Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Jaysis, the mention of McCain...I'd love to see a candidate with a fraction of his persona and his cv, there was something very engaging about him, a sort of maverick, if a bit of a loose cannon. But what he went through made him worthy of respect. He was always up against it though, and up against a candidate who was inspirational for very different reasons.

Hard to think his party has fallen from him to this circus.

Actually as an aside, while under torture to give up information in Korea, do you know the names he gave?

"I gave them the names of the Green Bay Packers' offensive line, and said they were members of my squadron. When asked to identify future targets, I simply recited the names of a number of North Vietnamese cities that had already been bombed."

:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

gosplan wrote: »
    I'm beginning to think there's a huge subtext of misogyny to all of this.

If Hillary was a man, this would never have been even close.
    Or one of her biggest selling points is her gender itself. That and her last name. She likely wouldn't even be on the ticket if she was a man called Rodham.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,638 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

With Trump having been in the public eye for many years but not having been in politics until now, I guess there's loads and loads of stuff that will be brought up between now and election time.

You wonder what the Democrats have in store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Wibbs wrote: »
    Or one of her biggest selling points is her gender itself. That and her last name. She likely wouldn't even be on the ticket if she was a man called Rodham.
    Ah, but if her name was Rodham, then Bill Clinton would never have been elected either (if we are to believe that she was the brains behind the operation...)

osarusan wrote: »
    With Trump having been in the public eye for many years but not having been in politics until now, I guess there's loads and loads of stuff that will be brought up between now and election time.

You wonder what the Democrats have in store.

Yeah, he was too arrogant in assuming his many skeletons would never be uncovered in the closet! Running for office is an invitation for everything you ever did or said in public to be scrutinized.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,010 ✭✭✭Christy42

Yes being female is a large advantage to getting on the ticket. This is why only a single woman has been close to the ticket for a major party.

Seriously how close do you think Trump or George W. would have gotten to their nominations if they were female? The answer if of course not within a million miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It's all just fake outrage and confirmation bias.. Every male I know has said something like that at least once in the last ten years.

All the men you know are all quite sick really.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

No man I know has said it

Same here. I don't know any man that ever said that stuff.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Too late for the Republicans to be crying now, they had 16 other candidates who were completely useless.

They also has loser McCain and Romney on the attack at the same time. Nobody listened to the two of them. Not for the first time either.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Its a right vs left thing. Obama had the muslim and birth cert accusations, Bill Clinton had impeachment calls continually during his presidency.

Hillary winning will do little as the right wing media will tear her down daily and government will grind to a halt as congress oppose her at every turn and 4 years from now we will be back to square one when she comes up for re-election.

It didn't matter who the democrats put up there as Murdoch and the Koch brothers will do everything in their power to make their life heel. The 15,000 email scandal and Benghazi is a smoke screen by the right, we know this because the Bush admin lost or deleted 22 million emails and 13 us embassies and consulates were attacked under their watch and there wasn't a huge media blitz on Fox news or talk radio over either
    The thing is though, the US doesn't really have a left wing - the Democrats are further to the right than just about any centre-left party in Europe, and many centrist parties too. In part that has to do with the Supreme Court having a Republican majority for the last 40-ish years, though that is something hugely important in this election and that makes this and 2020 arguably some of the most important elections the US has ever faced. The Supreme Court is currently split 4-4 since Republican Antonin Scalia passed away earlier this year, so the winner gets an automatic majority.

The Republican judges are currently 80, 68, 66, and 61 years of age.
    The Democratic judges are currently 83, 78, 62, and 56 years of age.

A Republican win means they keep their majority most likely for at least another automatic decade going by the ages of the two older Dems. A Democrat victory means they likely get an automatic majority for the same or even longer. My guess is if the Reps win, their 80 year old judge retires in the next 2-3 years knowing they will be replaced by another like them, and the same for the two older Democrat judges - though that's obviously guesswork and assumption. If it happens, this likely extends the automatic majority of each party by another decade or so again.

---

Also the problem with the the Republicans and Trump right now goes much, much deeper than just the Presidency, which is why they are sprinting away from him as quickly as possible after these latest comments. Elections for the House of Representatives occur on the same day as the presidential election, and if the Democrats can gain 32 seats over the Republicans based on the numbers right now, that would give them the majority.

---

Not only that, but in the Senate there is another set of elections on the same day as the Presidential and House of Representatives, with 34 of the 100 seats up for grabs. As things stand, the Republicans have 54 seats, the Dems 44, and 2 independents both of whom identify considerably stronger with the Democrats (Bernie Sanders, Angus King). This means (assuming King & Sanders remain) that if the Democrats make a gain of just 7 seats, they gain an outright majority in the Senate, though a swing of even just 5 would more or less give them an 'effective' majority. If Clinton wins the election, you could almost lower that by one more again, as the Vice President is by default made President of the Senate, which gives the the deciding vote in the event of any ties.

---

This is why the Republicans, even in this which is possibly the most hyper partisan era in the history of modern (US, at least) politics are doing an absolute panic cut-and-run from their Presidential candidate in a manner I don't ever recall seeing before. The way this is going, they are in very, very real and serious danger of having a Democratic President, a Democratic majority in the House of Reps, a Democratic majority in the Senate, and upwards of a decade of a Democratic majority in the Supreme Court.

I took a check and it appears that the last time one party held all three branches of the government (Presidency, House of Representatives, Senate) and the Supreme Court at the same time was 1929. No telling how it will go at this point in the Senate/House of Reps, but the Democrats are extremely close to having levels of power almost never before seen in the history of the USA.

That is why the Republican Party has gone into all-out panic mode and dumped Trump like the steaming turd that he is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

No. Her career in politics of replicated by a guy, regardless of surname, would have them standing for nomination.

ebbsy wrote: »
    Too late for the Republicans to be crying now, they had 16 other candidates who were completely useless.

They also has loser McCain and Romney on the attack at the same time. Nobody listened to the two of them. Not for the first time either.
    Don't be so sure about that - polls show Trump only 1pt ahead of Clinton in Arizona, and the 99% accurate 538 before this broke only had him with a 0.3% advantage over her. McCain in Arizona is basically what the Healy-Raes are in Kerry, and probably to a far greater extent. I'd be pretty certain that's all but killed Trump's chances of those 11 EC votes.

Arizona has gone Democratic once since 1948, and that was for the other Clinton in 1996 when he absolutely trounced a weak and uninspiring candidate (Bob Dole) in a perfect storm of timing for re-election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

To be fair, most guys would have said similar things in jest at some point in their lives - as in, not meant for the briefest moment to be taken seriously or literally, and it's not any indiciation of their opinions nor treatment of women.

Context is everything. Not for a moment defending Donald Trump, but it's hard to tell from an isolated comment if he was just joking around or was speaking candidly.

To be fair, most guys would have said similar things in jest at some point in their lives - as in, not meant for the briefest moment to be taken seriously or literally, and it's not any indiciation of their opinions nor treatment of women.

Context is everything. Not for a moment defending Donald Trump, but it's hard to tell from an isolated comment if he was just joking around or was speaking candidly.

No they haven't: source - I am a guy and know lots of guys.

Billy86 wrote: »
    This is the type of person in the US that I worry will go on a shooting spree when Trump loses. The disconnection from the reality of the situation among this hardcore element of Trump worshippers is nothing short of amazing, and when reality hits on Nov 9th they won't accept I t in my opinion

Trump has already riled them up saying the election will be fixed and asking them to monitor black voters.

There's so much hatred in this campaign it wouldnt surprise me if the result is mass rioting because he lost

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 14,180 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I don't think so, I look forward to his concession speech actually. He is going to lose, and lose big, so should make for some popcorn at the ready moments.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,180 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

those who have been claiming Trump is a Clinton plant have had very little to prove them wrong in this campaign either :) Someone like him and how he has portrayed himself is pretty much the only way they could have got Hilary elected.

The Republican Party need to take a lot of the blame here, it was an easy election for them and they ****ed it up.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 314 ✭✭Dr Jakub

Lol no.

This. He made the type of crude remarks every man has made at some stage and is now a monster apparently. Meanwhile Hillary called for Assange to be murdered by a drone strike but that's no big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Christy42 wrote: »
    No they haven't: source - I am a guy and know lots of guys.

Exactly. Theres a big difference between seeing a stunner and saying youd like to bend her over a table and...

And saying

I like to kiss them without asking even grab them by the pussy, they wont do anything because im a celebrity

Trump has already riled them up saying the election will be fixed and asking them to monitor black voters.

There's so much hatred in this campaign it wouldnt surprise me if the result is mass rioting because he lost

Which makes you wonder what the result would be in the (admittedly quite unlikely) event of the Republicans losing the Presidency, Senate, House of Representatives and Supreme Court in the space of 24 hours.

There are 24 Republican Senate seats up for re-election compared to only 10 Dems, and a 7 seat swing would give it to the Dems (though if Clinton wins and due to Sanders/King, 4 seats would be an *effective* majority).

Apparently every seat in the House is up for re-election. The gerrymandering favours the Republicans, but with the Presidential election seeing states like Georgia, Iowa, Arizona and possibly (though not likely) even Texas coming up for grabs, as well as most traditional Presidential battleground states leaning very heavily towards Clinton and the Dems, it's hard to say.

The big, big worry for the Republicans has to be disillusioned voters just staying at home, rather than going out and voting for Clinton/Johnson/nobody in the Presidential, along with their local Republican candidates in the House & Senate. I do doubt it will happen, but that would effectively give Clinton free reign to do whatever she pleases during her first few years in office - and the alti-right would only have themselves to thank for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Its a right vs left thing. Obama had the muslim and birth cert accusations, Bill Clinton had impeachment calls continually during his presidency.
    In fairness Bush had crazy theories that he orchestrated 9-11 or let it happen, we even had people claiming he was illiterate.

Calibos wrote: »
    Exactly. Theres a big difference between seeing a stunner and saying youd like to bend her over a table and...

And saying

I like to kiss them without asking even grab them by the pussy, they wont do anything because im a celebrity
    I think even those defending The_Donald know this - there's a reason why no big deal has been made of the "WOW! Your woman in purple is looking HOT!" comments and such that were also on the video.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 314 ✭✭Dr Jakub

That is not consent. Seriously the last few pages have opened my eyes. I did not know the views expressed by Donald Trump were seen as ok by so many men. I really thought it was a tiny minority of scumbags but the number of people excusing his words in this thread has me worried how many people are scumbags just beneath the surface.

You sound like you've lived a pretty sheltered life. And I'm sure the men you know have made these type of comments, just not around you as you sound like the Captain Buzzkill type.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 Side Gate

How did it come to this for America? The two worst candidates in the history of that country running against each other. Seriously how far have they fallen if this is the best America can produce. I think Jeff Daniels speech in The Newsroom summed up why America isnt the greatest country in the world anymore just perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,803 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Let's see what Trump actually said:

Trump: Yeah, that’s her, with the gold. I’ve got to use some Tic Tacs, just in case I start kissing her. You know I’m automatically attracted to beautiful — I just start kissing them. It’s like a magnet. I just kiss. I don’t even wait. And when you’re a star, they let you do it. You can do anything.

Unidentified voice: Whatever you want.

Trump: Grab them by the pussy. You can do anything.

Sorry, but anyone defending this or saying "Oh well all guys talk like that" are c*nts.

And if you're offended by me calling you a c*nt, don't worry. Just banter, isn't it? Locker room talk, yeah? Yeah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

That is not consent. Seriously the last few pages have opened my eyes. I did not know the views expressed by Donald Trump were seen as ok by so many men. I really thought it was a tiny minority of scumbags but the number of people excusing his words in this thread has me worried how many people are scumbags just beneath the surface.

Tbh I find it more shocking that it took these particular comments made about women to cause people to turn against him. He's been making lewd and offensive comments about Latino women, immigrants, black people, fat women .. plenty of his supporters don't give a ****. Now with these particular views he has expressed, everybody finally turns against him. Why did they not care before.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Just read that a judge has ordered that a hearing in a lawsuit accusing Trump of underage rape goes ahead

http://fusion.net/story/355598/judge-hearing-trump-underage-rape/

Wonder how the trumplerinas will spin this? Sure having sex with kids is just something you do when you're a celebrity billionaire, right?

Dr Jakub wrote: »
    You sound like you've lived a pretty sheltered life. And I'm sure the men you know have made these type of comments, just not around you as you sound like the Captain Buzzkill type.

I don't make jokes about raping women and their for I am the Captain Buzz kill type?!?

Please tell.me.how I have lived a sheltered life though based off the fact my friends aren't scumbags?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Just read that a judge has ordered that a hearing in a lawsuit accusing Trump of underage rape goes ahead

http://fusion.net/story/355598/judge-hearing-trump-underage-rape/

Wonder how the trumplerinas will spin this? Sure having sex with kids is just something you do when you're a celebrity billionaire, right?

Don't know how much airtime it will get, given Bill's ties to Epstein.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Donald Trump = Alpha Male.

...accoring to Nigel Farage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement