Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

its funny seeing few trump supporters,but can any off those can give at least a single policy he said to be backed up by proper explanation how he will accomplish anything without sounding to idiotic.

watching him speak every time its sorta of crap like watching kardashians.

Every claim is either youll see,well make them,and rest is scaremongering ,how US isnt great anymore and few numbers that someone hands over to flute around.

god cant imagine that face for someone to see 4 years on daily basis and crap that comes out of it.

At least Obama would seemed always natural,not on hype or flashy type,sense of humor - trump is like spoiled blonde attention seeker. i got mooney !!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

I don't support Trump, but for anyone who's paying intention it's clear that he's incredibly intelligent, and understands what's involved in winning a nomination and a general election better than nearly anyone else. Him to win the presidency is my biggest ever bet.
    scamalert wrote: »
    its funny seeing few trump supporters,but can any off those can give at least a single policy he said to be backed up by proper explanation how he will accomplish anything without sounding to idiotic.

People aren't supporting him because of policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I just know he'll be progressive on global warming if he does get in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

LorMal wrote: »
    Okay - you want me to accept that Trump is likely to start the Fourth Reich. He is never going to find lederhosen to fit.
    You know full well that my posts didn't say that - I've said every time that we don't know what Trump stands for - and that's what makes him dangerous.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

mariaalice wrote: »
    I don't see him as a fascist nor is he a conservative, I don't think he has any real political ideology himself except for a mixture of xenophobia and spite.
    He's a Mé Feiner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Trump knows how to please supporters and engage with dissatisfied electorate

He knows nothing about statesmanship

He's the ultimate populist that is using the GOP as a Trojan horse. If he wins he will simultaneously implode the republican and democratic parties. Not a bad feat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Obama speaking the truth about Trump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

You know full well that my posts didn't say that - I've said every time that we don't know what Trump stands for - and that's what makes him dangerous.

Dangerous like Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, Mao.....or maybe just another American President. Reality is so much more prosaic than fantasy.

Dangerous like Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, Mao.....or maybe just another American President. Reality is so much more prosaic than fantasy.

Comparisons of Trump with historical dictators is lazy anyway , American presidents exist with a clearly defined constitution that's has very good checks and balances

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 Belder

Chicken Trump pulled out of a debate with Bernie.

• Advertisement

Belder wrote: »
    Chicken Trump pulled out of a debate with Bernie.

why debate with a person that is not going to be a candidate

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭cml387

I don't support Trump, but for anyone who's paying intention it's clear that he's incredibly intelligent, and understands what's involved in winning a nomination and a general election better than nearly anyone else. Him to win the presidency is my biggest ever bet.

If Hilary runs as pathetic campaign as she did in the primaries, Trump will win.

So I expect Trump will win.

Remember the Chinese curse...may you live in interesting times.

Paddy Power's odds are gradually showing trump as more and more likely. I feel like it would be a good bet at 13/8. He was at 2/1 a couple of days ago. Going with the polling and trends, I think he's closer to evens.

And a bit on on Sanders at 20/1 in case the fbi recommends that Hillary be indicted.

It looks like the IT guy for the email server had zero clearance but access to everything.. And I read that she gave all of the emails on a USB to a lawyer with no clearance.
    Also, she didn't turn over emails where talk of attempted hacks were discussed.. She was obliged to 1. turn them over 2. report any hacking sort of stuff. She said she only deleted personal emails.

Maybe I'm on reddit too much but I'm fully expecting an indictment. Which will put either Sanders or Biden against Trump.. And make a Trump presidency less likely.
    Yea, I think I'm definitely part of the reddit circlejerk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Paddy Power's odds are gradually showing trump as more and more likely. I feel like it would be a good bet at 13/8. He was at 2/1 a couple of days ago.

See, I now really believe that he will get elected. I have been banging the drum for ages saying that his nomination would fracture the GOP and hand the presidency to the democrats...but it looks like enough base republicans and new voters will back him to win him the election.

I am off to the bookies. 13/8 is looking good IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

BoatMad wrote: »
    why debate with a person that is not going to be a candidate

Because he said he would. Make no mistake, trump fűcked up here. He shouldn't have said it because he has nothing to gain from the debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Oh, come on. He's done and said things that would rate far higher on the fvck up scale in this campaign than backing out of a debate with a man that is now effectively a non runner. Nothing seems to dent this fella, it's baffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

... it's baffling.

Is it really though? In a nation where the average Joe thinks "House of Cards" is a documentary.

It's easy to see why people want to escape the self poisoning cloak of secretary enveloping the White House and Government in general regarding Homeland Security, FBI, CIA, RTB, etc., Hillary was in THAT room when Osama was killed.

Even if Trump is gruff, crass, bigoted, sexist, racist and every other ist you can think of. He is a successful businessman, promising to bring their nation back to prosperity, in peoples minds this equates to a time before terrorism. Trumps hard stand on illegals is only further proof that he is genuine.

He could slaughter a weak liberal on national TV with is bare hands and he would probably be carried shoulder high directly to the White House by half the population of the US.

He's the closest thing to John Wayne on the ticket at a time when people want a hero to lead them off into the sunset for a happy ever after.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Trump has just said that there's no drought in California.

"If I win, believe me, we're going to start opening up the water so that you can have your farmers survive,"

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/05/27/trump-tells-california-there-is-no-drought.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Is it really though? In a nation where the average Joe thinks "House of Cards" is a documentary.

It's easy to see why people want to escape the self poisoning cloak of secretary enveloping the White House and Government in general regarding Homeland Security, FBI, CIA, RTB, etc., Hillary was in THAT room when Osama was killed.

Even if Trump is gruff, crass, bigoted, sexist, racist and every other ist you can think of. He is a successful businessman, promising to bring their nation back to prosperity, in peoples minds this equates to a time before terrorism. Trumps hard stand on illegals is only further proof that he is genuine.

He could slaughter a weak liberal on national TV with is bare hands and he would probably be carried shoulder high directly to the White House by half the population of the US.

He's the closest thing to John Wayne on the ticket at a time when people want a hero to lead them off into the sunset for a happy ever after.

I used to think of trump as a joke candidate but his success has shown just how bad things have got. Just like in the uk a huge number of People are really pissed off with the way things are going. Mass immigration one of the major factors. To ignore this is now looking like political suicide. See labour in England.

I always thought trump would be soundly thrashed by the democrats no matter what but the fact that they have their own train wreck in the form of Hilary (I was shot at as I stepped off the plane, Norn iron peace process ) Clinton now makes me unsure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

All this stuff being thrown about about Trump. He's obnoxious, he's stupid, people who vote for him are stupid etc etc

He cuts through all the bull**** and manure. I strongly believe he is the only candidate that actually has the best interests of the working class in American at heart. He is starkly aware of the corruption of the banking sector. He is also conscious of the ultra PC mind control that is going on right now. The self censorship. The fear people have of offending Islam.

He is going to win. I wouldn't call the people voting for him stupid. I would call them enlightened.

If he's anything like the last two US presidents, he'll be on track to continue stripping away more civil liberties, and expanding the privatization of US armed forces (i.e. helping/allowing the creation of bigger private armies in the US), and expanding the presidents executive powers...

The US is the most powerful country on the planet, and has been engaging in endless wars around the world since WWII - it has a proven track record of being the most dangerous country on the planet - often through intelligence services which have little-to-no democratic accountability (who have engaged in numerous coups against democratic governments around the world) - with the US president leading that role (who can even sign off on executing US citizens now, ala Anwar Al-Awlaki) - add to that, on domestic policy, the US has been slowly turning-the-screw, in attacking civil liberties, allowing economic conditions to deteriorate, and allowing the government to become ever more captured by private/corporate/wealthy interests, with a two-tier legal system that favours the wealthy.

Many of the trends are already in place, to bring the country down a path of eroding democracy, over the coming decades - likely more in the form of Mussolini's Corporatism, than any of those other dictators.

None of this means that Trump will head down that direction - yet we don't have any idea what he does stand for, and for all people know, he could be exactly that kind of politician - that's why it's dangerous to give support to someone, who provides absolutely no clarity on what he intends to do in government.
    BoatMad wrote: »
    Comparisons of Trump with historical dictators is lazy anyway , American presidents exist with a clearly defined constitution that's has very good checks and balances
    Except if you actually bothered to read my posts, you'd see that it's not a direct comparison - and those 'checks and balances' have been eroded enormously over the last 15 years, and the next couple of decades can easily see them eroded far more...

Remember that countries like Germany had such 'checks and balances' as well, and they were simply eroded over time, until enough power was accumulated to simply ignore them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Superhorse

Trump very well may get in and I sincerely hope he does but if he doesn't I genuinely think the political landscape is changing forever in America and worldwide. People are sick to death of the PC liberal do gooders and the sick multicultural "dream" they aspire to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭BannerBarry

Trump has played a great political campaign. He achieved significant media coverage by being controversial... Eamonn Dunphy tactics.
    And now he is looking very likely to be the President. Any US person I spoke to is extremely worried about the strong prospects he gets elected.
    With a Strong US Dollar we may have high demand for some rural houses over here as US residents move outside the US... Just not near Doonbeg Golf Course!!

If he's anything like the last two US presidents, he'll be on track to continue stripping away more civil liberties, and expanding the privatization of US armed forces (i.e. helping/allowing the creation of bigger private armies in the US), and expanding the presidents executive powers...

The US is the most powerful country on the planet, and has been engaging in endless wars around the world since WWII - it has a proven track record of being the most dangerous country on the planet - often through intelligence services which have little-to-no democratic accountability (who have engaged in numerous coups against democratic governments around the world) - with the US president leading that role (who can even sign off on executing US citizens now, ala Anwar Al-Awlaki) - add to that, on domestic policy, the US has been slowly turning-the-screw, in attacking civil liberties, allowing economic conditions to deteriorate, and allowing the government to become ever more captured by private/corporate/wealthy interests, with a two-tier legal system that favours the wealthy.

Many of the trends are already in place, to bring the country down a path of eroding democracy, over the coming decades - likely more in the form of Mussolini's Corporatism, than any of those other dictators.

None of this means that Trump will head down that direction - yet we don't have any idea what he does stand for, and for all people know, he could be exactly that kind of politician - that's why it's dangerous to give support to someone, who provides absolutely no clarity on what he intends to do in government.

Except if you actually bothered to read my posts, you'd see that it's not a direct comparison - and those 'checks and balances' have been eroded enormously over the last 15 years, and the next couple of decades can easily see them eroded far more...

Remember that countries like Germany had such 'checks and balances' as well, and they were simply eroded over time, until enough power was accumulated to simply ignore them.

How have the checks and balances been erode over the past 15 years? Indeed, isn't the case that Obama could not push much needed legislation on gun crime and healthcare though congress because of these very checks and balances?

Your notion that the USA is 'the most dangerous country in the world' is not credible.

Your forecast that the US could become a fascist state under Trump is just nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Superhorse

Superhorse wrote: »

Iwould suggest you don't. That's sexist and crude. You're not going to win support for Trump with that kind of mentality - in fact you are merely supporting the stereotype.

How have the checks and balances been erode over the past 15 years? Indeed, isn't the case that Obama could not push much needed legislation on gun crime and healthcare though congress because of these very checks and balances?

Your notion that the USA is 'the most dangerous country in the world' is not credible.

Your forecast that the US could become a fascist state under Trump is just nonsense.
    There is no other country on Earth which has engaged in more war and murder since WWII, than the US - that's just a fact, and stands on its own - ironically though, it looks like Trump would reign this back.

I stated loads of ways checks and balances have been eroded in my previous post - the power of the president in the US has only grown over the last 15 years, and the president even has the power to sign off on the execution (without trial) of US citizens, like Anwar Al-Awlaki.

Don't misrepresent my posts. You know that I did not 'forecast' anything about the US - I've stated very clearly, that the problem with Trump is that we don't know what he'll do - he could very easily turn out to be exactly the kind of person, who would push the US in the direction of further right-wing extremism.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Iwould suggest you don't. That's sexist and crude. You're not going to win support for Trump with that kind of mentality - in fact you are merely supporting the stereotype.

It looks like the sort of thing you'd slap on the back of a 40-year-old American truck alongside a confederate flag.

Or on a trilby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Alibaba

I used to also think of Trump as a joke candidate.

Never took him too seriously , he just brightened up what would otherwise be a dull campaign.

Whether you like it or not though the guy speaks a lot of common sense.

Could be much better President than Obama, who I think has been a hopelessly weak President.

Never thought he would get elected, which he might not , but he has 50/50 chance now.

He mightn't be a bad President after all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement