Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Socket Request

Options
  • 12-05-2016 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have signed up for Sky broadband but there is no phone socket in the house since it was renovated so Sky sent a socket request to eir.

An engineer arrived this morning to put in the new socket but told me he couldn't do anything unless there was already a socket there or the eir main cable was sticking out of the wall. He advised that I would need an electrician to locate the eir cable and expose it before he could do anything.

What is the point of the engineer coming to action a socket request if all he is able to do is fit a new plate on a socket/cable?

Did he just not fancy the job so fobbed me off?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If the cable is hidden/obstructed by 3rd parties its not OpenEirs job to relocate it, its yours. Hardly fair to hold OpenEir responsible for actions of other contractors is it? (who if they knew what they were at would have left it in place with a blank plate etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

ED E wrote: »
    If the cable is hidden/obstructed by 3rd parties its not OpenEirs job to relocate it, its yours. Hardly fair to hold OpenEir responsible for actions of other contractors is it? (who if they knew what they were at would have left it in place with a blank plate etc).

It was my understanding that he would be able to locate and fit it as I specifically told sky that there was no socket/plate in the house currently. Maybe a communication issue between sky and eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

nialldinho wrote: »
    ED E wrote: »

It was my understanding that he would be able to locate and fit it as I specifically told sky that there was no socket/plate in the house currently. Maybe a communication issue between sky and eir.
    Not really, Sky rep should have properly informed you. Unfortunately sales reps in all the operators don't tend to understand the practical sides too well. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

nialldinho wrote: »
    Hi

I have signed up for Sky broadband but there is no phone socket in the house since it was renovated so Sky sent a socket request to eir.

An engineer arrived this morning to put in the new socket but told me he couldn't do anything unless there was already a socket there or the eir main cable was sticking out of the wall. He advised that I would need an electrician to locate the eir cable and expose it before he could do anything.

What is the point of the engineer coming to action a socket request if all he is able to do is fit a new plate on a socket/cable?

Did he just not fancy the job so fobbed me off?
    Hi  nialldinho,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Unfortunately as you have renovated the house you would need a electrician to arrange this as eir would not provide internal wiring I'm afraid. Apologies I could not offer you better news. 

-Pamela 

Advertisement