Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

carbon monoxide alarm

Options
  • 12-05-2016 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I am renting and our boiler was recently serviced. Everything is grand but the boiler is in my daughters bedroom so he recommended that a carbon monoxide alarm be put into it. I text the landlord to let her know and she hasn't responded, that was on 20th April. The service guy was adamant that the landlords should have put one in it.
    Is the onus on us or landlord to fit one?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

if he doesn't reply then I would spend the €15 for peace of mind now and try and get the money later

http://www.woodiesdiy.com/Product/kidde-compact-carbon-monoxide-alarm/11802/3.15.4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Yes the LL should have one fitted, I forget if it's a requirement or not. Although you're not going to escape a scolding about worrying whose job it is to fit the thing when it's in your kid's room for crying out loud. Seriously get one in there today, absolute madness you didn't do this on day one but let's just assume you didn't know. While you're at it make sure there's at least one smoke alarm on each level and that the bloody things are working.

Given a lack of awareness on your part (happens to everyone in some respect so not having a go there) do you and your family know the escape routes out of your home? If the kids are old enough make sure you've sat down and gone through this with them and ideally walked the route and where you'll meet if separated.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Go down to Woodies (or wherever) and buy one today. Install it TODAY.

Keep the receipt, and yes, the LL should pay for it.

But really. You should have checked for this when you moved in to the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

There is one on the landing directly outside the bedroom door I thought that was sufficent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Lashes28 wrote: »
    There is one on the landing directly outside the bedroom door I thought that was sufficent

To be fair it probably is, apologies for my assumption. In that case it's definitely your responsibility to fit the additional one.

Money well spent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I understood thy it was a landlord's requirement to fit one in a room containing an approriTe apparatus (boiler, gas or solid fuel heater or cooker etc) and one in the circulation space. I'd have to look for the regs which I thought were recently commenced.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Lashes28 wrote: »

No this is not sufficient. You should have a Carbon Monoxide Alarm in the room where any gas appliance (or any other fossil fuel appliance) is located.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

To be fair it probably is, apologies for my assumption. In that case it's definitely your responsibility to fit the additional one.

Money well spent.

It depends. The building regulations require one but it depends on the time that the boiler was placed there.
    Marcusm wrote: »
    I understood thy it was a landlord's requirement to fit one in a room containing an approriTe apparatus (boiler, gas or solid fuel heater or cooker etc) and one in the circulation space. I'd have to look for the regs which I thought were recently commenced.

TGD Part J. CO detection only became mandatory a few years ago, 2013 ish....
    One in the room and any room that the flue passes through. Also one in every habitable room or with 5m of that room, buts that's for new builds and replacement.

If the boiler is in the room longer than that then the landlord may only have to prove one under the terms of the minimum standards for rental accommodation.

Advertisement