Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump

Options

Comments

Samaris wrote: »
    The man is either bonkers (and an asshat) or brilliant (and an asshat). It's like voting for a Youtube comment thread to be president. It'd probably do less harm in the long run at that.

At least if he does become president, at worst with a Republican house too, even they are likely to put reins on him to prevent him causing World War III, IV and V all at once.

I don't understand this Trump pro-war narrative. Hillary is one of the biggest hawks in American politics. From the Iraq war part 2 (Which Trump was openly against) through to Libya, she has been an active supporter of every half-baked war effort by the US that's left the world in the state it's in now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Don't like him, but Clinton is not the lovey dovey,Goody Goody the media likes you to believe

I was watching RTE News a couple of months ago. For the Trump section of the report they went to a Gun Show to interview Trump supporters. For the Hillary section they went to the most hipster cafe in the world. Macbooks and beards gallore.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,447 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

For the people who are saying that Hilary is as bad can we all just agree that they are both terrible people?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,578 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

If Clinton/Trump go head to head I think we can expect a lot of dirty laundry being aired in public

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I was watching RTE News a couple of months ago. For the Trump section of the report they went to a Gun Show to interview Trump supporters. For the Hillary section they went to the hipster cafe in the world. Macbooks and beards gallore.

That's just the narrative. If they were really going to be true to the facts on the ground, they'd go to some struggling Texas manufacturing business or gated residential subdivision association to interview Trump supporters, and to a university or nail salon or ethnic restaurant or multinational IT firm to interview Sanders supporters, and to I don't know where for Clinton supporters because except for noisy female public activists, in my experience Clinton supporters are not especially vocal about it.

• Advertisement

For the people who are saying that Hilary is as bad can we all just agree that they are both terrible people?

No matter who gets elected, a politician wins and the rest of us lose.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Penn wrote: »
    He's not winning because he's not an idiot, he's winning because he's an idiot who appeals to other idiots, of which there appear to be a great number of.
    It's all too easy to dismiss him as an idiot and to dismiss those who vote for him as idiots. It's lazy thinking and just as idiotic. Trump is no fool. He has an extremely well honed ability to be the constantly shifting blank canvas that others can pin their perceptions onto. On both sides.

Most of all a large chunk of the American public are fed up, confused and scared at how their lives and their "American dream" is going. The rich are getting richer, the poor more voluminous and the middle are massively squeezed compared to the babyboomer generation before them. Never mind the various war zones many can't place on a map that their children are being sent to and too often not coming back from.

They're looking for something different to the usual Democrat/Republican pantomime and he plugs right into that. Hell look at the support for Sanders. He's plugging into that too and to many Americans he'd be close to a communist.

In the end they won't get anyone different of course. The table is rigged and has been for a very long time, but they will get their sideshow to make them feel that they might.

It could get interesting depending on how Trump leaves the race mind you. There is enough anger and frustration among enough Americans that their political landscape might see some change. Or as per usual, nada will happen.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

Hillary Clinton is a bought and paid for neocon psychopath. She has taken $153 million in bribes to date. She was the one who brought us Libya and the state it's in today. She is completely beholden to Wall Street, K street and the 1%. She will clamour for the invasion of Syria, Iran, Russia AND China.

Her level of corruption and warmongering makes Nixon look like Gandhi. Her campaign message says absolutely nothing, because she knows that if and when she gets into power the shit she's going to do is unspeakable. "Vote for me....because I'm Hillary Clinton", that's the platform she running on. Obama was basically Bush 2. Hillary will be worse. Democrat? Liberal? Bollocks. She's Bernie Madoff in a dress.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I don't understand this Trump pro-war narrative. Hillary is one of the biggest hawks in American politics. From the Iraq war part 2 (Which Trump was openly against) through to Libya, she has been an active supporter of every half-baked war effort by the US that's left the world in the state it's in now.
    +1. Clinton is only in the mix because of her last name, her deep party and business connections and the fact she's a woman. They got a Black president in before, so they're going for the twofer.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Speedwell wrote: »
    American citizen here. Trump will lose. He will lose because he is a joke. He is unqualified, unsuitable, and doesn't even truly want the job. What persuades you that he is remotely electable is because of all the morons and troublemakers in his train making a deafening noise. If by some miracle he does wind up being elected (and it will take a genuine, "Hell is freezing over" miracle) he will not last in office. Sanders wouldn't be taken seriously enough by the people with the money and the guns. I will vote for Sanders in the primary, Clinton in the election, because that is how it is going to play out.

Been hearing Trump is a joke and can't win since the start of the campaign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I really don't understand how people can suport Trump. Some of his sentiments(and I'm calling them that purposefully because he's a million ****ing miles away from having any concrete policies) may ring true with the American public but he continuously comes out with such bigoted, hateful statements that he really shouldn't be let within an asses roar of any public office.

Strongly anti-vaccine.
    Openly mocked a disabled reporter on television, in front of thousands.
    Claims to have seen "thousands of Muslims celebrating after 9/11" which has since been proven to be a lie(one of many open lies), and is the reason for him mocking previously mentioned reporter.

Just a taste of some of his prouder moments. It's really no skin off our teeth how the US votes because the man or woman in the oval office has far less influence over the western world than congress in reality, but if I was an American I'd be embarrassed to have such a hateful figure elected to be the head of state. I think when it comes down to it, the votes will reflect that and even with her many many flaws Clinton will win in a landslide.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,778 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Wibbs wrote: »
    It's all too easy to dismiss him as an idiot and to dismiss those who vote for him as idiots. It's lazy thinking and just as idiotic. Trump is no fool. He has an extremely well honed ability to be the constantly shifting blank canvas that others can pin their perceptions onto. On both sides.

I certainly don't deny he's not purposefully and strategically tapping in to what a lot of people want, and in that regard, you can't fault him. But it's more than just easy and lazy to dismiss him as an idiot. It's apt. While a lot of the stupid stuff he comes out with will get him a good few votes, definitely not all of it is intentional. He's just that stupid anyway. Has been since long before this campaign.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

Samaris wrote: »
    The man is either bonkers (and an asshat) or brilliant (and an asshat). It's like voting for a Youtube comment thread to be president. It'd probably do less harm in the long run at that.

At least if he does become president, at worst with a Republican house too, even they are likely to put reins on him to prevent him causing World War III, IV and V all at once.

Clinton...has issues, yes. She's been around the block enough to know what just isn't feasible at least. Trump is likely to try anything and like hell will he admit it when it doesn't work. I admit, I'd be somewhat amused to see the Mexicans laughing in his face if he did get in and start up his famous Wall idea. Or at least if he tries to make them pay for it.

Clinton is the one that would start WW3, not Trump.

Trump has stated that he has no problem with the Russians and thinks that Putin is a guy he could work with. Clinton on the contrary is all for bombing as many countries as possible until they are American puppets.

I hope he wins because America had it's chance at getting what the rest of the first world has but instead, is voting for Hillary. They deserve the mayhem and I think Trump will be less active in other countries which benefits much of the world.

As a non-American, we should only really care about their foreign policy but I still wanted Sanders to go and try and make some proper reforms. But all Americans hate each other and can't stand the idea of paying more tax even if they get free healthcare.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Why the **** don't Americans just vote for another party? It's like they feel they have to vote for one of the two big ones. Land of the free my hole.

Why the **** don't Americans just vote for another party? It's like they feel they have to vote for one of the two big ones. Land of the free my hole.

there is no other party that has the resources to fund a campaign. the last credible third-party candidate i can remember was Ross Perot. and he was a billionaire.

And those two parties are actually private organisations.. That's why all of these weird Primary things are legal. Not counting votes / Superdeligates etc. It doesn't even have to pretend to be democratic at the primary stage.

Several years ago, before I grew a brain and a heart, I was a member of the Libertarian Party and a campaign worker for Ron Paul. There was no chance of him winning, and everyone knew that. The object was disruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Mk2 Clinton and her paymasters will drag the west into some very dark places

I would take a chance on Trump rather than face that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

I have yet to meet a person who supports her for reasons other than thinking she is the lesser of 2 evils. I'm sure there are people who support her but they hide in some corner if the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Pfizer was about to become an Irish registered company trough an inversion deal with botox making Allergan which is an Irish registered company, Trump had spent months at his rallies mentioning how American companies are trying to avoid paying their main taxes in the US.
    I am not saying Trump was responsible, but rules were changed which made the deal not viable.

The people who laugh at Trump and support Hillary are the the biggest jokes in the upcoming election. I mean Hillary Clinto has such an awful record as Secretary of State, remember she wanted to bomb Assad out of power before Putin put her back in her box, as if she hadn't done enough with the mess she helped create in Libya, not to mention her support of the Iraq war and a coup against the democratically elected leader of Honduras.
    If a Republican politician was responsible for the sheer incompetence of Mrs Clinton she would be ridiculed.

The thing is both Trump and Clinton are highly unpopular among voters.

I think Trump can win as there are a lot of people fed up of the same old politics.

Clinton is a warmonger and has always espoused hawkish views backed up by votes and action where possible.
    Trump has talked against wasting money on foreign wars, and how money wasted on foreign wars - he puts it at $4 trillion needs to be used to modernise US infrastructure at home rather than wasting it on people who don't like America.
    On the other hand Clinton talks as if she is funded by the weapons industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭stevedublin

So if Trump becomes prez, you think he will not get involved in any wars?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭MarcoAntonio23

As an outsider looking in Ireland is pretty much in the same boat with the choice of either Fianna Fail & Fine Gael, although I will admit to being less informed on Irish politics than most.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

As an outsider looking in Ireland is pretty much in the same boat with the choice of either Fianna Fail & Fine Gael, although I will admit to being less informed on Irish politics than most.

Several ministers have been from other parties over previous governments. PDs, Greens, Labour and now indepedents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

So you want someone, who you think doesn't believe a word of what he says - you're assuming that, even when he's saying some incredibly awful/inflammatory/xenophobic things - you want that person to become president of the most powerful country on the planet?

When politics degenerates, to this level of idiocy, that is when there is the greatest danger, that someone may be voted in who may strip away the remaining layers of democratic accountability, and lead a country down the path into authoritarian extremism.

There are many echo's of the 1930's going on here - and people generally, are too fúcking stupid, to learn any lessons from the past there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

There's no reason why Donald Trump wont win.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 976 ✭✭✭beach_walker

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    There's no reason why Donald Trump wont win.

Especially if the anti-Trump protests continue on their current track. I was shaking my head at the footage (last week I think) of the crowd attacking a cop car with Mexican flags being held by other protesters in the background. I mean really? Who do you guys think this is gonna help? Morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Leave me alone yiz shower of bastards.

• Advertisement

So you want someone, who you think doesn't believe a word of what he says - you're assuming that, even when he's saying some incredibly awful/inflammatory/xenophobic things - you want that person to become president of the most powerful country on the planet?

When politics degenerates, to this level of idiocy, that is when there is the greatest danger, that someone may be voted in who may strip away the remaining layers of democratic accountability, and lead a country down the path into authoritarian extremism.

There are many echo's of the 1930's going on here - and people generally, are too fúcking stupid, to learn any lessons from the past there.

most of that could apply to hilary as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement