Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Samaris wrote: »
    Not to mention that the final debate is the Fox one (although it'd be hilarious if Megyn Kelly moderated it, I suspect they will carefully get a straight white male so people can't complain that Trump was unfairly mederated by a black guy, a gay guy and a woman!)
    It's Chris Wallace, who is apparently a registered Democrat but obviously a 'FOX Democrat' - seen a lot as a 'company man' and I would suggest you youtube an interview he did with Bill Clinton a few years back. Very entertaining watching Clinton steamroll the sh*t out of him for 15 straight minutes. :pac:

That said, he did make a good deal of noise that the Republican primary debates were an absolute joke with zero substance.
    God, that's a cynical view of American politics. I deeply suspect it's fairly accurate though.
    If anything it's an understatement, and here's an example from just the last few days.

- Republicans pushed for a bill allowing 9/11 victims' families to sue Saudi Arabia. Not sure what world this is realistic in.
    - Obama vetoed it.
    - The Republicans were able to override the veto and still push it through.
    - As soon as it was put through, Republican speaker of the House Mitch McConnell came out saying how terrible a bill it was, and how Obama was to blame for not stopping it from happening.

Yes, you did just read that correctly... I sh*t you not - https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2016/09/30/the-unbearable-idiocy-of-congress/?utm_term=.b48f92a48d92
    http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2016-09-29/congress-signals-regret-after-overriding-veto-of-saudi-9-11-bill?utm_content=business&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&cmpid%3D=socialflow-twitter-business
    Both House Speaker Paul Ryan and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said that the measure could have unintended consequences — including the fact that it could leave U.S. soldiers open to retaliation by foreign governments. Before the vote, senior administration officials warned lawmakers of this exact problem — that weakening the concept of sovereign immunity could backfire if foreign countries tried to do the same for the U.S. Secretary of Defense Ash Carter sent House Armed Services Chairman Mac Thornberry of Texas a letter saying that could potentially expose Americans to lawsuits and “an intrusive discovery process” even if the U.S. is ultimately found not to be responsible for a particular event.

But Republicans said the White House didn’t make a forceful case, putting themselves in the awkward position of blaming the president for a bill they enacted into law over Obama’s veto.

Bazzo wrote: »
    I give it 12 hours before Brexit is mentioned 10 times and we get a couple one word posts reminding us that "It's going to be hilarious looking at all the lefty liberal loony SJWs when Trump destroys Hillary".
    And I give it about 35 days until we quite possibly get a seriously, seriously violent (in the literal and physical sense of the word) backlash against the election result, if it goes as the polls are currently showing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Nope, I got nothing. These people are meant to be intelligent adults leading their country, not a pack of five year olds.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Donald Trump wears Michael O'Leary pyjamas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I wouldn't rule anything out in November. Hillary could win bigly, Trump could be humiliated, or he could win comfortably.

There have been enough polls lately that didn't predict the final result to serve as a warning.

There is also the American public. What are they thinking. Hillary, experienced but arrogant. How likeable is she ? Trump, boorish but a familiar face. That face everywhere.

When the result comes then only we will know for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

ebbsy wrote: »
    When the result comes then only we will know for sure.

Unless the hanging chads come in to play!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,010 ✭✭✭Christy42

I wouldn't rule anything out in November. Hillary could win bigly, Trump could be humiliated, or he could win comfortably.

There have been enough polls lately that didn't predict the final result to serve as a warning.

There have? I can think of several occasions the experts got it wrong recently but not the polls.

I mean sure there will never be complete certainty but that is why the 538 reports the percentage chance of each candidate winning and not who will win.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Really? US Polling organisations don't tend to be too far off .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

Even after seeing Trump as racist, sexist and often clueless he still has a quality that brightens up the room. Like a guy you wouldn't mind having a drink and a laugh with but always mindful that this guy has serious issues.

But part of me would love to see him in a presidential role. Just because it would be more interesting.
    I want to see if he doesn't build that wall.
    I want to see how he reconciles the inevitable failure to live up to promises.
    And in fairness just to see if he might be in any way successful in making America great again. Who knows.
    It would just be a more interesting presidency (nuclear winter and all).

That's the big troll in me though bored with the status quo.

Dunno about having a pint with Trump. For one thing he doesn't drink at all, and for another I don't appreciate being spoken at for hours on end, especially when the only subject is the person doing the speaking telling you how they're the best at everything ever.

If he did win it and it became clear the wall wasn't viable, he would claim he never said he would built it. As in just flat out say anyone who told you that he said anything about building a wall is lying. I wonder if his supporters of the wall would go apesh*t, or get behind him and claim nobody ever mentioned any wall too? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

Billy86 wrote: »
    Dunno about having a pint with Trump. For one thing he doesn't drink at all, and for another I don't appreciate being spoken at for hours on end, especially when the only subject is the person doing the speaking telling you how they're the best at everything ever.

If he did win it and it became clear the wall wasn't viable, he would claim he never said he would built it. As in just flat out say anyone who told you that he said anything about building a wall is lying. I wonder if his supporters of the wall would go apesh*t, or get behind him and claim nobody ever mentioned any wall too? :p

It would be a natural ultimate iteration of the truthiness era. Political bull**** finally eating itself. Ah maybe it wouldn't be that interesting. It's not like the populace would stop watching the x factor and take notice anyway.

It would be a natural ultimate iteration of the truthiness era. Political bull**** finally eating itself. Ah maybe it wouldn't be that interesting. It's not like the populace would stop watching the x factor and take notice anyway.
    Riiiiiight up until the bombs drop. :D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Latest on trump he's saying the Central Park five were guilty despite DNA evidence clearing them. He called for them to be executed at the time.

For Trump fans trying to downplay his treatment of disabled people and promotion of violence - http://europe.newsweek.com/epileptogenic-pepe-video-507417?rm=eu

• Registered Users Posts: 19,763 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

latest one...

everlast75 wrote: »
    latest one...

I apologise if anyone was offended.
    The classic non apology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

He'll get more votes....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

SILVAMAN wrote: »
    He'll get more votes....

From which demographic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

From which demographic.

Good point, he's leading amongst "deplorables" by 100%. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Good point, he's leading amongst "deplorables" by 100%. :pac:

Yup he may get 200% of that group. I suppose they may vote twice!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

SILVAMAN wrote: »
    He'll get more votes....

Christ.... if that doesn't put the nail in the coffin for him nothing will.

Imagine if an establishment type like Jeb Bush had that released on him a month out from the election... It would be a national scandal and end his political career.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Even after seeing Trump as racist, sexist and often clueless he still has a quality that brightens up the room. Like a guy you wouldn't mind having a drink and a laugh with but always mindful that this guy has serious issues.

He has an immense amount of charisma thus why he has been all over tv over the last few decades before he announced he ran for President.

He also has a gift which many Politicians would adore, the ability to lie sincerely and the next day to contradict whatever he said without blinking. :p

Its a bombastic personality, basically a Ric Flair of his era e,g if X hates me then Y must love me.

Hilary is obviously the more sane choice, but charisma wise Trump much more than her.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Women love a bad boy or something - Trump supporters.

Seriously, there goes his hope of doing better with women (in the polls!)

The white male vote will have to win it for him.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Not a good evening for either candidate.

Wikileaks
    RELEASE: the first 2050 of well over 50000 emails from Clinton Campaign Chairman John Podesta.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I honestly dunno why he gets called charismatic so often. To me someone who is charistmatic is charming. Somebody who you can't help but think is likeable despite disagreeing with their ideologies/politics/whatever. Trump, whatever he is, is definitely not charming. Probably 50% of people can't ****ing stand seeing or listening to Trump regardless of what he's babbling on about at any given time, which is liable to be something racist, misogynistic or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Trump has a dead cat on his head, has a strange small mouth, speaks with a very curious syntax and wears very bad suits (or wears suits very badly). Charismatic is not a word I could ever associate with him.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

It really doesn't matter. The guy has not got one bit of positive press but yet his popularity keeps increasing.
    Why has he got so much support to gain the nomination???

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Bazzo wrote: »
    I honestly dunno why he gets called charismatic so often. To me someone who is charistmatic is charming. Somebody who you can't help but think is likeable despite disagreeing with their ideologies/politics/whatever. Trump, whatever he is, is definitely not charming. Probably 50% of people can't ****ing stand seeing or listening to Trump regardless of what he's babbling on about at any given time, which is liable to be something racist, misogynistic or whatever.

Charisma comes in all different shapes, basically in politics, its the ability to captivate many people and Trump despite been totally unqualified for the job has a shot at the most important job in the world and has survived scandals which would have floored so many other more qualified nominees over last few decades.

Look at how so many of his fans hang on every word, even if nearly all the time its complete bollocks. His self confidence in his delivery is unmatched,even though he has no issue with contradicting himself 50 more times in the same week, its cult of personality basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

KoolKid wrote: »
    It really doesn't matter. The guy has not got one bit of positive press but yet his popularity keeps increasing.
    If he becomes President the most famous line of his campaign will probably be "I could go down to 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose any voters"

• Advertisement

KoolKid wrote: »
    His popularity has been in complete free-fall since the morning after the first debate.

Virginia is usually seen as a 'toss up' state, but Clinton has a bigger lead there than Trump has in Texas. TEXAS!! He's also only got the tiniest lead (1 point) in Arizona, which has only gone Dem once since 1948 (Clinton 1996).

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/2016_elections_electoral_college_map.html

He was in major trouble beforehand, barring a miracle on Sunday this could be the end of the line.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement