Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

"White privilege"? Really? He was being honest as legal tax avoidance is what businesses will naturally try to do if they can.

Hillary finished well but she didn't handle the stuff about the emails at all well, nor had much of a retort for any time that Trump mentioned that she hadn't done much for the 26 years she had some political power.

The stuff Trump said about Bill Clinton too was good which she didn't seem to have a great response to.

But as said, he did not handle the birth cert stuff well at all, nor the things he has said about women being put to him and what he said again about Rosie, yet again, just came across as crass.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The new Joe the plumber will be that guy Trump didn't pay, on whatever building project Trump was involved in.

Expect Hillary to double down on this ordinary Joe who just emailed us, who had to let go of hundreds of people just like you due so Trump could pay no taxes, versus, he was shyte at his job, the American Dream, work hard, play hard and you get to me.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,266 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Anyone still want Bernie Sanders no? no?

OK...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭Ilovemybricks

Witchie wrote: »
    White privilege personified.

An Irish person using this nonsensical term should be catapulted to the US. You don't think wealthy non white folks don't have accountants helping them to pay as little tax as possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭tigger123

Looks like victory in Round 1 to Clinton. A long way to go though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

He was being honest as legal tax avoidance is what businesses will naturally try to do if they can.
    Yeah, but it's really trendy at the moment in many countries to be outraged about legal tax avoidance and shouting at companies to "pay your fair share", even though they've paid their legal share.

Admitting and gloating that his company paid no tax is a ridiculously short-sighted move.

If Trump had turned that around to read, "My company paid the legally correct amount of tax, which was and still is too low, so I will fix the tax code so that companies pay their fair share of tax".

Of course, he's talking about cutting tax, but someone who had the hot topics nailed down would have turned it around.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,128 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

seamus wrote: »
    Yeah, but it's really trendy at the moment in many countries to be outraged about legal tax avoidance and shouting at companies to "pay your fair share", even though they've paid their legal share.

Admitting and gloating that his company paid no tax is a ridiculously short-sighted move.

If Trump had turned that around to read, "My company paid the legally correct amount of tax, which was and still is too low, so I will fix the tax code so that companies pay their fair share of tax".

Of course, he's talking about cutting tax, but someone who had the hot topics nailed down would have turned it around.

He's also banged on enough about american corps avoiding paying the ridiculous US corp taxes by going abroad like apple, google etc and how he will stop it that its incredibly hypocritical of him to then turn around and go yeah "I do it cus im smart"

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

"White privilege"? Really? He was being honest as legal tax avoidance is what businesses will naturally try to do if they can.

Yes, it's good for business. Not good when you're running for President, when you're saying how all these things need to be improved but you've spent years not just ensuring you pay as minimal towards those things as possible but also given his bankruptcies, has also caused money to be taken out of that pot too.

Legal tax avoidance is legal. It is not moral. It is not something someone who is running for President should ever have done, and anyone who has done it, shouldn't run for President.

Trump got slaughtered in that debate. He can't even deflect arguments well and just ends up flapping his gums with his 3 standard comebacks which are devoid of reason or context. And any time he does try and actually explain something, he talks pure and utter nonsense of the highest order. His answers about "cyber" and his support for the Iraq war "Ask Sean Hannity! Why is no one asking Sean Hannity?!" are the ramblings of a lunatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

So worth watching the replay then? I could read the media coverage but it's heavily in favour of Hilary either way I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

It says it all that Trump point blank denied ever saying he doesn't pay those taxes, almost immediately afterwards in the spin room. He knows he f*cked up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Solid win for Trump here. Disgraceful that Democrat administrations that Clinton had been a part of have been allowing tax dodgers like Donald Trump to get away with tax evasion for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Solid win for Trump here. Disgraceful that Democrat administrations that Clinton had been a part of have been allowing tax dodgers like Donald Trump to get away with tax evasion for so long.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Cupra280

I'm so glad that Hillary mentioned Trump's thin skin. Genius to say that somebody that gets angry following a tweet should not be let anywhere near nuclear launch codes.

I'm sure Trump thinks that he would be a great President - like Martin Sheen's character in West Wing. But, I am sure in reality he'd be a megalomaniac - like Martin Sheen's character in Stephen King's Dead Zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭tigger123

Cupra280 wrote: »
    I'm so glad that Hillary mentioned Trump's thin skin. Genius to say that somebody that gets angry following a tweet should not be let anywhere near nuclear launch codes.

I'm sure Trump thinks that he would be a great President - like Martin Sheen's character in West Wing. But, I am sure in reality he'd be a megalomaniac - like Martin Sheen's character in Stephen King's Dead Zone.

There's a lot of Martin Sheen in that post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

Boards.ie.

Shìt. I'm still on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

tigger123 wrote: »
    There's a lot of Martin Sheen in that post.

I'd be more worried about Trump's similarity with Charlie Sheen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Cupra280 wrote: »

Bill once lost the codes, albeit the codes to get into a briefcase with the codes inside. But certainly the type of thing you should be taking very good care of.
    He never told anyone.

I don't think Trump is any worse of a candidate than either of the Bushes or Trickiy Dickie.

He just has an existing media profile which means the whole world knows what he's like.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,454 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Bill once lost the codes, albeit the codes to get into a briefcase with the codes inside. But certainly the type of thing you should be taking very good care of.
    He never told anyone.

I don't think Trump is any worse of a candidate than either of the Bushes or Trickiy Dickie.

He just has an existing media profile which means the whole world knows what he's like.

thats a pretty low bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

The real only winner is the Voyager probe that's speeding away from earth at 39600miles/hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Vote Probe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

The real only winner is the Voyager probe that's speeding away from earth at 39600miles/hour.
    First AH post that has made me laugh out loud in a long time. Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Bill once lost the codes
    He never told anyone.

Just you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

He never told anyone.

If he never told anyone, how do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Hillary handed his a$$ to him there.

I can't see how he can be elected now after admitting, sorry bragging about not paying taxes. Wow. White privilege personified.

Am in no way a fan of Hillary but would have her a million times over gob****e himself.
    No, she didn't. She finished strong and, if you take the whole debate, won, but she was weak on business, the economy and domestic policy. Those are the things that matter most.

Also, pretty sure his tax point was about how other companies don't pay tax. He said that he knew the loopholes and could close them. Don't want Trump to win but Hillary edged the debate and lost the key points that will matter to voters.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

ligerdub wrote: »
    Twaddle.

Did it take you long to come up with that well crafted response? What exactly did I say that was twaddle?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,454 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Oddly enough, the "have a beer" factor was credited with helping George W.

which was ironic given he doesnt drink any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

Hillary handed his a$$ to him there.

I can't see how he can be elected now after admitting, sorry bragging about not paying taxes. Wow. White privilege personified.

Am in no way a fan of Hillary but would have her a million times over gob****e himself.

If you are a white irish person using that term then i'm embarrassed for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

I think to most media observers Clinton won.

But does it really matter what most media observers think?

To really 'win' she needs to persuade democrats who dont like her to get out and vote. I am not convinced she has done that.
    And Trump has to convince moderate conservatives that he is a viable option....he has not overly damaged that cause.

Much and muchness really. No knock out blow. We go on!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Most polls have Trump winning and I haven't watched it. Apparently he even went easy on her. This is going to be a blowout in November.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

CNBC and Time Magazine said a Trump win according to the polls they put out, and they're both left leaning (as is just about the whole media tbh which is completely pro Clinton.)

I haven't seen the debate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement