Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due January 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Scan went well! Hope yours was the same cupcake queen!

All looked normal and we got some pretty cute pictures. We asked to keep the sex a surprise, but both of us swore we saw some fairly large balls while she was checking the bladder! I'm hoping it could still end up a surprise baby girl.

Wait for the scan wasn't bad at all, but I had an appointment in the outpatients consultant clinic (public) after and was waiting around an hour. My next appt will be in outpatients in 9 weeks. No more scans required, apparently.

Also I have put on most 6kg (almost 13lbs) in the 9 weeks since my last appt. Google tells me this is a few lbs more than average so I'm hoping it'll slow down soon! I don't feel like I'm eating loads either.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭cupcake queen

Ah brilliant Catriona!! That's gas about wondering if you could spot the gender. Our sonographer said she was 80% sure it was a girl, but that's because she couldn't see any boy bits! She did check around the area a good bit. It was amazing to see how much she checked, must have been a good 40 mins while she had a good look around! Thankfully all looks ok. No further scans planned here either, unless doctor or midwife thinks its necessary.

We started our shopping in earnest today! There was a parents to be event at mamas and papas that I saw advertised so we (I) made the decision that we would go and make a purchase. We got the Chicco next to me crib which is one thing off the list. I'm thrilled to have made a start as we are looking to buy a house as well as getting ready for babs so we are watching the pennies and I know it would be a disaster if I left everything to the last minute. Going to try and get something every few weeks and space the costs out! I'm also trying to throw one item into the trolley every time I do the shopping (just something small like cotton wool or wipes - whatevers on offer!) so we can have a good supply to get us started! I'm more excited every day :) Hope everyone else is getting on well x

Ooh was the event worth going to? Did you get much of a discount on the Next2Me? I'm planning on getting that one too!

I still haven't bought much. Been to eurobaby and tony kealys looking at travel systems but I find it all so overwhelming and confusing that I end up feeling deflated and none the wiser!

• Advertisement

Ooh was the event worth going to? Did you get much of a discount on the Next2Me? I'm planning on getting that one too!

I still haven't bought much. Been to eurobaby and tony kealys looking at travel systems but I find it all so overwhelming and confusing that I end up feeling deflated and none the wiser!

I can't get my head around the travel systems at all! So much on offer, and the more research I do, the more confused I am! At least getting the crib was straightforward. There were some discounts at the store today, but really the more you were buying the more you would save. It was 10e off 100e purchase, 25e off 250e purchase and I think the next discount happened at 400 or 500. We got the crib which was 210 and I also got a changing bag for 40 so we got the 25 discount. Every little helps I guess! Plus there were little goody bags with a coupon for money off your next purchase. Not a bad day to start the shopping!

Well January mamas, long time no chat, how are we all getting on?

Also, how organised are you feeling for baby's arrival?

I'm 28 weeks tomorrow and feeling pretty good. Doing yoga and taking it as easy as possible to avoid SPD getting any worse. We still need to buy pram and car seat and planning on doing that within next few weeks. Other than that we are pretty organised though (I say we, I mean "I", as hubby hasn't organised one thing! I guess preparing for a baby is mammy's job).

We are attending weekly antenatal classes at Holles St and are planning on getting a 4d scan done in Blackrock within next week or two also. Excited to see who baby looks, although hoping he or she doesn't inherit all of our worst features and none of our best haha!

I'm also in the process of buying all the bits I need for my hospital bag. I know it's pretty early to be doing that, but I'll feel much better once it's done and I no longer have to think about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Glad to hear you're doing well! I have to ask... what's a 4-D scan??! I have 3 antenatal classes scheduled but they don't start for a few weeks, dying to get stuck in! I'm hugely, hugely lucky - my fiances family have all chipped in for the baby elegance bundle, all we had to do was choose the colours and they will be delivered a week before the birth! Other than that I haven't done much in preparation for the baby arriving as I'm getting married in 2 weeks! So I'll be getting stuck into the baby prep after that :D

Do you get a 3rd trimester scan if you're public? It doesn't seem to be the case unless there's concerns, I'm fairly disappointed tbh, might end up paying for a private scan myself! We got one done at ~14 weeks in Blackrock and it was amazing - so detailed and clear compared to the one we got a week later in the Rotunda!!

Omg rawn you're getting married? Wow! You are some woman for one woman, organising a wedding amongst all the pregnancy symptoms. Hats off to you! Hope you've the most amazing day. Was it hard to find the right dress? Must be so difficult shopping for something when you don't know what size you'll be at the time of the wedding.

A 4d scan is one of those ones where you can see the baby in 3D like a photograph, rather than the cross-sectional 2d scans you usually get. The 4th "d" is the fact that there's motion lol. So you get more of an idea of what baby will look like, and you get to see them as a proper little human rather than a grey 2d cross section.

I don't think we get any third trimester scans in Holles street either. Although I imagine they'll need to do one towards the end to check baby isn't breech? I have my next appointment on 16th November so if they scan me, I'll let you know!

• Advertisement

Omg rawn you're getting married? Wow! You are some woman for one woman, organising a wedding amongst all the pregnancy symptoms. Hats off to you! Hope you've the most amazing day. Was it hard to find the right dress? Must be so difficult shopping for something when you don't know what size you'll be at the time of the wedding.

A 4d scan is one of those ones where you can see the baby in 3D like a photograph, rather than the cross-sectional 2d scans you usually get. The 4th "d" is the fact that there's motion lol. So you get more of an idea of what baby will look like, and you get to see them as a proper little human rather than a grey 2d cross section.

I don't think we get any third trimester scans in Holles street either. Although I imagine they'll need to do one towards the end to check baby isn't breech? I have my next appointment on 16th November so if they scan me, I'll let you know!

Ooh that sounds cool, I'm a little weirded out by 3D scans in general but I'd love to see him moving around properly! He's extremely active, even right now my belly is bouncing like a trampoline! No idea if they scan to check for breach, didn't think of that... Did you find out what you're having? I'm having a boy (Alexander) but a friend of mine was told his partner was having a boy for sure right up until she gave birth to a girl :D so now I'm reeeeally thinking I need to get a detailed scan!!

The wedding dress shopping wasn't too bad! I bought online on ebay and the dress I ended up with is lovely and only cost €40! I went with an empire line dress, I got it fitted yesterday and will again 3 days before the wedding. I was carrying low at first but now he's all up in my ribcage! :D

Hi ladies! Congratulations on your wedding Rawn! You sound super organised, as do you Catriona. I cannot believe how quickly the weeks are flying in. I'm 27 weeks this week. Just started a course of pregnancy pilates - antenatal classes are not until December but I'm booked in for a full day and then 2 days of hypnobirthing classes. This month has been quiet for appointments, other than getting the flu jab from the GP. Next month I'm back at the midwives clinic, GP, physio classes at the hospital and a tour of the delivery suite! Feel like next month is when it all kicks off in earnest :D

Feeling lots of movement at the moment which is good. My morning sickness is back which is unfortunate but I have just come to accept it. The low point was puking into a plastic bag at traffic lights on my way to work this week! I feel like I am eating terribly - pastry for breakfast most mornings as soon as I can stomach something, but it seems to settle me so I have to go with it! :(
    I am taking the Pregnacare and eating lots of fruit and yoghurt so hopefully I'm not doing too badly.

I am slowly but surely getting organised. I have bought some bits and pieces including stuff for the hospital bag and stuff for baby's first few days. My husband's parents kindly got us a travel system which is brilliant! I found a good deal online and we ordered last week. It's here now and includes car seat and everything so am thrilled to bits. Feel like that's a big thing sorted.

We are simultaneously trying to buy a house at the moment. Probably too much all at once...!

Ah cupcake queen, commiserations on the MS returning! Mine only went at about 21 or 22 weeks, and I've been feeling nauseous again over the last week or so (I'm 28 weeks now) but thankfully it's nowhere near as bad as it was. Terrified it will come back full force though as I ended up quite depressed with it before. So here's hoping!

What travel system did you go for? I'm still trying to decide, but think
    I'm gonna go for the silver cross pioneer

Ah it's not too bad this time round. I throw up in the morning and then am fine for the rest of the day. I don't stress about it as I know the finish line is in sight! As opposed to the first trimester when I just felt like I would never feel normal again! :o

We got the Silver Cross Pioneer for our travel system!! Coincidence. I went and looked at/tried out a few in a shop and it felt the nicest to push. Very smooth! :D I was looking around online for some deals on it and ended up ordering from the Samuel Johnston website in the north for €730. It included the car seat (not the base though) and a free changing bag and delivery was free anywhere in Ireland. It arrived at my in-laws last week but we haven't been down to them to get it yet. I see it has gone back to €870 on that website but I'd say if you keep an eye on it you might see if there or elsewhere reduced again. A friend of mine had a baby last year and said she got great deals on lots of things around Black Friday at the end of November.

What a wonderful weekend!

Bought the pram on Saturday (went for silver cross pioneer in the end), then my mam threw a wee baby shower which was sooooo much fun. It was amazing to see some aunties and friends who I hadn't seen in ages and we had a great time. And then on Sunday, we went out to blackrock for a 4d ultrasound which was INCREDIBLE!!! Guys there's an actual real human baby inside me!!!

It was so special, probably the best 20 minutes of my pregnancy to date. Images were so clear, the baby was yawning and smiling and opening and closing its eyes, and likes to lie with its feet right up on top of its head like a little gymnast! I can't even touch my toes so it definitely doesn't inherit that from Mammy.

Apparently the baby is measuring about a week ahead, but on earlier scans it measured four days behind, so who knows. The earlier scans are meant to be more accurate. Apparently it's about 3lbs now or a little over... so assuming weight gain of half a pound a week from here on, I'm on course for an 8-9lb babóg.... kinda scary given I'm pretty small myself but sure we will wait and see. Here's hoping I don't go two weeks over!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

Lovely to hear you had a nice weekend Catriona! Pregnancy definitely has some nice moments.

Ah that scan sounds brilliant Catriona!!! I would love to do one, but we are currently buying a house and so along with all the baby expenses we are watching the pennies at the moment!! I keep reading such great things about them though, might try and talk the OH around... :)

Delighted for you Catriona! Sounds magical :)

When is everyone finishing up in work? I'm gonna finish at Christmas. 5 weeks left!!!!! I can't wait. I'm so exhausted all the time now and still have so much to get organised.

When is everyone finishing up in work? I'm gonna finish at Christmas. 5 weeks left!!!!! I can't wait. I'm so exhausted all the time now and still have so much to get organised.

I have 3 weeks left and I am living for it! Just the same, tiredness has come back at me and I'm exhausted every evening. Plus getting up in the cold and dark! Also most mornings rushing around I feel like I could throw up. Initially felt like maybe I would be bored going on mat leave but now I know that will definitely not be the case!

• Advertisement

Anyone else finding movements quite uncomfortable now? My baby is breech, and spends 95% of the time with his hard head rammed into my left ribcage, so when he moves and wiggles around it is really sore! The movements feel so strong sometimes they could break through my skin

Has anyone heard back yet from the maternity benefit people? I was a bit late sending my form in, but it's been 5-6 weeks now and I've not heard a peep.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭ali_d

I sent mine in about 6 weeks ago and got a response about 2 weeks ago. But I seem to be just lucky as most other girls on a facebook jan group haven't heard back either. Ring the maternity section and they'll tell you if they've received it.

I got my confirmation letter about a week ago, having applied about 5 weeks ago, but I am finishing up work at the end of this week so maybe they process them in the order people are taking their leave??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Welfare.ie have a handy section now where you can ask a question online and get an email back. I emailed last week to ask if they'd received my maternity forms (due to start next week!), and they replied within a day or two to say they had received them and the benefit had been granted but confirm letter not yet sent. So if you can't ring you could try that.
    It's on this link on right hand side called 'ask a question'

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Maternity-Benefit.aspx

Do you have to start the maternity leave 2 weeks minimum before the due date?? Just reading the website now, I was reeeally hoping to take the leave as close to the birth as possible, I didn't know it HAD to be 2 weeks??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

rawn wrote: »
    Do you have to start the maternity leave 2 weeks minimum before the due date?? Just reading the website now, I was reeeally hoping to take the leave as close to the birth as possible, I didn't know it HAD to be 2 weeks??

It has to be two weeks before the Friday of the week you are due. So it depends on what day you're due whether it's a full two weeks. It's kind of confusing but say you were due next Monday, 5th, then maternity leave must start by Friday 25th Nov as that's two weeks before Friday 9th (which is the Friday of the week you're due). So you'd get away then with only 10 days before due date. I think that's the nearest you can work, if you're due a Thurs/Fri then it'd be the full two weeks before.

sillysocks wrote: »
    It has to be two weeks before the Friday of the week you are due. So it depends on what day you're due whether it's a full two weeks. It's kind of confusing but say you were due next Monday, 5th, then maternity leave must start by Friday 25th Nov as that's two weeks before Friday 9th (which is the Friday of the week you're due). So you'd get away then with only 10 days before due date. I think that's the nearest you can work, if you're due a Thurs/Fri then it'd be the full two weeks before.

Thanks! Good thing I popped onto this thread I thought I had loads of time, turns out I have 5 weeks!! :o

sillysocks wrote: »
    Welfare.ie have a handy section now where you can ask a question online and get an email back. I emailed last week to ask if they'd received my maternity forms (due to start next week!), and they replied within a day or two to say they had received them and the benefit had been granted but confirm letter not yet sent. So if you can't ring you could try that.
    It's on this link on right hand side called 'ask a question'

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Maternity-Benefit.aspx

Thanks for that! I've sent my query in.

• Advertisement

I keep dreaming about my baby. Every night now. It's so lovely! Last night I had a little boy and he was so cute and snuggly and cuddly. It was magical.

Advertisement