Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Just woke up and apparently he absolutely smashed her. I will have to watch some of the highlights. Unbelievable performance by many accounts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 Side Gate

Trump won it without a doubt. Say's a lot about Clinton she couldnt dominate that debate given the few days Trump has had. Two brutal candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

When did after hours turn into r/politics? Fcukin hell.. Trump won that hands down and if you think she did your deluded.

Side Gate wrote: »
    Trump won it without a doubt. Say's a lot about Clinton she couldnt dominate that debate given the few days Trump has had. Two brutal candidates.

How did she not win? lol, the guy had a bloody disaster week and hammered her in a national debate. That is unforgivable on her part. Watching some clips now.

• Advertisement

How did she not win? lol, the guy had a bloody disaster week and hammered her in a national debate. That is unforgivable on her part. Watching some clips now.

How did he not win?

How did he not win?
    Trump did win the debate. Hillary should have won.

Trump did win the debate. Hillary should have won.

Maybe she'd win if she answered a question every now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,517 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Opportunity missed by Clinton.

She'll still win but could have buried him after his shocking few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

I thought she was too mute. She did not land any knock out blows and it seems to me like an opportunity missed.
    No knockout blow, but he needed to do a lot more to get momentum back in his campain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Maybe its smart. Trump clearly appealed to his hardcore conservative base tonight and won there. Had she killed him the gop most likely would have dumped him tomorrow or cut funding etc, now that won't happen and she simply bides her time for the next four weeks until she crosses the finish line

Aside from gop voters I am not sure how many undecideds trump gained tonight. The first half of this debate consisted of him dodging questions and mud slinging and people want to hear policies.

Social media btw is not a good place to go to determine who won or lost these kind of things as astro-turfing is rife on there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Opportunity missed by Clinton.

She'll still win but could have buried him after his shocking few days.

Trump out is far more dangerous than a weakened Trump in the race.

While his supporters will love the photo op before the debate, the undecided may after a few days see it as a stunt where a man used to getting his way with women does it again.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Maybe its smart. Trump clearly appealed to his hardcore conservative base tonight and won there. Had she killed him the gop most likely would have dumped him tomorrow or cut funding etc, now that won't happen and she simply bides her time for the next four weeks until she crosses the finish line

Aside from gop voters I am not sure how many undecideds trump gained tonight. The first half of this debate consisted of him dodging questions and mud slinging and people want to hear policies.

Social media btw is not a good place to go to determine who won or lost these kind of things as astro-turfing is rife on there

I haven't seen the debate yet but if that's the ridiculous logic Hillary fans are using, she must have had an awful time at it.

"She was smart to lose the debate."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I didn't see it but the press seems to all suggest that she won?

Clinton wins debate, but Trump exceeds expectations - CNN
    https://apple.news/AqSAE4XDWT7q6JgZj_Qe1MA

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Well she will certainly think twice before releasing any more secret tapes of the Don.

I haven't seen the debate yet but if that's the ridiculous logic Hillary fans are using, she must have had an awful time at it.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/us/us-presidential-debate-who-won-was-it-any-good-were-there-any-surprises-1.2823528

4 call it for Hilary 1 draw 2 for trump, no one said she threw the debate but it would be a bad tactic to destroy trump in the debate, also to go after him for the comments could be seen as kicking a guy when he is down.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

She was smart to stay out of the gutter.

First Up wrote: »
    She was smart to stay out of the gutter.

Very smart, just like the last debate, it will be a few days before a clear view comes out. Remember the last debate in first few hours social media was full of people saying he won, took a bit of time for the reality to come home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

If we base the result on mud slinging Trump won.

On policies nobody won.

In no way can that be called a debate was more WWE bull crap than anything else.

Whatcha gonna do when Trumpomania runs wild on you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do have a hypothesis though. Trump to release his taxes a couple of days before the election. Thereby neutralising Clintons position and grabbing the undecided vote. Will be a slate wiper if done right.

Sparks43 wrote: »
    If we base the result on mud slinging Trump won.

On policies nobody won.

In no way can that be called a debate was more WWE bull crap than anything else.

Whatcha gonna do when Trumpomania runs wild on you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do have a hypothesis though. Trump to release his taxes a couple of days before the election. Thereby neutralising Clintons position and grabbing the undecided vote. Will be a slate wiper if done right.

A few days before election could be too late, as people have started voting already and closer we get to poling day the more that will have voted. In 2012 1/3 of voters cast an early ballot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

By the standards set to him of "don't actually explode or set your own hair on fire", he defeated ..well..himself. A lot of people expected him to lose his rag and while he stumbled a few times, he didn't, so yep, that's a win for Trump.

In terms of actual presidential debates as opposed to "Will little Jimmy have a tantrum if he can't remember his lines in the Nativity Play", well, it's too early to call. It's a bit daft to call it a clear win for either of them until the polls have time to reflect what the voters think of it. But here's what the general media has to say about it;

Thought Clinton did better/Trump did poorly:
    The Washington Post
    The LA Times (I was rather surprised by that one too)
    The New York Times
    The Boston Globe
    USA Today
    The Atlantic
    Huffington Post (yeah, not exactly a surprise!)
    Vox (probably see above)

Thought it was a general carcrash that made everyone look bad:
    Wall Street Journal
    Politico
    Washington Post (grudgingly opined that "if it was a draw, then Clinton won")

Thought Trump did better
    The Drudge Report (well, said he landed more punches)

Not Calling It:
    Telegraph (UK, so pretty irrelevant)
    The CarCrash ones

Early Polls (bear in mind that the earlier they are, the more of guidelines they are, they are unlikely to be rigorous or scientifically accurate)

CNN - 57C - 34T

YouGov - 47C - 42T
    - Undecideds: 44C-42T
    - Men - 43C-46T
    - Women - 53C-38C
    - Registered Voters - 57C - 31T (on the question "more presidential")

Fox2 - 46C - 53T
    NJ.com - 35C - 60T

Nigal Farage reckons he won though! "Like a silverback gorilla". I...think this is supposed to be a compliment.

So, at this stage, it's really too early to call, and anyone telling you that X or Y won unequivocally is telling you what they want to be the truth. We don't have the answer yet and won't for about another week when the polling can reflect the debate.

This election is a circus.

This election is a circus.

Yep. If anything has absolutely and unequivocally LOST this election, it's the American people and that poor abused concept called the truth. Oh, and civility, common sense and rationality.

Unsure it really matters who "wins" once all of those are out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

A few days before election could be too late, as people have started voting already and closer we get to poling day the more that will have voted. In 2012 1/3 of voters cast an early ballot.

Wow didn't realise it was that high.

That's my hypothesis blown out of the water so ;)

Had expected it to be around the 10% mark which would have left room for that trick.

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Wow didn't realise it was that high.

That's my hypothesis blown out of the water so ;)

Had expected it to be around the 10% mark which would have left room for that trick.

http://www.vox.com/2016/9/23/12989254/election-day-early-voting-explained

I was surprised as well and even more surprised that people have started casting ballots about 3 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,010 ✭✭✭Christy42

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

May I remind you that there is a case against Trump going through the system for raping a 13 year old?

Also fantasised? He bragged about it ffs.

Oh, and winner of the debate? A random guy called Carl Becker in the audience who, for the last question of the night, asked them to say something they admired in the other :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

When the first question from the audience was about child beauty pageants, you can't be surprised when there is no actual policy driven debate. I mean, what kind of a ****ing mongoloid asks that in such a pivotal presidential debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Samaris wrote: »
    Oh, and winner of the debate? A random guy called Carl Becker in the audience who, for the last question of the night, asked them to say something they admired in the other :D

He was so nervous asking it too. But it was a great question that neither was expecting.
    I thought both answered it well too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

The way I see it is she is a thoroughly bad person who has the practice, education, and cleverness to make herself look good, and he is a bad person who is too gauche, insular and unfamiliar with politics to make himself look good. It is a choice between dangerous and dreadful.

I would prefer that Trump wins because Clinton will foster more war in the world. She is warmongering and corrupt to the marrow, and no amount of mumsy platitudes can hide that. He will be..and is...an ignorant oaf, but I detect some humanity in him that may bode better regarding prospects for peace in the world.
    Trump is typical of so many wealthy macho idiots in his approach to women, as recently uncovered. These men can be deterred. Women have been shrugging off such guys since time immemorial. Bill Clinton on the other hand has actual form, breaching public ethics profoundly by seducing an intern. He has been enabled by his wife to abuse women - rape them, allegedly - and she has defended rapists in court. In terms of the misogynistic angle she does not have a leg to stand on. I have no respect for her brand of female empowerment and I say that as a woman.

It is likely that Trump will usher in chaos, but at least it will be transparent chaos, not like the insidious machinations the Clinton faction uses to foster a more acceptable, 'civilised' brand of chaos.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement