Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due January 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 emsie1404

I think as long as it's 65cm (if you're over 5"3) then it's grand, any one will do. I just ordered mine online a couple of months ago. I think dunnes are still selling them too
    Thanks a mill Catrionanic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

37+3 today and so done with being pregnant. Praying I won't go over (would love to go early!)
    The house is also in bits most of the time and I haven't the energy or mobility to get it sorted the way I want it. And then every time my husband is around he just messes everything up further! He thinks I'm OCD but I just can't stand staring at mess all the time.

Come on baby!!

I was the same! Thought I'd get loads done when the nesting instinct kicked in and it skipped me entirely. I reckon I was more tired before the baby than after- my body was wrecked. If it's any consolation now baby is here my house is still a tip but at least I don't care as much anymore lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I think as long as it's 65cm (if you're over 5"3) then it's grand, any one will do. I just ordered mine online a couple of months ago. I think dunnes are still selling them too

I think Lidl had them at the weekend to... might be worth checking!
    The one in the labour ward when I had my baby was a Lidl one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Beanybabog wrote: »
    I was the same! Thought I'd get loads done when the nesting instinct kicked in and it skipped me entirely. I reckon I was more tired before the baby than after- my body was wrecked. If it's any consolation now baby is here my house is still a tip but at least I don't care as much anymore lol!

How are ye getting on beany with your babóg (see what I did there!?)!??

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭happypants

emsie1404 wrote: »
    Hi ladies, where did you get your birthing ball? Is it a specific one you need or can you just get a regular gym ball? Thanks a mill!

Lidl have the balls at the moment €7 midwife said to get size 65cm as it's easier to fall off the smaller ones.

Just a normal yoga ball!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

Ensure the ball is an anti-burst one - think most of them are but better to be sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 emsie1404

Thanks a mill happypants & dollybird!

We are getting soooooo close now!!

I'm in a Facebook group of women due the same week as me and lots of them have had their babies already!

We are getting soooooo close now!!

I'm in a Facebook group of women due the same week as me and lots of them have had their babies already!

Is it a group of Irish women? I couldn't find one for Irish women it's more American women I think. I don't post or read a whole lot on it but yeah definitely lots of women having their babies.

Im a bit worried about a trend I've noticed lately, I have 4 friends who had babies in the past 4 months. All 4 were induced. Not even after being over due by that long. Three were induced after just being two days over. It's a bit worrying that hospitals seem to be rushing deliveries and pushing inductions on mothers. I'm just seriously hoping I go naturally I don't want any interventions this time.

happypants wrote: »
    Is it a group of Irish women? I couldn't find one for Irish women it's more American women I think. I don't post or read a whole lot on it but yeah definitely lots of women having their babies.

Im a bit worried about a trend I've noticed lately, I have 4 friends who had babies in the past 4 months. All 4 were induced. Not even after being over due by that long. Three were induced after just being two days over. It's a bit worrying that hospitals seem to be rushing deliveries and pushing inductions on mothers. I'm just seriously hoping I go naturally I don't want any interventions this time.

My brother is a doctor and he told me that obs & gynae is the most litigious field of medicine - things do go wrong, and people nowadays sue when that happens. I'd imagine that might make many obstetricians more risk-averse and hence they'd rather induce than take on risk in more borderline cases?

I'm going to Holles St and they don't induce until you're 14 days over. It seems that most other hospitals induce after day 10. so I don't think there's much risk of a trigger-happy induction doctor for me!

• Advertisement

My brother is a doctor and he told me that obs & gynae is the most litigious field of medicine - things do go wrong, and people nowadays sue when that happens. I'd imagine that might make many obstetricians more risk-averse and hence they'd rather induce than take on risk in more borderline cases?

I'm going to Holles St and they don't induce until you're 14 days over. It seems that most other hospitals induce after day 10. so I don't think there's much risk of a trigger-happy induction doctor for me!

That's exactly what I think. After the few legal cases with babies in portlaoise etc it seems there are no risks being taken. I totally understand that if for medical reasons I need to be induced then of course I will. I'd rather not though. Agh, come on baby!! I had totally convinced myself I'd go early this time this feels like the longest known pregnancy to man! Lol

You are 39+4 right? Sure today could be the day! How long will they let you go over before induction? I think you can decline an induction if you don't want it.

You are 39+4 right? Sure today could be the day! How long will they let you go over before induction? I think you can decline an induction if you don't want it.

I think it's 12 days. Who knows by 12 days overdue I could take any option to get baby out!!! I have an appointment on tues (due date) to check babies size. I had a rough delivery with my daughter so they want to check baby isn't getting too big, that's when I think they'll suggest an induction. I'll see what happens!

I had dull like period pains from 3pm yest and I thought, right this is it, we are in business. I spent the day bouncing on my ball quietly freaking out... silly I know! I want baby to come and have been willing labour to start then when I thought it actually was, I felt nauseous, so nervous and a bit of a wreck. Then it all tapered off, didn't lead to contractions or anything and I've had nothing since!! Now I'm upset and disappointed that nothing has happened today. I was so ready today.

Well my waters broke at 4am on Monday morning, felt a pop and then soaked my Jammies thankfully didn't get the bed! I had only been saying to my friend earlier in the day that generally waters don't break and usually they have to break them in the hospital.

Anyway woke up, woke hubby up panicked a bit and got dressed. Soaked through 3 pairs of trackie bottoms and undies before I had left the house then another 3 at the hospital I thought waters breaking was one big gush but nope, it can happen right up til baby is born, heads up for anyone who didn't know that like me! Got to hospital at 2cm progressed onto strong contractions soon after.

My baby boy was born at 13:26 8lb 7oz. He came a day before due date. We are absolutely thrilled. So much easier than my daughters delivery. I couldn't have asked for better. I wish all the January mammies safe and happy deliveries!

Yayyyyyyy!!!! Our first January baby!!! That is SO exciting, I am delighted for you happypants! Wishing you and your baby boy a speedy recovery. Commiserations on all those tracksuit bottoms you now have to wash though!! Silly question but would maternity pads have been able to hold it? Or is the volume just so great that no matter how many you stuff in your undies, you're a soaked mess?

Just had hospital appointment there. Im ruined with heartburn lately and got no sleep last night due to it, so the doc prescribed me some ranitidine. Apparently the head is only 1/5 engaged though and due date is a week away so that was a little disappointing to hear. Midwife advised me to get squatting! And also to have lots of sex.... have started to forget what that is to be honest!

8 days til due date but I'm fully expecting to go over. We are going out for a curry on Friday night!

Happypants are you out of hospital yet? How are you and the wee man doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭cupcake queen

Just had hospital appointment there. Im ruined with heartburn lately and got no sleep last night due to it, so the doc prescribed me some ranitidine. Apparently the head is only 1/5 engaged though and due date is a week away so that was a little disappointing to hear. Midwife advised me to get squatting! And also to have lots of sex.... have started to forget what that is to be honest!

8 days til due date but I'm fully expecting to go over. We are going out for a curry on Friday night!

Ah, at least they were able to give you something for the heartburn. It really is the absolute worst. I have a friend who suffered with it really badly through her pregnancy but she says the minute baby was born it went away!! I'm clinging to that anyway :)

Midwife told me to get on the ball as well to encourage baby down. She basically said I wouldn't be going anywhere anytime soon either. But then I have friends who say their babies were not engaged and then all of a sudden they were so not to discount the possibility of going early!!

Ah, at least they were able to give you something for the heartburn. It really is the absolute worst. I have a friend who suffered with it really badly through her pregnancy but she says the minute baby was born it went away!! I'm clinging to that anyway :)

Midwife told me to get on the ball as well to encourage baby down. She basically said I wouldn't be going anywhere anytime soon either. But then I have friends who say their babies were not engaged and then all of a sudden they were so not to discount the possibility of going early!!

Did she tell you to do any particular movements on the ball to get the head down?

The midwife also recommended having regular hot baths (and hot curries!) to try to bring labour on. Unfortunately we don't have a bath - I wonder does a hot shower have any effect at all, or is it the hot water from the bath on the cervix that does the trick?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

38w 4d today, midwife said he is in position and ready to go! But she said he could still be overdue, and they would induce me if he is 12 days over. So basically it could happen today or in 3 weeks ha. The waiting!!!

The waiting is maddening, especially when you think of how long it could go on for!! I feel in a bit of a limbo, not really sure what to be doing with myself as I get tired so easily. Midwife didn't suggest any specific exercises, just said to sit on the ball as much as possible and to walk more.

The waiting is maddening, especially when you think of how long it could go on for!! I feel in a bit of a limbo, not really sure what to be doing with myself as I get tired so easily. Midwife didn't suggest any specific exercises, just said to sit on the ball as much as possible and to walk more.

I hear scrubbing the floors is great if you're looking for something to keep you busy haha! Also squatting as deep and low as you can can help move baby down.

I'm spending my days just taking it easy really! Doing a few wee household jobs and also making a patchwork quilt, but definitely not doing as much as I could (and probably should!) be. I figure we have any time to rest for years to come, so should make the most of it now!

Great news that all looks as if should, rawn. Did she say he's fully engaged?

39+3 and feeling very fed up, grumpy and impatient today!

39+3 and feeling very fed up, grumpy and impatient today!

Hang in there! I know the feeling, stuck in a heartburny irritable limbo!!!! 39+3 is so close though, I'm 38+3 so while I would like to think it could happen any time it probably won't. Not much else to be done before baby arrives...I haven't written down any birth preferences and they were all about it at the ante natal classes. That's the one thing I do need to do asap. Other than that, just waiting it out and trying to enjoy the down time...!

Thanks for the well wishes myself and himself are doing great! I feel back to myself (almost!) I felt like I'd done a few rounds with Tyson for a few days afterwards but that's to be expected! I had such a positive birth experience this time around so the recovery has been a walk in the park in comparison to when I had my daughter! I only had a first degree tear which is when the skin tears but no muscle. I needed one suture and I've had no issues with it healing!

With my daughter I had an episiotomy then a midwife told me to use tea tree oil on the stitches in between showers that dissolved my stitches and I was infected for 8 weeks and on numerous antibiotics I had to give up breastfeeding after two weeks as a result: DO NOT USE ANYTHING OTHER THAN WATER! I hope I haven't scared anyone but I wouldn't want anyone to go through what I did. A squeezey bottle to spray the area after weeing is all ya need and any tears should heal no probs.

The waters breaking was a massive gush of water, then when contractions kick in more and more gushes of water! Maternity pads dont really contain it- maybe adult nappies would but it is a lot of fluid!! The glamour of it all eh!?

I hope all you ladies waiting haven't got too long to go, what worked for me was a bit of 'adult time' with the husband... I think the trick is that both participants enjoy it if ya catch my drift lol

Ah I'm delighted to hear you're both doing so well! The thought of having your body back to yourself after such a long time of pregnancy... I'm so looking forward to that.

I need to get a squeezy water bottle. Would any bottle do, e.g. those water bottles you get in the shop with the drinking cap on them? Or did you get a particular one?

Trying to get round to some "adult time" myself.... it's been such a long time that I don't think either of us know what to do anymore!

Also I was let out of hospital on Tuesday before lunch, so less than 24hrs afterwards. They asked me if I wanted to go home and I jumped at the chance. You can't beat your home comforts!! I was on the dominos scheme as my health insurance had expired before I got preggers. In a way I'm delighted tho, the care I got was second to none the whole way through and I got to leave the next day. I was brought to a semi private ward anyway! I can't fault the staff in the rotunda they were just great!

Doesn't look like this baby is going anywhere soon. Just been to Holles street at 39+6 and baby's head still has to come down a bit. She tried to do a sweep but my cervix is too high and too closed up. Due date tomorrow. Sighhhhh

• Advertisement

Doesn't look like this baby is going anywhere soon. Just been to Holles street at 39+6 and baby's head still has to come down a bit. She tried to do a sweep but my cervix is too high and too closed up. Due date tomorrow. Sighhhhh

Ah I hope you're not waiting long!! You never know when baby might just drop and begin to make his/her exit. I read that some babies can drop a couple of weeks before Labour begins but with others it can just happen all at once! I'm 39 weeks tomorrow and not sure what the midwife will say. I dont think the baby has dropped as everyone says you would feel more space in the upper abdomen. I need to get out walking a bit more I reckon. What did they say would happen next in terms of bringIng you back in?

Advertisement