Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,575 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It's all just fake outrage and confirmation bias.. Every male I know has said something like that at least once in the last ten years.

You seem to be circulating in some fairly sleezy circles then. I work on male dominated environments spend a good bit of time in factories and on building sites and honestly while some are colourful this type of demeaning talk is the reserve of only a few sick individuals I've met.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Right, I've tried before to find what he did with the Khan family to cause this sort of reaction but can't.. What exactly happened?

The bit where he insinuated that Ghazala Khan "wasn't allowed" speak at the Democratic convention? That was all over the news. The Republicans went into meltdown over it and, up to last night, it was as close as he's come to being abandoned enmasse by his own party.

In that interview, anyone else, anyone with a shred if compassion or human decency (or common sense) would have thanked the Khans for the sacrifice and left it at that. But not Trump. His ego couldn't take it so he slandered the mother of a dead soldier while his creepy little hit-man Roger Stone took to Twitter to spread vile and wholly untrue facts about her husband and her dead son.

It's only a few weeks ago. How are you not familiar with this?

Pity this video wasn't held back until closer to the Election Day- which begs the question, what else is to come?

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Just search google for "Trump and Khan comments"

I have, many times. And I have no idea what's going on with it.

I think you are being deliberately obtuse with "everyone talks about forcing themselves on women, how can anyone object to his clash with the Khans" angle.

If you think both are grand, fair enough, I won't convince you otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

The khans son was a marine corps captain who died in combat while protecting his own soldiers and who received a silver star (medal) for bravery.

Trump spent an entire week attacking them. In particular the mother. And it was a week when he should have been consolidating his support from the end of the RNC convention.

InTheTrees wrote: »
    The khans son was a marine corps captain who died in combat while protecting his own soldiers and who received a silver star (medal) for bravery.

Trump spent an entire week attacking them. In particular the mother. And it was a week when he should have been consolidating his support from the end of the RNC convention.

And he could have handled it so differently, mildly objected to their plight being used by political opponents and then concentrated on their loss, made light of the attack on him in contrast to the sacrifice their son made. It was an opportunity to reveal some shred of warmth and empathy. But no, he reacted with complete indifference to their suffering and lashed out on the dent to his ego, his suffering, trying to make himself the victim. It was GUBU stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

It's all just fake outrage and confirmation bias.. Every male I know has said something like that at least once in the last ten years.

I think that says more about the company you keep than anything else.

_Brian wrote: »
    You seem to be circulating in some fairly sleezy circles then. I work on male dominated environments spend a good bit of time in factories and on building sites and honestly while some are colourful this type of demeaning talk is the reserve of only a few sick individuals I've met.
    Fine, you're right. My entire circle of friends is made up of sick individuals because it doesn't go against my politics to admit that some of them make lewd comments.
    jooksavage wrote: »
    The bit where he insinuated that Ghazala Khan "wasn't allowed" speak at the Democratic convention? That was all over the news. The Republicans went into meltdown over it and, up to last night, it was as close as he's come to being abandoned enmasse by his own party.

In that interview, anyone else, anyone with a shred if compassion or human decency (or common sense) would have thanked the Khans for the sacrifice and left it at that. But not Trump. His ego couldn't take it so he slandered the mother of a dead soldier while his creepy little hit-man Roger Stone took to Twitter to spread vile and wholly untrue facts about her husband and her dead son.

It's only a few weeks ago. How are you not familiar with this?

Yeah, I'm just not seeing it. Clinton used Khan, who is connected to the foundation, to attack Trump on stage. She went went looking for a dead Muslim's soldier's parents to use them for political reasons.

I'm not an American.. I don't have unconditional respect for soldiers, alive or dead. He was doing a job and getting paid to kill people. His parents didn't sacrifice anything, unless we've changed the definition of the word "sacrifice". The dead soldier sacrificed his life for a monthly salary and that's about it.

His comments on whether or not she was allowed to speak are out of place and in bad taste but again, I just feel like it's all mock outrage.
    There are a lot of rules on how Muslim women should behave in public. They were up there because they're Muslim and she didn't say anything.
    What's the actual answer anyways? Was she allowed to? If not, didn't Trump highlight sexism?

The sacrifices part? If you get up in front of millions of people and out of nowhere, say I've never sacrificed anything in my life, without even knowing me, don't expect me to play nice. Has Khan sacrificed more than Trump? I don't see how.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Fine, you're right. My entire circle of friends is made up of sick individuals because it doesn't go against my politics to admit that some of them make lewd comments.

Yeah, I'm just not seeing it. Clinton used Khan, who is connected to the foundation, to attack Trump on stage. She went went looking for a dead Muslim's soldier's parents to use them for political reasons.

I'm not an American.. I don't have unconditional respect for soldiers, alive or dead. He was doing a job and getting paid to kill people. His parents didn't sacrifice anything, unless we've changed the definition of the word "sacrifice". The dead soldier sacrificed his life for a monthly salary and that's about it.

His comments on whether or not she was allowed to speak are out of place and in bad taste but again, I just feel like it's all mock outrage.
    There are a lot of rules on how Muslim women should behave in public. They were up there because they're Muslim and she didn't say anything.
    What's the actual answer anyways? Was she allowed to? If not, didn't Trump highlight sexism?

The sacrifices part? If you get up in front of millions of people and out of nowhere, say I've never sacrificed anything in my life, without even knowing me, don't expect me to play nice. Has Khan sacrificed more than Trump? I don't see how.
    You don't have to see how. You don't even have to accept that it was obnoxious behaviour from Trump.

It damaged him in the polls and in the eyes of many republicans. That you don't find it damaging is irrelevant (other than how it speaks to your character).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

That would make you, like Trump, unfit to hold office at any level and put you at odds with 99% of the Republican party, who like 'em or loathe 'em were almost unanimous in their condemnation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Not to mention the fact that he also was a married man. :rolleyes:

Married less than a year at the time I believe. Doubt Melania is too happy with 'The Donald'.

I'm genuinely concerned at the state of this election race. On one side you have a tax dodging perverted weirdo with no morals and on the other side you have a narcissistic wench who seems to be determined to go to war for profit at any opportunity and continues to poke the Russian bear. God knows where that could end up. Tensions are very frayed between them in Syria at the moment.

There are no winners here for the rest of the planet.

How boringly normal.

I ask what was so bad that people use words like vile, disgusting, sociopathic, depraved etc. and they either link to stories or resort to saying it was bad politics..

If you're going to use such words about a person, it would be good to have a personal reason for believing it. If not, it means you're saying it because you read it.

On the other hand, when I say that Clinton was vile and disgusting talking and joking about getting a child rapist off the hook, people explain at away by saying it was her job.
    When i say it wasn't her job to go on radio and actually be proud of it and laugh about it, I get ignored. It's amazing what political leanings do to rational thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,762 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Married less than a year at the time I believe. Doubt Melania is too happy with 'The Donald'.

I'm genuinely concerned at the state of this election race. On one side you have a tax dodging perverted weirdo with no morals and on the other side you have a narcissistic wench who seems to be determined to go to war for profit at any opportunity and continues to poke the Russian bear. God knows where that could end up. Tensions are very frayed between them in Syria at the moment.

There are no winners here for the rest of the planet.

It's definitely a case of the lesser of two evils.

Clinton is Nixon-esque, a politician through and through.

However, the alternative is an absolute lunatic.

If I were in the US I would vote for her, but definitely not again in 4 years' time

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Has Khan sacrificed more than Trump? I don't see how.

The Khan family lost a son in the military. Trump got written off military duty.

I'd say the Khan family have sacrificed more for the US than Trump has, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Dude, I work in tattoo parlours, some of them in red light districts, and I haven't heard **** like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Laddish pub shìte talk, hardly the most outrageous thing I've ever heard and his opponents will lay it on thick with the holier than thou condemnation. Couldn't happen to a nicer bloke though, F*ck him.

I'm not sure it's really laddish. I think it's got far more in common with pick up artist playbooks.

It's amazing what political leanings do to rational thought.

Oh absolutely, we agree on something. It most certainly can.

A few months back we were both heralding Trump.

You're sticking with your "political leanings", the Khan debacle was when I drew the line.

Trust me, your boy next door mr respectful nice guy can say the most boorish non-pc rubbish when with the lads

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

So 'grabbing women by the pussy' is just laddish?

Nice!

I'd tend to refer to it as something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Trump supporters trying to minimise this is comical.

Here's my favourite so far:

Bill Mitchell ‏@mitchellvii 9h9 hours ago
    Look at the Bible. An imperfect soul like Trump is EXACTLY the type of person God always uses to lead his people. The pious are the enemy.

Listen I don't have a presidential campaign riding on this so I can call it like I see it. It's crass and pathetic but lads often are.

Calina wrote: »
    The Khan family lost a son in the military. Trump got written off military duty.

I'd say the Khan family have sacrificed more for the US than Trump has, yes.

I just don't see how that means that the father can say he made a sacrifice and Trump has never made one. It doesn't make sense. If I die in a retarded war, that doesn't mean my parents deserve respect or that they made a sacrifice. If I don't die in a war, it means I or my parents have never made a sacrifice? Khan used terrible wording in his attack.. Deliberately terrible so as to cause a reaction.

And since when did everyone turn so American in their values and start thinking that getting out of service is a bad thing? It was the Vietnam war.. We respect the people who didn't fight, except if it's Trump?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Parachutes wrote: »
    Well, Hillary threatening to ruin the lives of Bubba Bill's mistresses should cost her votes... but the mainstream media miraculously gloss over the fact.

The man has had numerous wife's and owned the miss universe pageant. Is it any surprise he has made comments like these in private? people aren't voting for him due to his moral stature. This is the Clinton campaign 101, distract distract distract.

Well people warned about this, including many Republicans but people went ahead and voted for him anyway.

No point blaming others for stupid decisions, but then it's the Republicans and Trump in particular. Taking responsibility is harder than putting the blame on others.

George W. had a video about his drink driving from the 70's released just before the election. He accepted responsibility and didn't blame the media.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

It's a bit further than laddish. Certainly if we see a hot chick we'd say she's a cracker or whatever. That's about it. Would not go as far as talking about manhandling them for a kiss or grabbing their pussy and Trump thinks he has every right to do it because he is a celebrity.

These comments can't be fobbed off. The guy is running for the most important job in the world. I'd say a lot of women are disgusted and rightly so. I bet you there is more to come over the next few weeks and this is only the tip of the iceberg.

I just don't see how that means that the father can say he made a sacrifice and Trump has never made one. It doesn't make sense. If I die in a retarded war, that doesn't mean my parents deserve respect or that they made a sacrifice. If I don't die in a war, it means I or my parents have never made a sacrifice? Khan used terrible wording in his attack.. Deliberately terrible so as to cause a reaction.

And since when did everyone turn so American in their values and start thinking that getting out of service is a bad thing? It was the Vietnam war.. We respect the people who didn't fight, except if it's Trump?

It's very clear that your values and mine are not aligned. All people deserve respect and families who provide service to the country via the military and who lose family members to military service are very clearly making a sacrifice.

Arguing that someone whose service to the US has been billion dollar losses enabling him to avoid federal taxes for over 15 years who also avoided military service at a time when most young men could not is in the same league is a value call. You're very clearly biased in favour of Trump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Harvey Normal

That's it for trump unless he has something on Hilary. Although I think she could be photographed with Isis members head chopping and still win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Harvey Normal

K-9 wrote: »
    Well people warned about this, including many Republicans but people went ahead and voted for him anyway.

No point blaming others for stupid decisions, but then it's the Republicans and Trump in particular. Taking responsibility is harder than putting the blame on others.

George W. had a video about his drink driving from the 70's released just before the election. He accepted responsibility and didn't blame the media.

Remember the English sports commentator who said "I'd smash that". Very crude but on the very limits of locker room talk.

Saying that "I can grab their pussys because I am famous" is a statement of intent almost. It was a sober conversation with a stranger at 2pm. He's basically saying what he thinks he can do, so probably does.

• Advertisement

Paul Ryan revoking the invite is a strong rebuke. He surely has decided that any association with this car crash will damage his own ambitions in 2020. He must be tired of walking that fine line between being seen to betray his party's candidate while objecting to the grotesque.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement