Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I think its very likely Clinton will win, but I think its going to be unfortunate. As I said before, I think she's actually the most disingenous person in the race.

She gave a speech about inequality and how she 'gets' it as she wore an Armani jacket costing over $12,400.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

RobertKK wrote: »
    She gave a speech about inequality and how she 'gets' it as she wore an Armani jacket costing over $12,400.

while Trump, a self proclaimed billionaire preaches to the dispossessed white middle classes !!!!!!!!!

you couldnt make it up !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Two Tone

Christy42 wrote: »
    Well that lasted. Calling someone "his" African American and calling a judge inappropriate to rule against him due to his heritage.

While the first must have been Trump mispeaking it is a pretty impressive mistake. I mean how you don't realise that is a stupid thing to say is beyond me.
    Didn't hear about that. I avoid reading about him but anything controversial usually tends to be everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

222233 wrote: »
    I really like Donald Trump the first person to tell it as it is in my opinion in a very long time.

Even though I'm sure a lot of what he says will never materialise should he be elected its refreshing to think that there are still people out there willing to say what so many others are thinking.

Just because a lot of people think racist, sexist, and generally inflammatory comments doesn’t mean it’s refreshing to hear a politician make them. It’s certainly not something that would make me ‘like’ someone.
    BoatMad wrote: »
    while Trump, a self proclaimed billionaire preaches to the dispossessed white middle classes !!!!!!!!!

you couldnt make it up !

He is on tape saying how recessions are great for his business, such a man of the people!

• Advertisement

Yes, it is his dishonesty that irks me. People praise him for saying what he thinks but he is actually saying what he does not think in relation to the poor and disenfranchised and uneducated. They were "losers" - now he has the utmost respect for them, handily, because they like what he says. He just says things that will appeal to his voters - that's not speaking what he thinks at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Two Tone wrote: »
    Yes, it is his dishonesty that irks me. People praise him for saying what he thinks but he is actually saying what he does not think in relation to the poor and disenfranchised and uneducated. They were "losers" - now he has the utmost respect for them, handily, because they like what he says. He just says things that will appeal to his voters - that's not speaking what he thinks at all!

Welcome to politics.

Gavlor wrote: »
    Welcome to politics.
    Exactly. People say he is this shining beacon of anti-spin and refusing to play the game. He is playing the game just like anyone else is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Two Tone wrote: »

Trump has realised that the election in a 24/7 saturation social media internet age is not about consistency or honesty. Its about populist statements that need not be proven or backed up by facts , as the internet generation only has seconds of attention span and what matters is the " soundbite " or perhaps " tweet bite". There is no kudos for " explanations " or reasoning or compromise . Just shoot hard and fast from the hip and move on, whether its a truth, a half truth or a downright fabrication is irrelevant, by the time you opponents have dissected your comments and tried to prove them false, its old forgotten news and you are 10 fabricated points ahead.

Trump isn't a politician , he actually in a reality tv game player and he knows how to play this to win. sadly we however need a politician and not a TV bimbo when all this is over

you have to admire the man , the damage he is doing to the Gop and democratic parties is only delightful to behold, I expect loads of rule changes in both parties after the dust has settled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

222233 wrote: »
    I really like Donald Trump the first person to tell it as it is in my opinion in a very long time.

Even though I'm sure a lot of what he says will never materialise should he be elected its refreshing to think that there are still people out there willing to say what so many others are thinking.
    Which policies, stances or proposals of his are you referring to, though?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

wes wrote: »
    Correction: people are so quick to try to forget, and hope others do too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,735 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭N365

Might not be a bad thing if Trump succeeds . I'm not really sure what people are afraid of. I don't believe he is racist or a war monger. The U.S. Needs a strong leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭marymary1984

Think he says many things in a very un-politically correct way. Says what many people think but says it very direct.
    At the end of the day, someone worth that amount of money can't be as stupid as he is portrayed!
    He's playing the game exceptionally well - in the final 2 - even Hillary hasn't confirmed this yet (it's a given but not confirmed).
    He could potentially be a great president if allowed- I think you'll see a very different Trump over coming weeks as he goes one on one against Clinton - a less crazy one but we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,883 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Poor Clinton. Trump is all over the news with his judge antics and his big reveal next Monday.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

At the end of the day, someone worth that amount of money can't be as stupid as he is portrayed!
    You do realise he was left millions of dollars by his daddy? And if he had taken those millions and simply invested them all those years ago that he'd be worth more than he is today(which is hard to pin down as he constantly shifts on the figure). What does impress me about him has been his ability to get away with major losses and business failures and the banks still backed him. He's a very good negotiator it seems.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

ebbsy wrote: »
    Poor Clinton. Trump is all over the news with his judge antics and his big reveal next Monday.

I wouldn't feel sorry for Clinton, she played Trump like a fiddle last week. He's running out of road, he's called her a thief, a liar, a sex abuser by association...and he's still behind in the polls. This 'big reveal' could be a card he didn't anticipate playing so soon.

Trump has plenty of form when it comes to making unsubstantiated claims and inferences.

http://cdn.bgr.com/2015/06/trump-birther-tweet.jpg?w=624

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Weeks later and I'm yet to see a solitary post where somebody outlines which of Trump's policies they agree with(because he doesn't have any) and why they think would make him a good president, or head of any state never mind the USA.

Instead they are coming out with nothing statements like "He says what people are thinking!" Or "I like how he's un-PC". I mean Christ do ye realise how ****ing brainwashed ye sound?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 Soft Boiled

He's lost far more money than he's ever made.

He's far from the great businessman he likes to portray himself as - just happened to be born with a silver spoon in his mouth and millions in a trust fund.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭tigger123

The racist comments he made about the Judge illustrate Trump's lack of political nous. It wasn't like Mitt Romney's 47 per cent gaff whereby he was secretly filmed, but this was an outright racist claim that he continually doubled down upon in a CNN interview. It's unbelievable. Especially considering how much ground he already needs to make up with the Latino vote after his 'all Mexicans are rapists, I'm gonna build a wall' bullsh*t.

Plus, it's a long way to the election in November, God knows what he's going to say over the next 5 months.

I can't see him a) not continually damaging his own chances and b) Clinton not defeating him. I think Clinton's election team will be better equipped to unpick him than his previous Republican opponents.

Also (separately), it's fantastic to see a woman get the Democratic nomination.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭tigger123

He's lost far more money than he's ever made.

He's far from the great businessman he likes to portray himself as - just happened to be born with a silver spoon in his mouth and millions in a trust fund.

He loves to portray himself that way, he's a complete fraud.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 Soft Boiled

It's sad to see what has happened to the Republican party over the last decade or so.
    It used to stand for small Government, fiscal responsibility, social conservatism.
    They been completely taken over by right-wing nut jobs, Jesus-freaks, racists and fear-mongers.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

We don't have much hope as a species, do we!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Superhorse

I agree with the majority of his policies. Good luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Superhorse wrote: »
    I agree with the majority of his policies. Good luck to him.

Would you like to outline specifically which policies you agree with?

He could potentially be a great president if allowed- I think you'll see a very different Trump over coming weeks as he goes one on one against Clinton - a less crazy one but we'll see.

When has he shown that he can do either?

Show me a great president who has wanted to ban people from the US based on their religion.

Has there ever been a US President who has threatened to tighten up libel laws, essentially tearing up the 1st amendment, because he doesn't like what journalists write about him?

Has a US president ever been sued for fraud and then used that personal case that has nothing to do with his campaign to call out a judge because his grandparents nationality mean he can't do his job? That judge is just as American as Trump. (2nd generation)

Anyone who thinks Trump is a decent man who will be a great president has entirely drank the kool aid and either has a hateful heart or is just plain dumb.

VinLieger wrote: »
    Would you like to outline specifically which policies you agree with?

"I'm gonna build a beautiful wall folks."

"I'm gonna make sure apple make their dumb computers in america"

"mexico is gonna pay for the wall"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Iceboy wrote: »

Yeah, Stefan Molyneux is TOTALLY a fair and balanced guy to wast- I mean, spend 44 minutes listening to. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,883 ✭✭✭ebbsy

When has he shown that he can do either?

Show me a great president who has wanted to ban people from the US based on their religion.

Has there ever been a US President who has threatened to tighten up libel laws, essentially tearing up the 1st amendment, because he doesn't like what journalists write about him?

Has a US president ever been sued for fraud and then used that personal case that has nothing to do with his campaign to call out a judge because his grandparents nationality mean he can't do his job? That judge is just as American as Trump. (2nd generation)

Anyone who thinks Trump is a decent man who will be a great president has entirely drank the kool aid and either has a hateful heart or is just plain dumb.

When you tell people that they are stupid then they will do the opposite to what you want.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement