Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

I'm sick of media bias.

To be honest it doesn't seem like you're sick of media bias so much as you're annoyed by a perceived bias against your preferred candidate. And if you can ignore Trump's continuous stream of hypocrisy, ignorance and readily-identifiable lies, that really betrays a pretty big bias on your part.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'm not doing the exact same thing at all since I never claimed that it wasn't true.

No, you're doing the exact same thing by presenting something the Clintons did as being illegal when it wasn't.
    The classic approach.. Take the most serious claim of an event, prove that it's not all true and then use it as evidence that none of it's true while hoping no one reads all of it.

A House government reform subcommittee conducted a year-long investigation concluding in 2002 which found that many of the gifts received by the Clintons had been undervalued, some were never reported and some were listed as lost or missing. No allegations of illegality were made.

Sounds a lot like stealing to me.

But yes, Trump losing almost $1bn in one year is newsworthy when he's running for President and one of his main points is how great of a businessman he is. And yes, the conjecture that he has used that, legally or illegally, to reduce or avoid how much tax he has paid over the last 20 years is newsworthy when he has refused to release his tax returns which shows that he's quite likely hiding something.

And given that no-one from Trump's circle of spokespeople, and not even Trump himself, have denied it is pretty damning. Hell, Guiliani was saying how it makes Trump a genius.

Trump's tweet about the New York Times' piece:
    "I know our complex tax laws better than anyone who has ever run for president and am the only one who can fix them. #failing@nytimes"

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Trump has been getting savaged since the first debate; primarily because he refused to go to ground and say nothing. Instead going on bizarre early-morning tirades (factually incorrect ones) about inconsequential players in the campaign. And high-profile supporters like Guiliani making statements that he thinks are helpful, but realistically polarise the undecided voters against Trump.

Clinton basically doesn't have to do anything to win this one now. Let Trump and his mouthy supporters dig his own grave, smile and chuckle at him during the debates, and it's all but over for him.

Don't know if it's been posted yet but thought this was great

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

The thing about Trump and taxes is he really shouldn't berate others for paying no tax when he isn't paying any?
    Donald Trump's past tweets about taxes are drawing fresh scrutiny after the New York Times reported he paid no taxes for nearly two decades having declared losses approaching $1bn.

The Republican presidential candidate has used his Twitter megaphone in recent years to wag a finger at everyone from Barack Obama to Amazon boss Jeff Bezos on paying their fair share.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37535643

• Advertisement

Penn wrote: »
    No, you're doing the exact same thing by presenting something the Clintons did as being illegal when it wasn't.

It wasn't illegal or they weren't prosecuted? If you're accusing me "of doing the exact same thing", it's an important distinction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

It wasn't illegal or they weren't prosecuted? If you're accusing me "of doing the exact same thing", it's an important distinction.

Well Trump was never prosecuted for at least 2 alleged rapes including his first wife, that means by all measures he is innocent, to the best of my knowledge Clinton has never been found guilty of any crime so she to too remains innocent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

Just watched the debate back there and Hilary destroyed him. My OP makes me cringe now; He's far from a decent guy.

But he is still strangely compelling in his self-belief and he's still hilarious and insane.

Another couple of debates like that and I can't imagine why anyone would vote for the guy.
    Fun while it lasted though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

Lol. Trump took out a NOL, which is perfectly normal, legal and something that every business owner probably does once in a while.

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/n/netoperatingloss.asp

What's interesting about all of this is how these documents actually leaked.

Lol. Trump took out a NOL, which is perfectly normal, legal and something that every business owner probably does once in a while.

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/n/netoperatingloss.asp

What's interesting about all of this is how these documents actually leaked.

I am sure it is legal but is it moral to avoid paying tax for twenty years whilst you berate others for not paying tax? It just adds another question to the mounting ones against this mans character.

From what I have seen of his character he should not be allowed to run for a councillors seat let alone what is probably the most powerful political office on the planet.

• Advertisement

Well Trump was never prosecuted for at least 2 alleged rapes including his first wife, that means by all measures he is innocent, to the best of my knowledge Clinton has never been found guilty of any crime so she to too remains innocent.

Holy fuk that's amazing. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

My OP makes me cringe now; He's far from a decent guy.

But he is still strangely compelling in his self-belief and he's still hilarious and insane.
    An interesting and timely psychological study came out in the last week;
    http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-narcissists-emotional-intelligence-20160927-snap-story.html

It suggests that in any new group formation, narcissists typically gain the applause and admiration of the group quickly, but over longer timescales they fall out of favour as it becomes clear that they're unreliable and clueless.

Fairly well parallels this election campaign as many people initially loved Trump's "stick it to the man" straight-talking and energy, but have come to realise over time that he hasn't a clue what he's at and virtually every word out of his mouth is what he thinks people want to hear rather than the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I think the fact that the loss was nine hundred million dollars makes it just a hint more than something "every business owner does once in a while".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

What isn't getting much mention is the sheer hypocrisy of Trump claiming it to be 'smart' that he doesn't pay taxes and further defending himself by claiming "They waste the money. They don't know what they are doing with the money. Some cases they do, and they have bad motives" is that in the USA, the taxpayer foots the bill for bankruptcy. Some love this concept as it promotes enterprise and taking risks as the person filing can to an extent just hit the reset button rather than being left in financial ruin for going all out in pursuit of their dreams. Others hate it, as they feel it is abused by businesses - and Trump is a prime example.

Despite the high chance that he exaggerates and even just fabricates his own personal fortune, the fact is he has used bankruptcy claims for his own personal gain and at the expense of those who worked in his four businesses that have had to claim it. Yet despite this, he has claimed and claimed by most reports to the tune of billions of dollars, yet at he same time as this has contributed very little - possibly nothing - back by way of federal taxes for 20-odd years. In typical Donald Trump fashion, he is happy to take and take and take and take from the cookie jar, doing everything he can to keep every last crumb for himself, but when it comes to giving back in... nothing.

He is, and for decades has been, more than happy for the increasingly under-pressure US lower and middle classes to foot the bill for his wastage and failures in the business world, with the truth now coming out that it has been pretty much all one way traffic with him contributing as little as possible - again, quite possibly nothing - back in return. The man is a fraud, and indeed that is why he is set to go to trial just two weeks (if memory serves me correct) after the election itself for defrauding the US public out of millions of dollars and on multiple counts, relating to his 'Trump University' sham. If anything, it's a tidy snapshot into what to expect should he win the presidency - taking as many dollars as he can off as many people as he can be they rich, middle class or poor, and funneling them into his and his family's own pockets while caring absolutely nothing for the impact it will have on the everyday American or the country as a whole.

Donald Trump wants to claim that the US government 'wastes the money'? Well the fact is, they have been wasting it on him, maybe more than any other single individual in the entire United States. The strained blue collar workers who I believe are possibly the only voting bloc of his to have a legitimate (read: desperation) reason to get behind him are also, as I have repeatedly said, being sold snake oil. If not for him, there would have been billions of dollars extra for the US governments of the last twenty-plus years to throw into funding for various areas including job creation and welfare.

If people believe the money is being wasted and wonder where some of those billions of dollars have gone, then look no further than Trump himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Just watched the debate back there and Hilary destroyed him. My OP makes me cringe now; He's far from a decent guy.

Another couple of debates like that and I can't imagine why anyone would vote for the guy.
    Fun while it lasted though.

While it's childish, I liked the https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldfF6chin5s It's very catchy. Yer man is smug, and braggadocious is a perfectly cromulent word, but it's still funny.

As per what you posted, "No allegations of illegality were made".

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Donald delivered his usual mix of bravado, meaningless buzz phrases and woolly generalisations.

It's that lack of conventional polish that sets him apart from career politicians & seems to resonate with many of the electorate. It also makes him hard to pin down in a debate - I bet Hilary just wanted to blurt out 'what the fcuk are you talking about you gibbering buffoon'.

Hillary's wow comment was basically calling him a gibbering buffoon.

He went on some bizarre rant for about 5 minutes and nobody said anything, just left him to it. Gives people an idea of what his presidency would look like.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Pretty big difference..
    Nope.
    Anyways, everything else that has come out about Hillary has turned out to be true
    It's been proven she really is dying? She got found guilty of all those murders? It's been proven that she really is Lucifer? She literally has been fighting ISIS (founded 1999) since 1966? And she literally founded them, way back over 30 years before they were founded?

Shall I go on?

Billy86 wrote: »
    Nope.

It's been proven she really is dying? She got found guilty of all those murders? It's been proven that she really is Lucifer? She literally has been fighting ISIS (founded 1999) since 1966? And she literally founded them, way back over 30 years before they were founded?

Shall I go on?

Yeah go for it.

Yeah go for it.
    Kind of hard to take anything you say in any way seriously at this point, given you think Clinton founded ISIS 33 years before they were founded, and has been fighting them for just as long while murdering everyone who crosses her path and simultaneously inhabiting multiple plains of existence.

• Advertisement

Billy86 wrote: »
    Kind of hard to take anything you say in any way seriously at this point, given you think Clinton founded ISIS 33 years before they were founded, and has been fighting them for just as long while murdering everyone who crosses her path and simultaneously inhabiting multiple plains of existence.

I didn't say that. I just want the full list.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,763 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I can give you a very short one from your friend.

In the debate, HC said DT denied Global Warming. He interjected and said twice "I never said that".

Looking into his twitter feed, you will find he tweeted in 2013 that it was bunkum. He told a televised rally in 2015 that it was made up by the Chinese!!?

He either has absolutely no qualms about lying through his teeth when he is on the record twice within the last 3 years, or he doesn't realise he was lying. Either way, that's a scary prospect.

You did... it's already been quoted in the post that you seem to have since deleted. Safe to call it a climb down on your end then I guess, but you did say it.
    Anyways, everything else that has come out about Hillary has turned out to be true

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I guess this is why Hillary is popular here with some.

https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/782906224937410562

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Arturo Bandini

RobertKK wrote: »

There's a bizarre lack of coverage about this, even from the right. I thought Wikileaks were deemed to be a credible source?

Tbh the fact that someone as tainted as Clinton is leading the polls just demonstrates how bad Trump is as an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

The fact is that the US political system, supported by a largely partisan media has produced these two candidates for president. That is the choice they have contrived to give themselves.

Of the two, Clinton is immeasurably the better and only blind partisanship could explain why anyone would vote for the other lunatic.

But who knows; either way, they deserve the candidates they have got and they will deserve the president that eventually emerges.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Not popular, just better than Trump. And the quote is really desperate reaching. The Guards are not called everytime someone in Ireland says in exasperation that they are going to kill someone.

Its true though Trump wouldn't drone Assange. He would target Assange's ex-wife and son instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,763 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

And Trump thrice in one day asked about nuking China... what's your point?

• Advertisement

gandalf wrote: »
    Tbh the fact that someone as tainted as Clinton is leading the polls just demonstrates how bad Trump is as an alternative.
    Yep. I think she would be beating Ted Cruz by even more, but outside of that I couldn't really see her beating out most of the others despite their incompetence. The same goes in reverse insomuch as the race would have been over before it even began, because Clinton really is not a good candidate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement