies to improve your customer experience of our products, service and online applications.  Our web server collects information about your visit, for example;

However, in addition to any tracking your web server may be performing.  Banking365.com is using a 3rd party provider called Google Analytics to track customers actions on the site.  Every page customers access sends information back to a 3rd party server called www.google-analytics.com

Hyperlinks
    Some of the pages on our websites and/or Digital Banking Channels may contain hypertext links to websites not maintained by Bank of Ireland Group. You are reminded that different terms and conditions of use will apply as a user of such websites. In addition, such websites may not attain the same privacy standards that Bank of Ireland Group maintains. 

Thus as per the 'BOI Privacy Statement' I am concerned www.google-analytics.com has different terms and conditions and may not have the same privacy standards as BOI, yet Banking365 is reporting every screen/function I access back to them.
    Hi Tow

We'll look into this and come back as soon as we can.

Many Thanks
    Alison 

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Nicola

Hi Tara,

However, in addition to any tracking your web server may be performing.  Banking365.com is using a 3rd party provider called Google Analytics to track customers actions on the site.  Every page customers access sends information back to a 3rd party server called www.google-analytics.com

Hyperlinks

Hi Tow, I can confirm that we don’t send any personal identifiable information or screenshots from 365 to Google Analytics. We use Google Analytics to identify problem areas for 365 users and to optimise user experience.

Google provide and support a browser add-on where you can opt out of Google Analytics, you can get more information about this here.

Thanks

Nicola

Thanks, Nicola. That makes sense to me at least. 

Tara: If it makes you feel any better, what Nicola is describing is legitimate standard practice for lots of different websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,064 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Speedwell wrote:
    Tara: If it makes you feel any better, what Nicola is describing is legitimate standard practice for lots of different websites.

I'm guessing most websites use Google analytics. I use it for my site. It won't show me your ip address or any private stuff. It tells me the landing page & what pages a user uses. How long they are on each page etc. It helps me know what pages are working well & what pages are not being used at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Tow

Hi Nicola,

Thanks your your response.  Can I suggest that the legal department update the BOI Privacy Statement, to include Google Analytics and Double Click etc.  The can even take the wording from the Central Bank: https://www.centralbank.ie/Pages/privacy.aspx

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Collection and use of Technical Information[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]We use Google Analytics, a web analytics service provided by Google, Inc. ("Google"), to gather statistics on our website.  We will use the information gathered to improve web services for our visitors. Google Analytics employs cookies to identify user sessions, which allows for the collection of important data about how our visitors are using the site.  Google Analytics uses only first-party cookies for data analysis.  This means that the cookies are linked to our website domain(s), and we will only use that cookie data for statistical analysis related to your browsing behaviour on our websites. If you choose, you can opt out by turning off cookies in the preferences settings in your browser. [/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]Your IP address is also truncated by the last octet prior to its storage using the "_anonymizeIp()" method.[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]You can opt-out from being tracked by Google Analytics by downloading and installing Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Addon for your current web browser:Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Addon[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]You can also choose to opt out by turning off cookies in the preferences settings in your browser.  For more information on Google Analytics, please visit Google's website.[/font]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Nicola

Hi Nicola,

Thanks your your response.  Can I suggest that the legal department update the BOI Privacy Statement, to include Google Analytics and Double Click etc.  The can even take the wording from the Central Bank: https://www.centralbank.ie/Pages/privacy.aspx

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Collection and use of Technical Information[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]We use Google Analytics, a web analytics service provided by Google, Inc. ("Google"), to gather statistics on our website.  We will use the information gathered to improve web services for our visitors. Google Analytics employs cookies to identify user sessions, which allows for the collection of important data about how our visitors are using the site.  Google Analytics uses only first-party cookies for data analysis.  This means that the cookies are linked to our website domain(s), and we will only use that cookie data for statistical analysis related to your browsing behaviour on our websites. If you choose, you can opt out by turning off cookies in the preferences settings in your browser. [/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]Your IP address is also truncated by the last octet prior to its storage using the "_anonymizeIp()" method.[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]You can opt-out from being tracked by Google Analytics by downloading and installing Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Addon for your current web browser:Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Addon[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]You can also choose to opt out by turning off cookies in the preferences settings in your browser.  For more information on Google Analytics, please visit Google's website.[/font]
    Thanks Tow, I'll pass this on to the team this morning and please let me know if you need anything else.
    Nicola

• Advertisement
Advertisement