Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,787 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Trump is telling his supporters to vote on the 28th.

I'm sure the (((mms))) will say otherwise in an attempt to rig the election for $hillary killton

I'm sure it was just a bad microphone. He's having awful trouble with microphones. On stage, during debates, on a bus with Billy Bush... Good thing when he's President he'll never have to be in front of a microphone ever again

*sniff*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Nah its because the Trump University fraud trial opens on the 28th.

It's probably preying on his mind a little...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭nomadchocolate

Don't know how anyone can be so dismissive of the e-mail leaks. Trump made a good point (a caveat to me saying that Trump made a good point is not a form of support or endorsement of him) that how have the Clinton's made so much money from serving in public office?

Hillary is corrupt. Trump is anti-intellectual and not a politician.

How has America stooped to this? Both are intolerable choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,447 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Don't know how anyone can be so dismissive of the e-mail leaks. Trump made a good point (a caveat to me saying that Trump made a good point is not a form of support or endorsement of him) that how have the Clinton's made so much money from serving in public office?

not to support hilary at all but when you can get $200,000 for giving a speech then i can see how making millions is possible.

Bill hasn't been in public office for over 15 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Instead of ranting, why not google the answer?
    Related: Here's how much Hillary Clinton's tax plan would hit the rich
    The Clintons primarily made their money in two ways: speaking and writing.
    Together they made $6.7 million in speaking fees. That's well below the roughly $20 million they made the year before.
    They also made close to $3.1 million on their various books.
    And Bill Clinton's consulting business brought in nearly $1.7 million.
    The couple also received $226,000 in pension and annuities. As a former U.S. president, Bill Clinton is entitled to receive a pension north of $200,000 a year.
    They made another $109,000 in interest and dividends, and claimed $3,000 in capital losses carried over from prior years.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/08/12/pf/taxes/hillary-clinton-tax-return/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Trump made a good point (a caveat to me saying that Trump made a good point is not a form of support or endorsement of him) that how have the Clinton's made so much money from serving in public office?

Trump is a moron. Why doesnt he release his tax returns? The clintons have released decades of tax returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

everlast75 wrote: »
    Its brilliant to see Fox News finally saying there is something wrong with Putin. For the last 4 years plus they have been championing him as a leader and not just Hannity, all of them, O'Reilly included. The one good thing about Trump is he has made Fox eat their own shítty words!

Pence is a right-wing Christian, lest anyone think that he's a sane choice. He's just sane by comparison to oul Donnie boy.

(BTW - Paul Ryan uninvited Trump to one of Trump's own rallies, and invited Pence instead on the weekend just gone)

Trump should be Fox News and Republican talk radio's ideal candidate, so it shows the amount of bull**** they've spewed down through the years.

Glen Beck's position on this election is telling in that regard.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭nomadchocolate

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Trump is a moron. Why doesnt he release his tax returns? The clintons have released decades of tax returns.

I wasn't denying that he is not a moron.

An easy throwback to you is why doesn't Hilary release her paid speeches transcripts?

Sam Harris has a brilliant decimation of the Trump character. Think it is floating around on youtube. The gist of it is that he is destructive, anti-intellectual and his thoughts and brain float around like a balloon.

Neither candidate are great but it has to be Clinton

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

To be frank, I wish Hillary dropped out after her collapse four-and-a-half weeks ago. At least Trump and his fanboys can't drag up Benghazi, the 33k emails and of course the allegations against Bill after that tape leaked last week.

To be fair to Trump, calling what he said "locker room talk" is a decent bit of damage control, in that it normalises what he said, as we've seen from his fanboys in the last few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,447 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

To be frank, I wish Hillary dropped out after her collapse four-and-a-half weeks ago. At least Trump and his fanboys can't drag up Benghazi, the 33k emails and of course the allegations against Bill after that tape leaked last week.

To be fair to Trump, calling what he said "locker room talk" is a decent bit of damage control, in that it normalises what he said, as we've seen from his fanboys in the last few days.

it may have normalised it for his fanboys but not many other people seem to be convinced.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Trump is telling his supporters to vote on the 28th.

I'm sure the (((mms))) will say otherwise in an attempt to rig the election for $hillary killton
    Stay classy.

For anyone who missed that particular piece of nastiness;
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_parentheses

or am I misreading the sarcasm?? Poe's law perhaps

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Stay classy.

For anyone who missed that particular piece of nastiness;
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_parentheses

Also what is mms? main media stream??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Stuff like that should never be "normalised". He's a blithering idiot that shouldn't be anywhere near a Presidential race. Clay Davis from The Wire would be a better candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Patser

I know it's Cracked, and nominally a comedy site, but this article gives a good insight into why so many are backing Trump.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-reasons-trumps-rise-that-no-one-talks-about/

Basically it's saying it's a lash out at City-based elites that don't really understand or listen to vast country areas of America where their way of life is genuinely disappearing but where they've no-one voicing their concerns, and instead are mocked in a simplistic way about their strong religious beliefs. So if someone - even as poor as Trump - comes along and starts mocking the elite and promising to listen to them, it's a case of any lifeboat in a storm.

I'll admit to it myself, of stereotyping Republican voters in my head as religious, right wing nuts but if you don't try and understand the reasons why someone like a Trump can get so many votes, well next time the problem might get bigger with a more media friendly Trump-a-like getting in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Stuff like that should never be "normalised". He's a blithering idiot that shouldn't be anywhere near a Presidential race. Clay Davis from The Wire would be a better candidate.

I wasn't saying it should be normalised, I meant that it was an effort by Trump to depict bragging about grabbing women by the crotch as normal male behaviour - which his base has lapped up as if it were Mountain Dew.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,941 ✭✭✭✭briany

Patser wrote: »
    I know it's Cracked, and nominally a comedy site, but this article gives a good insight into why so many are backing Trump.

Basically it's saying it's a lash out at City-based elites that don't really understand or listen to vast country areas of America where their way of life is genuinely disappearing but where they've no-one voicing their concerns, and instead are mocked in a simplistic way about their strong religious beliefs. So if someone - even as poor as Trump - comes along and starts mocking the elite and promising to listen to them, it's a case of any lifeboat in a storm.

I'll admit to it myself, of stereotyping Republican voters in my head as religious, right wing nuts but if you don't try and understand the reasons why someone like a Trump can get so many votes, well next time the problem might get bigger with a more media friendly Trump-a-like getting in.

Seems to me that what we're talking about is a group of people who are desperate and so are turning to an extreme political figure, and that's not an unheard of thing throughout history.

In one sense it is a lifeboat, in that they can use Trump to hold their party's feet to the fire. The protest candidate. On the other hand, if they really think life under Trump could get better, it's like jumping into a lifeboat with a massive hole in it. The hole being where all his policies and human compassion would normally go.

Patser wrote: »

I think that's the general idea with his approach alright.

If it's a close vote and he loses, then he's only himself to blame with "that video"- but it will show that if someone's good with the media and can say all the right things that resonate with certain voters without necessarily coming from a political background, then they may well be a future US President.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Patser

briany wrote: »
    Seems to me that what we're talking about is a group of people who are desperate and so are turning to an extreme political figure, and that's not an unheard of thing throughout history.

In one sense it is a lifeboat, in that they can use Trump to hold their party's feet to the fire. The protest candidate. On the other hand, if they really think life under Trump could get better, it's like jumping into a lifeboat with a massive hole in it. The hole being where all his policies and human compassion would normally go.

Pretty much. It's partially a desperate backlash, just wanting someone to listen to them. And also when you're drowning any lifeboat will do, even a leaky, shifty one like Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

briany wrote:

But it must be remembered that both parties' candidates were selected by the members of those parties. So if Trump represents a protest vote, then the Republican Party is protesting against itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I think that's the general idea with his approach alright.

If it's a close vote and he loses, then he's only himself to blame with "that video"- but it will show that if someone's good with the media and can say all the right things that resonate with certain voters without necessarily coming from a political background, then they may well be a future US President.

This is already clear - for me the primary risk with Trump is who comes after. Who learns from the misteps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

I can't stand Trump i think hes a racist lying scum bag. But i actually do believe hes foreign knowledge is good. Its clear as day Obama allowed Isis to be bigger and bigger and did virtually nothing to stop them it till they where only a 40 miles outside Baghdad. So Trump is half right Obama weakness lead to to Isis.

And Clinton flippant approach to Syria and arming rebels and her hatred for Assad and Russia is only going to lead to a serious war that will affect us all. Obama is a weak leader and will not cross red lines because he knows how dangerous that is. Hilary on the otherhand is a warmonger and neocon battleaxe she even said she would allow America Special Forces to carry out missions inside Syria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Its best two people America got. Sad state of affairs- 350-60 million people and these two are the choices?

Trump is the worst kind of human being. He would sit next to the devil if there was a hell. In saying that even Trump crazy and horrible people as he is can be sensible at times.

Clinton is just a corrupt politician. She and Bill are the real house of cards couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,227 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Its best two people America got. Sad state of affairs- 350-60 million people and these two are the choices?

Trump is the worst kind of human being. He would sit next to the devil if there was a hell. In saying that even Trump crazy and horrible people as he is can be sensible at times.

Clinton is just a corrupt politician. She and Bill are the real house of cards couple.

People keep saying that she's corrupt. The best examples that are offered are Benghazi and her emails. She's been found not to be responsible for Benghazi by republicans.
    As a nerd I have to say that I was surprised when I found that she was using a personal server. I thought that was dumb. But then again every other secretary of state has done the same.

She might not be perfect but she's far better than not just Trump but nearly every other politician out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,227 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I can't stand Trump i think hes a racist lying scum bag. But i actually do believe hes foreign knowledge is good. Its clear as day Obama allowed Isis to be bigger and bigger and did virtually nothing to stop them it till they where only a 40 miles outside Baghdad. So Trump is half right Obama weakness lead to to Isis.

And Clinton flippant approach to Syria and arming rebels and her hatred for Assad and Russia is only going to lead to a serious war that will affect us all. Obama is a weak leader and will not cross red lines because he knows how dangerous that is. Hilary on the otherhand is a warmonger and neocon battleaxe she even said she would allow America Special Forces to carry out missions inside Syria.

I don't think you know who the neocon's are.

Calina wrote: »
    This is already clear - for me the primary risk with Trump is who comes after. Who learns from the misteps?

Well, I'm going to eat my words. The race isn't over yet- looks like Putin want's Trump to win- does this offset Tapes/Ethnic comments etc? If this story is blasted all over tabloids in the US, then the fear factor is well back on the table.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3833941/Russia-orders-officials-fly-home-relatives-living-abroad-tensions-mount-prospect-global-war.html

Russia is ordering all of its officials to fly home any relatives living abroad amid heightened tensions over the prospect of global war, it has been claimed.
    Politicians and high-ranking figures are said to have received a warning from president Vladimir Putin to bring their loved-ones home to the 'Motherland', according to local media.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,010 ✭✭✭Christy42

I can't stand Trump i think hes a racist lying scum bag. But i actually do believe hes foreign knowledge is good.

Do you believe Hillary has been fighting ISIS her entire adult life?

He doubled down on Hillary and Obama cofounding ISIS. No in a sort of way or anything. He was given a chance to clarify his exact meaning and doubled down.

His foreign policy is to let Russia do whatever it wants and to shout ISIS a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

you must have a different dictionary to the rest of us

No I'm fairly certain that professing one thing in public but applying different standards in your private life is a fairly universal definition of hypocrisy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

No I'm fairly certain that professing one thing in public but applying different standards in your private life is a fairly universal definition of hypocrisy.

Wonder what the Donald's private view on abortion is as he is on record pro life and pro choice!

• Advertisement

His foreign knowledge is so good he didn't even feel the need to agree a stance on the #1 foreign policy issue of the time with his VP.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement