Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due January 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Ah I hope you're not waiting long!! You never know when baby might just drop and begin to make his/her exit. I read that some babies can drop a couple of weeks before Labour begins but with others it can just happen all at once! I'm 39 weeks tomorrow and not sure what the midwife will say. I dont think the baby has dropped as everyone says you would feel more space in the upper abdomen. I need to get out walking a bit more I reckon. What did they say would happen next in terms of bringIng you back in?

I'm just to come back in a week. I'm going to ask for another sweep then. If all is fine then they'll leave me go until 40+12 and do another scan. And if that's fine, they'll let me go to 40+14 before they induce... which usually takes a few days! That's their standard protocol.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭cupcake queen

I'm just to come back in a week. I'm going to ask for another sweep then. If all is fine then they'll leave me go until 40+12 and do another scan. And if that's fine, they'll let me go to 40+14 before they induce... which usually takes a few days! That's their standard protocol.

I was with the midwife this morning and its the same story, baby hasn't dropped. I'm back next Thursday which will be week 40 for me. I'm optimistic that baby might get into position by then, if I make l better effort with the ball. She is certainly moving around enough, I get the sense that she's had enough too and wouldn't say no to a bit more space :)

I was with the midwife this morning and its the same story, baby hasn't dropped. I'm back next Thursday which will be week 40 for me. I'm optimistic that baby might get into position by then, if I make l better effort with the ball. She is certainly moving around enough, I get the sense that she's had enough too and wouldn't say no to a bit more space :)

Ah I must have just missed you - I'm back in again today with reduced movements. Just waiting on a CTG, but they listened to heartbeat on Doppler which was fine... and baby has just started wriggling around now after 12 hours of silence! So I'm not as worried now.

Hope your wee one starts to make her descent very soon! I wish there was a magic trick to make all systems go... the wait is a killer! Come on January babies!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭happypants

Ah I must have just missed you - I'm back in again today with reduced movements. Just waiting on a CTG, but they listened to heartbeat on Doppler which was fine... and baby has just started wriggling around now after 12 hours of silence! So I'm not as worried now.

Hope your wee one starts to make her descent very soon! I wish there was a magic trick to make all systems go... the wait is a killer! Come on January babies!

Awe girls I hope your babies start making their way out soon! Nothing worse than watching due date come and go, with my daughter I went exactly a week over, it was a long long week! Two sweeps did it for me that time though. My babies head didn't engage this time until labour so that can happen too!

Sending happy laborious vibes your way! Get on the adult time like I mentioned before!! lol

Hope everything went ok yesterday Caitriona! I'm sure it's just a matter of days now for us both!! Been on my ball all last night and this morning after reading loads of stories online about how effective it can be :)

• Advertisement

Yes all was fine thankfully. Baby was a little quiet on CTG so they got me to see a doctor as well, but no concerns. She said she will induce me if it happens again though.

Keep bouncing on that ball! It's kinda boring though isn't it? I'm just sat down in a coffee shop here as am on a big long walk, which also involves stopping at every Luas station to go up and down the stairs several times haha! We are lacking in stairs in my house so the Luas stations are getting a waddling visitor

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

Mind your SPD! Good luck to all of you waiting.

Well, our little girl is here! 3 days ahead of schedule. Had cramps on Sat and started to lose my mucus plug, then they worsened and became actual contractions on Sunday. Tried to stay home as long as possible, using the hypnobirthing techniques etc and by the time I decided they were close enough together it was 2 am and we headed for hospital where they told me I was 4 cm!! I got into the birthing pool at 3 and baby was born at 5.30. She came out so fast in the end that I did need some stitches but that was the only snag. Feel really good otherwise if a little in shock that it happened so fast in the end!!

Omg!! Amazing!!! 3 days early too.... you lucky sod haha. Glad to hear all went so well and that you have your wee girl in your arms. Enjoy every moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

So happy for you CQ! Congratulations, glad you're both doing well, you must be so relieved to have it over and done with! I

• Advertisement

Thanks ladies! Yeah its brilliant that she's here. It was a crazy weekend; looking back on it I realise I was in labour all of Sunday and didn't even know it till the evening. I was trying to keep going at home as long as I could as I was afraid I was imagining it and would be sent home again! The birthing pool was a really interesting experience too. I had thought that I would Labour in it for pain relief (it was very relaxing) but get out to deliver but baby had other ideas and was here before we knew what was happening! Hope everyone else is doing well x

Thanks ladies! Yeah its brilliant that she's here. It was a crazy weekend; looking back on it I realise I was in labour all of Sunday and didn't even know it till the evening. I was trying to keep going at home as long as I could as I was afraid I was imagining it and would be sent home again! The birthing pool was a really interesting experience too. I had thought that I would Labour in it for pain relief (it was very relaxing) but get out to deliver but baby had other ideas and was here before we knew what was happening! Hope everyone else is doing well x

At what point did you realise "ok I'm definitely in labour"!? I'm a bit afraid I won't recognise it until my waters break or it gets really painful. My belly is like a rock most of the time!

rawn wrote: »
    At what point did you realise "ok I'm definitely in labour"!? I'm a bit afraid I won't recognise it until my waters break or it gets really painful. My belly is like a rock most of the time!

I started to have the show on Sat morning so I thought "this is it" but I was still waiting for my waters to break and/or regular contractions to confirm that it was happening. As it turned out my waters didn't break until I was in hospital and was really far along but the contractions started to get closer and closer together as Sunday wore on. By the night time we were timing them and once they were 5 mins apart we went for it. I live very close to the hospital though.

Still no signs of impending labour here. Six days over and had no idea I would find it so tough emotionally. Went to a breastfeeding talk yesterday and there were babies everywhere and I actually cried! I'm so impatient and frustrated and emotional.

In hospital again this morning for routine appt - head still feels high on palpation apparently and the registrar wouldn't do a sweep. She said they don't like to intervene, even though I'm six days over and the doctor a week ago was happy to do one? I got the impression she just didn't want to. She was young and said she would have to get someone else to do one anyway, then changed her mind. I was really holding out hope that by the time this appt came round I would have a sweep and at least have a little bit of hope that something might happen from there.

Baby's movements are still a bit weird at times so now waiting on a CTG just to check. But the head is so high and I've no signs of labour at all so I fear it's gonna be another 8 days before induction and I don't know how I'm gonna cope! I'm sat here fighting back tears, which I know is ridiculous as I'm still only six days overdue and I should be feeling lucky to have a baby in my womb who is going to be nicely cooked and healthy.... but it's all I can think of every moment of every day and even can't sleep because my brain is so wired to the moon with it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Still no signs of impending labour here. Six days over and had no idea I would find it so tough emotionally. Went to a breastfeeding talk yesterday and there were babies everywhere and I actually cried! I'm so impatient and frustrated and emotional.

In hospital again this morning for routine appt - head still feels high on palpation apparently and the registrar wouldn't do a sweep. She said they don't like to intervene, even though I'm six days over and the doctor a week ago was happy to do one? I got the impression she just didn't want to. She was young and said she would have to get someone else to do one anyway, then changed her mind. I was really holding out hope that by the time this appt came round I would have a sweep and at least have a little bit of hope that something might happen from there.

Baby's movements are still a bit weird at times so now waiting on a CTG just to check. But the head is so high and I've no signs of labour at all so I fear it's gonna be another 8 days before induction and I don't know how I'm gonna cope! I'm sat here fighting back tears, which I know is ridiculous as I'm still only six days overdue and I should be feeling lucky to have a baby in my womb who is going to be nicely cooked and healthy.... but it's all I can think of every moment of every day and even can't sleep because my brain is so wired to the moon with it all!

I'm an 'imposter' from the December group but also went overdue. It's my third and had only been a day or two over on the others so never dreamt I'd go so far over. Ended up being brought in when I was 10 days over but it felt like a lifetime. I went in for a check at 6 days over and when they said they wouldn't induce until day 10 I cried and cried! It was only 4 more days but felt like it would never come. I was so emotional. I bawled in the corridor outside the check up room! And would t normally be a crier.

Now looking back I can't believe I thought it was so terrible but i think what you're feeling is totally normal!

It didn't help either that a Doc had told me two weeks before that I was ready to go 'any day' :mad:
    I had three sweeps and none did any good.

Thank you so much for the kind words!

As it happens, hospital weren't too happy with the baby's movements so they have decided to induce me. After all my frustration and impatience, when the doc said she wanted to induce I started to cry with disappointment as I wanted so badly to go naturally! Also terrified of an emergency section, which I understand you're at 30% higher risk of with an induction. But she advised I go ahead and get induced so here I am.

Luckily my cervix was "favourable" and they were able to break my waters (what a pleasant experience lol), so I'm now lunging and squatting my way up and down the stairs to try to get some contractions on the go. If no progress by the morning, they'll start the oxytocin.

All very exciting!

Aw wow! What a rollercoaster for you! I know it's frustrating when things are taken out of your control but you're well on your way now, best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Caitriona if it helps ease your mind any bit I had an emcs and it was fine, it really was. I had a rough two weeks around the birth of my son and the section doesn't even figure in the bad bits at all. So while you might hopefully do fine with the natural birth don't be scared of the section :)

Agree that a section is fine but hopefully you won't need one. Good luck!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Thank you so much for the kind words!

As it happens, hospital weren't too happy with the baby's movements so they have decided to induce me. After all my frustration and impatience, when the doc said she wanted to induce I started to cry with disappointment as I wanted so badly to go naturally! Also terrified of an emergency section, which I understand you're at 30% higher risk of with an induction. But she advised I go ahead and get induced so here I am.

Luckily my cervix was "favourable" and they were able to break my waters (what a pleasant experience lol), so I'm now lunging and squatting my way up and down the stairs to try to get some contractions on the go. If no progress by the morning, they'll start the oxytocin.

All very exciting!

I ended up having my waters broken too, that didn't start anything (they only left me two hours though) so I had oxytocin. That worked fine and I didn't need a section so fingers crossed for you!

• Advertisement

I'm 40w 4d, had a scan and a sweep today, only between 1-2cm dilated so quite a bit to go! Booked for an induction next Thursday if he doesn't arrive before then. Hurry up! Luckily I'm feeling pretty good for the most part, kinda wishing I was still working as I keep counting up the wasted maternity leave sitting here twiddling my thumbs :D

Ah ye are all so good. Always reassuring to hear people who have had sections saying recovery isn't too bad.... especially coming from you fits when you were recovering with not one but two babies to care for!

Rawn I hope you get some news soon. Maybe the sweep will get you started. A doc tried to do one for me a week ago and couldn't get through the cervix. Today my cervix was "favourable enough" to break my waters so I'm sure you'll be getting underway soon enough. Thursday must still seem like a lifetime away though.... although odds are in your favour to go before then anyway. Good luck!

I think I'm starting to have some contractions but not sure. To me they feel like waves of sharp pains I sometimes get when I'm very constipated haha! But my tummy is tightening along with them. If they are contractions then I've been having them sporadically for a few days anyway. Hopefully we will have some progress soon anyway!

Wondering how Catrionanic got on...

fits wrote:
    Wondering how Catrionanic got on...

Was just wondering the same...

We got a wee boy! Born yesterday at 13.20,weighing in at 8lb 11oz and the spitting image of his daddy. We have called him Liam.

Birth was like nothing I could ever have imagined... very fast and intense for a first-tome labour with back to back contractions almost from the beginning. Unfortunately I'm not really built for birthing big babies so had to have a lot of stitching afterwards. But breastfeeding going well so far, much better than I expected, and sure he's just gorgeous!

He might have a bit of a wait for a sibling though !!!

Congratulations!!! So happy for you, glad it was nice and fast! Brilliant news and glad you didn't have to have a section in the end <3

Ah wow. Congratulations! Mine are only reaching those weights now. Best of luck over the next while

Brilliant news Caitriona!!
    Congratulations :)

Is anyone else still waiting? I think I'm the last one, still no sign so it's looking like it'll be a Feb baby for me!

• Advertisement

Aw rawn hang on in there! How many days over are you nowa? If I hadn't had to be induced due to movements then I'd probably be having a February baby too

Advertisement