Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,451 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The passion aggression is strong with this one.

LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

No, it was a typo at the start, then I decided to turn it into a general comment so that you might understand.

If it was a typo to begin with and you did mean NYP, then your post didn't make much sense at all.

"I like the way the New York Post try and spin it as an intelligence insulting thing (only smart people use big words because I read Hamlet in college) when its anything but lol" is about as wildly inaccurate as you can get when discussing the content of the NYP, and it is a strangely defensive comment to make about probably Trump's biggest media ally outside of Breitbart.

Are you sure you're not covering a reading comprehension gaffe? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It starts at the 55 second mark.. Poor wording if you really look into it but I highly doubt any of the veterans sitting there would have noticed it. He's speaking solemnly and with respect more than anything.

Again, I agree. It was poor wording on his part and I think it's being overblown. But that simply isn't always the case with what he says.
    Now, Trump does loads of this sort of stuff and is therefore always at risk of sounding like an idiot.. But don't you think that if this just another egregious example of him being taken out of context, that maybe it has happened many times before? That's why I always check and nine times out of ten, it's been completely misrepresented.

Hillary hasn't had a single press conference in 2016 or has put herself in front of a camera where she doesn't know what will be asked. She has avoided sounding like an idiot, simply by avoiding random questions.

When I fact-check Hillary, it always gets worse and worse because the media downplays her scandals. When I fact-check Trump, it has usually been overblown 90% of the time.

Being taken out of context once doesn't mean it's what always happens, and I'd strongly disagree with his comments being misrepresented "nine times out of ten". Besides which, look at Hillary's 'basement dweller' comments. Except, she never used that term, and was speaking sympathetically about people, not making fun of them. It was Trump who tried to make that into something it wasn't.

Regardless, as President, both would have to be in the situation Trump finds himself in regarding speaking publicly and often. We have seen Trump can't do it to any great degree. The same can't be said for Hillary. She's avoided making such speeches and press conferences during this campaign because she can. She can let Trump dig a hole for himself with his speeches, while she sits back and does nothing. And it's working, because he does.
    As usual, someone will reply to this comment and call me a supporter which will discredit my entire post.. By doing that, a lot of posters here will think that I'm a liar. Because of that, they'll think Trump actually said "vets with PTSD are weak" and that will predictably change by the end of the week to "Trump said people with mental health problems are weak".
    And because they think I'm a liar, my claim about press conferences will be deemed to be either a lie or unimportant as they only hear that stat from "Trump supporters".

I'm not a Hillary supporter, just like I believe you're not a Trump supporter. We just have different opinions on who the lesser of the two evils are. That's fine. Neither one will come out of this covered in any great glory. Hell, even if Hillary wins she'll still be the candidate who was almost beaten by Donald Trump.

The media will always find anything to make a story about. They have to. They're on 24 hours a day and it's an election year. But Trump is giving them more to make stories out of by his repeated failure to speak sensibly without offending anyone. He is giving them stories by making stupid comments most of the time apropos of nothing. And he is giving them stories due to much of the stuff in his past which he seemingly didn't even consider might come to light if he ran for President.

Hillary has been in that spotlight for decades. The media know her and unless something new comes out, there's very little they can make a story about that isn't already known. That's why she doesn't have to make all these speeches and appearances. She doesn't have to do anything.

Well said.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Sometimes I wonder why bother with the election. Pretty obvious Trump is going to smash her. A months wait can delay making America great again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

I have been ridiculed in this thread and have been called a Trump supporter because I hate the media coverage of this.. This is just another perfect example of fact vs. fiction and why I barely believe a negative word about him anymore until I fact-check it. Apparently, not believing that he said "veterans are weak" makes me a supporter.

You're objecting to this? With all of the other unequivocally horrible stuff that has come out of his mouth, this kind of stuff is annoying you? When you focus on this stuff, it's very hard to conclude anything other than you have a preferred candidate, in spite of your protestations.

You talk about objectivity. It's the height of absurdity to suggest that one should look at Trump's statements out of context and in isolation from one another. The article might have been reaching but this is the same Trump who claims to only "like people who aren't captured" and tried to publicly denigrate the mother of dead soldier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

jooksavage wrote: »
    You're objecting to this? With all of the other unequivocally horrible stuff that has come out of his mouth, this kind of stuff is annoying you? When you focus on this stuff, it's very hard to conclude anything other than you have a preferred candidate, in spite of your protestations.

You talk about objectivity. It's the height of absurdity to suggest that one should look at Trump's statements out of context and in isolation from one another. The article might have been reaching but this is the same Trump who claims to only "like people who aren't captured" and tried to publicly denigrate the mother of dead soldier.
    Not sure how you managed to quote me on this!? :p

Billy86 wrote: »
    Not sure how you managed to quote me on this!? :p

oops. Corrected now. Quoting quotes standing on the bus. Perilous stuff!

Please. You found nothing objectionable about his comments to George Stephanopoulos about Ghazala Khan? Really? This is Ok?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hynamapPxXc

*edit: I'm replying to a comment that seems to have been deleted

jooksavage wrote: »
    Please. You found nothing objectionable about his comments to George Stephanopoulos about Ghazala Khan? Really? This is Ok?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hynamapPxXc

*edit: I'm replying to a comment that seems to have been deleted

I deleted it because I looked into it more myself.. But anyways, I'll bite. What parts in particular should I be checking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Sometimes I wonder why bother with the election. Pretty obvious Trump is going to smash her. A months wait can delay making America great again.

Keep on deluding yourself.

I deleted it because I looked into it more myself.. But anyways, I'll bite. What parts in particular should I be checking?

I think the wrongs of that episode have been comprehensively trashed out already. Trump's own behaviour was bad enough but it was the reaction of Trump-buddy Roger Stone that really drives it home just how downright rotten their campaign is. Trump's own words and actions (and his supporters') vastly outweigh any contribution the media are makkng to his negative image.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I thought the same a couple of months ago. But since then, the trump train has not only stopped, but it's derailed and on fire. Every time he opens his mouth he fúcks up.

Cienciano wrote: »

I thought the same a couple of months ago. But since then, the trump train has not only stopped, but it's derailed and on fire. Every time he opens his mouth he f cks up.
    Doesn't matter. It isn't an election on policy anyway, Trump is aiming to win on emotion and folklore, a harp back to a time of greatness for America and playing on those emotions against the evil establishment candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Doesn't matter. It isn't an election on policy anyway, Trump is aiming to win on emotion and folklore, a harp back to a time of greatness for America and playing on those emotions against the evil establishment candidate.

It's not working very well

yeah because trump is neither of those things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I love these two quotes when taken together. Thanks for the confirmation; I never was -quite- sure how serious you were being.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,010 ✭✭✭Christy42

"When you talk about the mental health problems, when people come back from war and combat, they see things that maybe a lot of the folks in this room have seen many times over,” he said.

“And you're strong and you can handle it, but a lot of people can't handle it.

"And they see horror stories, they see events that you couldn’t see in a movie — nobody would believe it."

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ct2yR4RUMAEEGqw.jpg

He goes on to describe them as great people. Read it all and let me know what you think.. I'm really interested in seeing if you're able to look at it objectively.

I have been ridiculed in this thread and have been called a Trump supporter because I hate the media coverage of this.. This is just another perfect example of fact vs. fiction and why I barely believe a negative word about him anymore until I fact-check it. Apparently, not believing that he said "veterans are weak" makes me a supporter.

He pretty clearly makes a distinction between the strong and the not strong. I mean sure you could argue it is bad wording but I figured that was impossible from the man who has all the best words and days it like it is.

You mention most of the stuff about him is overblown. Any examples (aside from the one under current discussion).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,763 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

That's spot on.

In an interview recently with a Republican*, a TV presenter talked about crime rates dropping. The response was that they weren't. The presenter wheeled out the stats and faced with those, the response was "I don't feel safer" and therefore Obama's success on fighting crime was deemed to be irrelevant by him.

http://www.vox.com/2016/7/25/12264838/john-oliver-trump-republican-convention-last-week-tonight

Skip to 3mins, 30 seconds..

*turns out to be no less than Newt Gingrich, esteemed Speaker of the House.

Samaris wrote: »

I love these two quotes when taken together. Thanks for the confirmation; I never was -quite- sure how serious you were being.
    Very serious.

Trump won't win because of policy, he is going to win because he will tell the American people what they want to hear and play on the desire that things could be great again.

Hillary is more of the same, bland boring politician only doing what she is told by powers higher up than her. Claims to support women and the rights of women and yet gets money from Saudi Arabia which hates women and all things liberty loving people like.

• Advertisement

everlast75 wrote: »

That's spot on.

In an interview recently with a Republican, a TV presenter talked about crime rates dropping. The response was that they weren't. The presenter wheeled out the stats and faced with those, the response was "I don't feel safer" and therefore Obama's success on fighting crime was deemed to be irrelevant by him.

http://www.vox.com/2016/7/25/12264838/john-oliver-trump-republican-convention-last-week-tonight

Skip to 3mins, 30 seconds..
    Trump said recently that the inner cities are more dangerous than places in Afghanistan, probably not exactly true but it doesn't really matter. Millions of people in America will feel that way and vote for him.

Trump said recently that the inner cities are more dangerous than places in Afghanistan, probably not exactly true but it doesn't really matter. Millions of people in America will feel that way and vote for him.

by "probably not exactly true" you presumably mean not true at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

In other words, when there wasn't the horrific sight of a black person sitting at the front of a bus.

In other words, when there wasn't the horrific sight of a black person sitting at the front of a bus.
    No.

by "probably not exactly true" you presumably mean not true at all?
    Its an exaggeration but the inner cities are horrible in America right now.

No.

Its an exaggeration but the inner cities are horrible in America right now.

that is one way of describing it.

Christy42 wrote: »
    He pretty clearly makes a distinction between the strong and the not strong. I mean sure you could argue it is bad wording but I figured that was impossible from the man who has all the best words and days it like it is.

You mention most of the stuff about him is overblown. Any examples (aside from the one under current discussion).

There really isn't much point in linking anything if you think he clearly and meant to make the distinction and call PTSD sufferers weak.

I'm tired and don't want to get frustrated for no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 IvanRakitic

Right can anyone tell me how much of a shot this guy has? Paddy Power price him at 5/2 which means he has about a 30% chance. Is this accurate and also what states would he need to win to become president? (Not betting on him, just using it as a gauge)

Let's hope emotion and folklore can put some food on the table so.

Some old guy on BBC radio the other day, a lifelong republican who was bemoaning the demise of politicians like Barry Goldwater. He mourned the fact that American conservatism was supposed to be the politics of pragmatism and rooted in reality but over the years had been hijacked first by the religious fruitcakes and now by Trump and his fantasies about walls. As Trump would say, "sad!"

Right can anyone tell me how much of a shot this guy has? Paddy Power price him at 5/2 which means he has about a 30% chance. Is this accurate and also what states would he need to win to become president? (Not betting on him, just using it as a gauge)

he needs to win Ohio and Florida. Good article here http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/26/swing-states-the-key-states-that-will-determine-whether-donald-t/

bookie odds aren't always a good guide. they reflect betting patterns as much as probability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/2016_elections_electoral_college_map.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement