Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Galway!

• 12-05-2016 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hey guys

im moving to Galway in a few weeks to work for SAP
    when im not trying everywhere to find accommodation (nightmare) i am trying to figure out bus routes. Is the public transport fairly decent?
    i cant seem to read the bus routes - does anyone know if there is a bus that leaves you at the terminus just outside SAP? I did see a bus stop there but its hard to tell if a bus stops there

any recommendations for Galway in general? A bit nervous about the move :eek::eek:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endaaaagh

The 409 goes from Eyre square and drops you off in Parkmore, just down the road from SAP. I'm not sure of the interval (think it's every 15/20mins).

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭jameskil

Cheers dude!
    Wasnt sure as google maps says it drops you off a 15 minute walk away.
    Ill have to do a test run :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭SaucySue

As mentioned the 409 ends right at the entrance to the estate which SAP is in,prob a five min walk I'd say, more or less. The 409 is every 12 mins until I think 7pm, and every 20 mins after that. The 403 also goes to the same stop, via different route in case you end up living along that route. I think 403 is every 30 mins but not 100% sure on that to be honest. There's no direct route AFAIK from Westside of the city (Knocknacarra/Barna/Salthill) to the east side where SAP is so if you're planning on using public transport it'll be a lot easier to either live on the east side or in or near city centre, rather than get bus from west side to town then wait around for connecting bus to other side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭SaucySue

I'm not recommending or otherwise any of these areas, but for example Doughiska and Renmore (parts of it anyway) would be on 409 route, also parts of Roscam would be walking distance from 409 if near to the sportsground/crossroads. Ballybane, Wellpark, and Ballybrit would be on 403 route. I'm sure there are other residential areas along the bus routes too,though are just the ones that come to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,011 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

SaucySue wrote: »
    As mentioned the 409 ends right at the entrance to the estate which SAP is in,prob a five min walk I'd say, more or less. The 409 is every 12 mins until I think 7pm, and every 20 mins after that. The 403 also goes to the same stop, via different route in case you end up living along that route. I think 403 is every 30 mins but not 100% sure on that to be honest.

Yes, those are the right times.

OP - some maps which may help you:

Parkmore area and bus info: http://www.galwaytransport.info/2008/12/parkmore-area-see-map-at-bottom-of-this.html

Parkmore East layout (though SAP is pretty hard to miss!): http://www.galwaytransport.info/2010/10/parkmore-east-business-and-technology.html

And this version of the 409 route map lists many of the estates that it goes past: http://www.galwaytransport.info/2012/02/bus-service-409-parkmore-via-doughiska.html

Happy house hunting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Miss Informed

You'll love it here! Coming into summer is a great time to be in Galway, the city really comes to life (regardless of whether the sun shines or not!).

I have no bus info for you but socially, if you're into music you'll network easily, the roisin dubh open mic night, or the cellar's monday night gigs which I work at are especially lovely in terms of community atmosphere (my pay or conditions are in no way affected by the number of people coming, so I'm not selling it to you, I actually just really love it!). If you're into sport there's lots going on too, which I know nothing about but I see, like, people doing stuff and things. If you're joining a gym, the Radisson is great (I go there so am biased) - a little more expensive but it's never packed, has a hot tub that over looks the river and the staff are amazing with personal training plans and hold members events through out the year, BBQ should be coming up!

Basically, if you're interested in anything, you should easily and quickly make friends and find stuff to do here. You're moving at a great time of year, I wish you a smooth and easy transition! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭skinny90

Also starting with SAP in a few weeks :-) check out the house hunting page on Facebook there is plenty available going up there both in town and on route to parkmore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Also worth pointing out that cycling to work is a live option at sap as there is shower facilities there. The cycling infrastructure in galway isn't fantastic but its also not the worst. It might also give you more options for house hunting. I cycle over from westside, which as another poster pointed out would involve getting two buses to get to sap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Galway is a great place to live, just make sure you don't settle for crap accommodation as there is lots of bad stuff out there.

Assuming you can find a place but most students leave at end of May so there should be stock coming online soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Hows the traffic situation these days getting out to Parkmore from the city in the mornings?

Its been over 5 years since i lived in galway and i lived in Doughiska. Used to take me 30 minutes to drive from doughiska some mornings with the traffic. The bus takes the same route.

• Advertisement

skinny90 wrote: »
    Also starting with SAP in a few weeks :-) check out the house hunting page on Facebook there is plenty available going up there both in town and on route to parkmore

Thanks! Slightly freaking out as I am still looking and I start work Tuesday 😢 may have to Bnb it a while. What's the bus situation with traffic? Does galway have bus lanes? I thought I'd get to do a test run but didn't.

Hows the traffic situation these days getting out to Parkmore from the city in the mornings?

Its been over 5 years since i lived in galway and i lived in Doughiska. Used to take me 30 minutes to drive from doughiska some mornings with the traffic. The bus takes the same route.

Does galway have bus lanes?

Endaaaagh wrote: »
    The 409 goes from Eyre square and drops you off in Parkmore, just down the road from SAP. I'm not sure of the interval (think it's every 15/20mins).

Hi and thanks. Do you know if their times factors in traffic? As in if they say 30 mins from Eyre square is it actually 30 mins?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

jameskil wrote: »
    Does galway have bus lanes?
    Yes! You'll find Galway to be a most cosmopolitan locus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,011 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

jameskil wrote: »
    Hi and thanks. Do you know if their times factors in traffic? As in if they say 30 mins from Eyre square is it actually 30 mins?

No, they don't factor in traffic.

To be sure of getting there for 9am, I'd be catching the 8am bus from the Square.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭skinny90

Hey man
    I'm driving out each morning from town and I find it grand, typically 15 mins. I've just started this week but all in all its fine. Going home is frustrating. Circa 35/45 mins in traffic. Any other tips pm me and il try and assist you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭misstearheus

Any luck with place to live O.P?

Any luck with place to live O.P?

i got a place a few days before i started.
    And i generally catch teh bus at 2:07 from the G hotel and im out there by 2:25pm so its all good!

my second week here and have to say i am loving Galway :)

No, they don't factor in traffic.

To be sure of getting there for 9am, I'd be catching the 8am bus from the Square.
    thnaks - it takes me 15 mins so its not too bad :)

skinny90 wrote: »
    Hey man
    I'm driving out each morning from town and I find it grand, typically 15 mins. I've just started this week but all in all its fine. Going home is frustrating. Circa 35/45 mins in traffic. Any other tips pm me and il try and assist you

Thanks Buddy - bus gets me there in 15 mins so its all good. So far anyway :) Hows your job going?

• Advertisement
Advertisement