Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

What's your point or question?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Must be Canadian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

What a pointless thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

WarZ wrote: »
    What a pointless thread.

Yeah newsdump. Merged with the Donald Trump thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭bnt

35 pages in, and no mention of Scott Adams? The creator of the Dilbert cartoon strip is also a trained hypnotist and an expert in persuasion techniques, and so he has a grudging apolitical admiration for Trump's use of such techniques, and discusses them on his blog. A year ago, Adams was predicting that those techniques could take Trump all the way, and look at where we are now. Here's a short interview with Bill Maher in which he covers some of that:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Alibaba wrote: »
    Could be much better President than Obama, who I think has been a hopelessly weak President.

To be fair to Obama, he has good intentions but he seriously underestimated the level of bureaucracy that exists in the USA when he entered power. I have little doubt that he really wanted to change the gun laws, for example but the NRA and the rest of the pro-gun groups made it impossible for him to do so. He also had a baptism of fire on becoming president when the financial crisis hit. IF Trump manages to become the next president of the USA and I hope he does, it will be very interesting to see how he plans to how deals with these barriers.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

Wesser wrote: »
    What's your point or question?
    What a pointless thread.

Lol relax there chumps It's only a video share...guys sound like you need to get out more

Is anybody else bemused when they come across Irish people that support Trump? The guy will be absolutely disastrous for our countries economy. He's talked about targeting Ireland a number of times. Ditto for Bernie Sanders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Is anybody else bemused when they come across Irish people that support Trump? The guy will be absolutely disastrous for our countries economy. He's talked about targeting Ireland a number of times. Ditto for Bernie Sanders

Irish people don't realize this. They seem to think that the success or failure of our economy is largely or even solely dependent on what goes on in our corridors of power. I would chose Trump over Clinton myself, for social reasons but the consequences of him following through on his threats regarding corporate taxation could be huge for the RoI.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Race and Disability : Trump wants to build a wall across the Southern Border to keep out the Mexicans and Mexico will pay for that wall (says Trump). Wants to ban all Muslims from coming to the United States for one year and for those Muslims already living in the United States, a new database , will be setup to identify them, and he has advocated Muslims should carry a special religious ID to identify them. He has mocked people with Disabilities during he’s speeches. Was a supporter of the Birther movement (Obama was Kenyan not born in America) Trump businesses were sued in the past for racial discrimination against black people.

Climate change: Trump believes it to be hoax even though modern science has proven it to be true.

Torture: He believes in it targeting terrorist families, women and children.. Geneva conventions treaties who cares about that! Was asked if the generals refuse what will you do? Trump insisted, “They won’t refuse. They’re not gonna refuse me. Believe me.”

Foreign Affairs: Insults foreign leaders calls them names on Twitter. Says if we fight wars in the Middle East we should just take the oil. Will consider sending grounds troops to defeat Isis. Said he would shoot down Russian planes if they kept flying near our warships and will not support the Iran deal Obama made and will get rid of it if hes the President.

Trump: We have rebuilt China, and yet they will go in the South China Sea and build a military fortress the likes of which perhaps the world has not seen," Trump said. "Amazing, actually. They do that, and they do that at will because they have no respect for our president and they have no respect for our country."

Is Trump going to do something about it?

Women: Insults them calls them Fat, useless and losers.

He said more than this, yet people still support him. We can not afford a man like this to be in charge. We have learned nothing from our History. A mad man in charge will lead to worldwide instability and chaos. This is no joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Berserker wrote: »
    Irish people don't realize this. They seem to think that the success or failure of our economy is largely or even solely dependent on what goes on in our corridors of power. I would chose Trump over Clinton myself, for social reasons but the consequences of him following through on his threats regarding corporate taxation could be huge for the RoI.

Why do you think 'Irish people don't realise this'. How come you are one of the elite few who have so much more wisdom and insight than the rest of us?

I am sure the vast majority of Irish people know our economy is heavily supported by US multinationals based here.

Race and Disability : Trump wants to build a wall across the Southern Border to keep out the Mexicans and Mexico will pay for that wall (says Trump). Wants to ban all Muslims from coming to the United States for one year and for those Muslims already living in the United States, a new database , will be setup to identify them, and he has advocated Muslims should carry a special religious ID to identify them. He has mocked people with Disabilities during he’s speeches. Was a supporter of the Birther movement (Obama was Kenyan not born in America) Trump businesses were sued in the past for racial discrimination against black people.

Climate change: Trump believes it to be hoax even though modern science has proven it to be true.

Torture: He believes in it targeting terrorist families, women and children.. Geneva conventions treaties who cares about that! Was asked if the generals refuse what will you do? Trump insisted, “They won’t refuse. They’re not gonna refuse me. Believe me.”

Foreign Affairs: Insults foreign leaders calls them names on Twitter. Says if we fight wars in the Middle East we should just take the oil. Will consider sending grounds troops to defeat Isis. Said he would shoot down Russian planes if they kept flying near our warships and will not support the Iran deal Obama made and will get rid of it if hes the President.

Trump: We have rebuilt China, and yet they will go in the South China Sea and build a military fortress the likes of which perhaps the world has not seen," Trump said. "Amazing, actually. They do that, and they do that at will because they have no respect for our president and they have no respect for our country."

He said more than this, yet people still support him. We can not afford a man like this to be in charge. We have learned nothing from our History. A mad man in charge will lead to worldwide instability and chaos. This is no joke.

I don't think there is more than one or two Trump supporters on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

All this stuff being thrown about about Trump. He's obnoxious, he's stupid, people who vote for him are stupid etc etc

He cuts through all the bull**** and manure. I strongly believe he is the only candidate that actually has the best interests of the working class in American at heart. He is starkly aware of the corruption of the banking sector. He is also conscious of the ultra PC mind control that is going on right now. The self censorship. The fear people have of offending Islam.

He is going to win. I wouldn't call the people voting for him stupid. I would call them enlightened.

Glad to see they finally realised that just because someone calls them a racist they dont have to crawl into a safe space to cry. Some people just need an extra hand to get through the basics.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

So you want the US to choose what is worst for them because it will be better for Ireland? What a pathetic and weak opinion.

So basically you don't like him because he wants to protect the country from mass immigration and terrorism and because he hurts people's feelings? Boo hoo.
    LorMal wrote: »
    I don't think there is more than one or two Trump supporters on here.
    You'd be surprised. They said he wouldn't be nominated and now look.

So you want the US to choose what is worst for them because it will be better for Ireland? What a pathetic and weak opinion.

LOL where did I say that? I think you should reread my post. I said I don't understand irish people that support him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,882 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Berserker wrote: »
    To be fair to Obama, he has good intentions but he seriously underestimated the level of bureaucracy that exists in the USA when he entered power. I have little doubt that he really wanted to change the gun laws, for example but the NRA and the rest of the pro-gun groups made it impossible for him to do so. He also had a baptism of fire on becoming president when the financial crisis hit. IF Trump manages to become the next president of the USA and I hope he does, it will be very interesting to see how he plans to how deals with these barriers.

You think Obama underestimated the bureaucracy, but think Trump would be better on that front? That's a guy who, when he comes up with various completely bananas policies, seemingly made up as he's talking, when he's asked how he would do them, essentially answers "I would do a great deal". He hasn't got the faintest idea about the bureaucracy, and couldn't give a ****e either. His supporters, when they actually acknowledge this at all, seen think that he will be able to make the barriers to his "ideas" disappear magically by sheer force of will.

He is a smart guy. His supporters are utterly delusional.

What exactly do you mean "targetting"? Are you implying he wants them killed? Totally wrong. He said "we need to go after their families" and clarified later that he did not mean to kill them. You are just regurgitating propaganda.
    Foreign Affairs: Insults foreign leaders calls them names on Twitter. Says if we fight wars in the Middle East we should just take the oil.
    Well they are investing a lot of cold cash into policing the middle east. Why not?
    Will consider sending grounds troops to defeat Isis. Said he would shoot down Russian planes if they kept flying near our warships and will not support the Iran deal Obama made and will get rid of it if hes the President.
    ISIS need to be stopped. As far as Russia is concerned he's just playing Putin at his own game. Neither of them are going to start WW3.
    It's just Rosie O' Donnell he said :)
    He's perfectly sane. Madness is what our dear politicians are doing in Europe.

LOL where did I say that? I think you should reread my post. I said I don't understand irish people that support him.
    Let me break this down for you so you understand.
    I support him because he will do what is right for his country and because I admire him and his political views.

You are saying that as an Irish person you should not support him because what is good for the US is bad for Ireland. You want them to vote in a dribbling leftist at their expense because somehow that we benefit us. Weak and feeble idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Somehow that movie 'Idiocracy' became real and people are actually buying into it.

It'd be funny if it wasn't so scary.

• Advertisement

Somehow that movie 'Idiocracy' became real and people are actually buying into it.

It'd be funny if it wasn't so scary.
    There are a lot of stupid people in the world that's for sure. In the US they are called Sanders supporters.

Let me break this down for you so you understand.
    I support him because he will do what is right for his country and because I admire him and his political views.

You are saying that as an Irish person you should not support him because what is good for the US is bad for Ireland. You want them to vote in a dribbling leftist at their expense because somehow that we benefit us. Weak and feeble idea.

Yes as an Irish person who supports Trump is someone who is supporting a candidate that goes against our countries interests. Logically that doesn't make sense. Why would you support a candidate that will negatively impact your own country?

I can't really put it any clearer mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭B_Wayne

There are a lot of stupid people in the world that's for sure. In the US they are called Sanders supporters.
    One campaign has relied on sexism, racism and stoking hatred. It is not Sanders' btw..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

What exactly do you mean "targetting"? Are you implying he wants them killed? Totally wrong. He said "we need to go after their families" and clarified later that he did not mean to kill them. You are just regurgitating propaganda.
    “And the other thing is with the terrorists, you have to take out their families. They, they care about their lives. Don’t kid yourself. But they say they don’t care about their lives. You have to take out their families.”

---

“We have to be much tougher and much stronger than we’ve been,” Trump said at the fifth Republican debate hosted by CNN in Las Vegas. The answer came in response to a question from Josh Jacob, a student at Georgia Tech, who asked, “How would intentionally killing innocent civilians set us apart from ISIS?”

“You look at the attack in California the other day — numerous people, including the mother that knew what was going on,” Trump responded. “They saw a pipe bomb sitting all over the floor. They saw ammunition all over the place. They knew exactly what was going on.”

“I would be very, very firm with families,” he added. “Frankly, that will make people think, because they may not care much about their lives, but they do care, believe it or not, about their families’ lives.”

This is one of those issues where you can see pretty easily if you are talking to someone who would defend Trump shooting someone in the street, as he put it.
    Well they are investing a lot of cold cash into policing the middle east. Why not?
    I don't recall the middle east asking them to get involved in any of their affairs? They've been meddling around with the area since the Cold War and not very many people there seem to have ever appreciated or wanted it.

By the same logic you are using here, the British were right to let us starve during the famine. After all, they had invested a lot of cash into policing Ireland, so why not take our crops?
    ISIS need to be stopped. As far as Russia is concerned he's just playing Putin at his own game. Neither of them are going to start WW3.
    Much like Thatcher & the IRA, there would be few things better for ISIS than a Trump presidency. I would imagine the lads who do the recruitment for them are genuinely very excited and delighted at what they have been seeing.
    He's perfectly sane. Madness is what our dear politicians are doing in Europe.
    If you are using policy as a mark of sanity, then 'the wall' automatically disqualifies Trump from being in full capacity of his faculties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Must of been a pain in the ass they all had to switch over to dem for the primaries.
    Yes as an Irish person who supports Trump is someone who is supporting a candidate that goes against our countries interests. Logically that doesn't make sense. Why would you support a candidate that will negatively impact your own country?

"Winning" against the left is far more important than anything like the economy. Only the lazy scroungers will be unemployed and you tell them its the immigrants that took their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

Best laugh so far is the guy who says Trump cares about the common worker.

OK so when he says he's going to 'open up the water' to end the California drought, can someone explain what that means?

Best laugh so far is the guy who says Trump cares about the common worker.

OK so when he says he's going to 'open up the water' to end the California drought, can someone explain what that means?

Either that, or rain dances.

Because I want our strongest ally to be strong, not weak. You understand? I like the US and the people there.
    B_Wayne wrote: »
    One campaign has relied on sexism, racism and stoking hatred. It is not Sanders' btw..
    He's not afraid to speak his mind that's for sure. I wouldn't call him a racist, just a realist. Anyway, Islam is not a race.
    Billy86 wrote: »
    “And the other thing is with the terrorists, you have to take out their families. They, they care about their lives. Don’t kid yourself. But they say they don’t care about their lives. You have to take out their families.”

---

“We have to be much tougher and much stronger than we’ve been,” Trump said at the fifth Republican debate hosted by CNN in Las Vegas. The answer came in response to a question from Josh Jacob, a student at Georgia Tech, who asked, “How would intentionally killing innocent civilians set us apart from ISIS?”

“You look at the attack in California the other day — numerous people, including the mother that knew what was going on,” Trump responded. “They saw a pipe bomb sitting all over the floor. They saw ammunition all over the place. They knew exactly what was going on.”

“I would be very, very firm with families,” he added. “Frankly, that will make people think, because they may not care much about their lives, but they do care, believe it or not, about their families’ lives.”

Listen, if the family is aware of the terrorist in their midst, if there is ammunition sitting around the place then they are complicit and fair game.

I don't recall the middle east asking them to get involved in any of their affairs? They've been meddling around with the area since the Cold War and not very many people there seem to have ever appreciated or wanted it.
    I don't think Trump was too happy about them meddling in the middle east either. If he needs to go after a terrorist threat there though then so be it. You'd rather leave the oil for ISIS to sell on the black market?
    By the same logic you are using here, the British were right to let us starve during the famine. After all, they had invested a lot of cash into policing Ireland, so why not take our crops?
    Terrorists are getting the proceeds not people. **** them.
    Much like Thatcher & the IRA, there would be few things better for ISIS than a Trump presidency. I would imagine the lads who do the recruitment for them are genuinely very excited and delighted at what they have been seeing.
    Difficult to be happy when you are dead.
    If you are using policy as a mark of sanity, then 'the wall' automatically disqualifies Trump from being in full capacity of his faculties.
    China did it 1000s of years ago.

Listen, if the family is aware of the terrorist in their midst, if there is ammunition sitting around the place then they are complicit and fair game.
    Note how in the first one he never says anything about families knowing anything or even being in close touch with the terrorist, he just wants them "taken out"... to dinner, presumably?

Good to know that's what you would have done with the Guildford Four and their family members, though.
    I don't think Trump was too happy about them meddling in the middle east either. If he needs to go after a terrorist threat there though then so be it. You'd rather leave the oil for ISIS to sell on the black market?
    Despite the fact he is on record supporting Libya and Iraq?
    Terrorists are getting the proceeds not people. **** them.
    Congratulations on doing ISIS' PR work for them about the US constantly getting involved in their affairs, killing their people, stealing their lands and resources, etc.

Bombing it is risky enough from that perspective, but at least you're not creating the impression that you're stealing it.
    Difficult to be happy when you are dead.
    Oh, you're relying on magic, got it. How do you propose to kill every member of ISIS, including the ones you don't even know exist?
    China did it 1000s of years ago.
    If you want us to go back to the year 200BC, that's your issue.

• Advertisement

While Trump will possibly be negative for Ireland f he amends US tax laws for miltinationals, isn't it time that Ireland realised our strategic weakness in this regard?
    We are a one trick pony - low corporation tax - some day soon it's going to bite us on the ass. We should be preparing an alternative, Trump or no Trump.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement