Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump

Options

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Jeffrey Flier, the Dean of Harvard Medical school (as of last week since he just stepped down) set an amazing precedent yesterday by tweeting this:

https://twitter.com/jflier/status/759466280504193026

The reason this is so groundbreaking is that there is a rule for American Psychiatrists called the Goldwater rule that says you cannot diagnose a public figure without formal examination.

The fact that he would break this rule in order to make this statement truly shows how polarising Trump is.

Also, if you want to read up on NPD and what it means, read this article:

https://hbr.org/2004/01/narcissistic-leaders-the-incredible-pros-the-inevitable-cons (some of you might recognise your bosses in that article :))

TLDR: Narcissists are thin-skinned with an incredible need for admiration and attention, who lack empathy and at times a realistic view of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Jeffrey Flier, the Dean of Harvard Medical school (as of last week since he just stepped down) set an amazing precedent yesterday by tweeting this:

The reason this is so groundbreaking is that there is a rule for American Psychiatrists called the Goldwater rule that says you cannot diagnose a public figure without formal examination.

The fact that he would break this rule in order to make this statement truly shows how polarising Trump is.

https://hbr.org/2004/01/narcissistic-leaders-the-incredible-pros-the-inevitable-cons (some of you might recognise your bosses in that article :))

TLDR: Narcissists are thin-skinned with an incredible need for admiration and attention, who lack empathy and at times a realistic view of the world.

"College liberal upset at Donald Trump".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Yawn. Anything to say about his competency for the role? This is a guy who started a mortgage company in 2006.

In fairness he also GTFO in 2007, ahead of the '08 meltdown, licencing it out to a bigger mortgage company iirc.
    Shrewd, for sure but failure?

He's got a list of failed and successful/operating businesses behind him.
    People seem to think this makes him a bit thick, because hey...
    He inherited 40 million in 1974. According to these folks:
    http://www.vox.com/2015/9/2/9248963/donald-trump-index-fund
    he would be worth about as much as they reckon he's worth now, if he had simply done almost nothing at all..
    Basically:
    $40 million in a S&P 500 index in August 1974, reinvest all dividends, not cash out and have to pay capital gains, and pay nothing in investment fees, he'd wind up with about $3.4 billion come August 2015

What if Trump just quit the real estate business in 1982, put his money in an index fund, and played out his days on the golf course instead?
    That would be very successful indeed. He'd be worth much more than he is now

What a thicko, hah? Instead of doing what most others do, he's gone the "tooth and nail" route of continuously opening and closing business, succeeding/failing, and has only wound up in a situation where he employs at least 22,500 people directly. Currently. Who knows how more many he's employed up to and since 1974. He could have avoided all that if he just sat on it and filtered it offshore, kept it all away from revenue etc etc...

He's some bloody moron alright :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Wibbs wrote: »
    If the Combover gets in and it's a big if, then pretty much none of the above will happen, of any of it. That's just the usual scaremongering IMH.

Its the republican party platform for the future. Whether or not they are capable of doing it or not is hardly he point.

Its an election. Pointing out the other sides position cant really be called "scaremongering" can it? I'm not dramatising it.

Their official position that all republicans have signed up for is that they will support conservative supreme court justices that will over turn the gay marriage ruling.

Vote for them and thats what they will do.

Abortion rights will be threatened too. Thats really not "scaremongering". Why would they not do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,325 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yawn. Anything to say about his competency for the role? This is a guy who started a mortgage company in 2006.

That's his weak point so he won't talk about it except to say that he has had tremendous success in business.

The facts are almost completely irrelevant. Trump's self promotion is the best example of social construction that I can remember. Preceptor is reality in this case. Reality is whatever he says it is. 'I alone can fix it' and 'I don't know anything about Putin except that he would respect me'. He just says whatever suits him and some people fall for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Arturo Bandini

I'm not saying he's wrong, but by looking at his twitter he's hardly an impartial source. Hillary is without doubt narcissistic also, but I'm sure he won't be giving us his diagnosis on her.

lawlolawl wrote: »
    "College liberal upset at Donald Trump".

You could dismiss it as that but you can't deny it's the freaking dean of harvard medical school. Not a man to make idle political statement. Not your usual liberal academic (interesting point of fact, medical doctors tend more toward the conservative end of the political spectrum in the US)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

In fairness he also GTFO in 2007, ahead of the '08 meltdown, licencing it out to a bigger mortgage company iirc.
    Shrewd, for sure but failure?

He folded the company and left some creditors unpaid. We could leave it at that, but...
    “How you react to the so-called housing bubble can be a barometer of your business personality,” he wrote in a September 2005 blog entry, months before the launch of Trump Mortgage. The post, published on the website of Trump University, the now-defunct business that provided seminars for aspiring real estate entrepreneurs, appeared under the headline “The Housing Bubble: Doom and Gloom Don’t Pay.”

“Are you the type of person who takes advantage of positive situations when they present themselves, riding them out as long as they last? Or do you heed every message of doom and gloom, avoiding risks that could be some remarkable opportunities?"
    Source
    The first person who comes to mind while I read this part was Bertie Ahern and his infamous comment wondering why those warning of the impending bursting of the housing bubble didn't commit suicide.

On top of that...
    “I think the market is very good,” Trump responded. “We’re going to have a great company. It’s Trump Mortgage and trumpmortgage.com. And it’s going to be a terrific company,”one he predicted would quickly become an industry leader.

Trump derided economists during the broadcast, saying they were often unable to predict significant events.

“I went to the Wharton School of Finance. I was actually a very good student, believe it or not, but I’ve never been a huge believer in forecasting what’s going to happen because you really never know what happens down the road,” he said.

Oh, and Trump Financial, that company who got a licence to use the Trump "brand", didn't fare too well either, and folded a few years afterwards.
    You could dismiss it as that but you can't deny it's the freaking dean of harvard medical school. Not a man to make idle political statement. Not your usual liberal academic (interesting point of fact, medical doctors tend more toward the conservative end of the political spectrum in the US)
    Ah shure the people are tired of "experts" anyways. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I think we can lump a lot of the current 'Me Generation' under that banner too! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

You could dismiss it as that but you can't deny it's the freaking dean of harvard medical school. Not a man to make idle political statement.
    Not your usual liberal academic (interesting point of fact, medical doctors tend more toward the conservative end of the political spectrum in the US)
    Does that especially qualify him to make diagnoses about people he has never met?
    Does he have a history in psychiatry or psychology?
    Because a brief look into him show that he's an endocrinologist.

I'm no fan of trump, but I think there's no shortage of sticks to beat him with.
    What this doctor has done is very unethical and could set a dangerous precedent.
    I'd expect better from someone who works in a caring profession.
    He's just ratcheting up the level of polarisation in a debate that is already way too polarised.

• Advertisement

Does that especially qualify him to make diagnoses about people he has never met?
    Does he have a history in psychiatry or psychology?
    Because a brief look into him show that he's an endocrinologist.

I'm no fan of trump, but I think there's no shortage of sticks to beat him with.
    What this doctor has done is very unethical and could set a dangerous precedent.
    I'd expect better from someone who works in a caring profession.
    He's just ratcheting up the level of polarisation in a debate that is already way too polarised.

He'd be in a heck of a lot more trouble if he were a psychiatrist. I wasn't saying whether he was right or wrong but it's a remarkable noteworthy event that such a respected figure in the field of medicine would say this about a presidential candidate. Totally without precedent and I don't know if he could add to the polarisation if he tried. This is a marmite candidate, very much doubt you could find someone without an opinion on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

He doesn't respond well to criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

The president of the United States is nothing but a figurehead, you don't really think he/she actually has any real power do you?

If the electorate votes in Trump who are we to protest.

The president of the United States is nothing but a figurehead, you don't really think he/she actually has any real power do you?

If the electorate votes in Trump who are we to protest.

The next president is going to pick two justices of the supreme court and they do have real power in interpreting the laws of the country at the highest level. So it depends on how you feel about gay rights and the reproductive rights of women because the supreme court make real decisions on those issues all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,636 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I wasn't saying whether he was right or wrong but it's a remarkable noteworthy event that such a respected figure in the field of medicine would say this about a presidential candidate. Totally without precedent and I don't know if he could add to the polarisation if he tried.

I don't think he should be saying anything to be honest, even with his qualifications.

On Trump himself, now that the Republican nomination is secured, he needs to convince a load of moderates and swing voters to vote for him...I don't see how he can do that without moving away from his base support.

I'm not sure how much of a politician he really is, or how much he understands (or will be able to adjust to) the fact that there's a whole new group of people he needs to convince now. There are huge swathes of minorities for whom he is utterly toxic, while there are still republicans who aren't convinced about his republican credentials in the first place.

On the other hand, Clinton is hated, hated, by lots of Americans too, and many of Sanders' followers remain lukewarm about her.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Clinton lost 23 contests to Sanders.

She won't have the super delegates to bail her out in the next vote.

Republicans are complaining about Trump yet their own candidates couldn't get the job done.

Obama was a great speaker and that's what got him in but what has he left behind ?

That will decide it.

Trump is on the TV every time you watch it.

Trump next President. He has my endorsement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

This man is not fit to run his country or to have global influence. This is worth a read:

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/07/25/donald-trumps-ghostwriter-tells-all

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

ebbsy wrote: »
    Clinton lost 23 contests to Sanders.

Clinton got nearly four million more votes than sanders in the primaries.

She also got three million more votes than trump.

ebbsy wrote: »

Trump next President. He has my endorsement.

Do you live in the US? 'Cos if you live in Ireland Trump said he was gung ho on bringing jobs back from here to the US by making our tax regime less advantageous to attract US investment.

Make no mistake a Trump presidency would be very bad for our economy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I'm not saying he's wrong, but by looking at his twitter he's hardly an impartial source. Hillary is without doubt narcissistic also, but I'm sure he won't be giving us his diagnosis on her.

Exactly went back a bit and pretty much nin stop bashing of Trump. I don't like the man, but as you said not exactly an impartial source.

Coincidentally has Jon Oliver said anything about the DNC yet?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Hillary Clinton is itching for a war with Iran, the enemy of Saudi Arabia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

News just broke that Julian Assange is saying that Hillarys hacked emails contain evidence that she armed jihadists in Syria, including ISIS.

She's done if that turns out to be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

If I were a US citizen I would either abstain from voting or vote for Gary Johnson.

Trump flip flops on so many issues. He's not a Republican, he's a business tycoon who has supported both establishment parties in the past. There's no substance to the man, he's a populist.

lawlolawl wrote: »
    News just broke that Julian Assange is saying that Hillarys hacked emails contain evidence that she armed jihadists in Syria, including ISIS.

She's done if that turns out to be true.

Assange previously said she got a rush from killing people. No one cared.

He's still hiding under a desk somewhere, talking about how he has this info and that which will get her arrested.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Clinton got nearly four million more votes than sanders in the primaries.

She also got three million more votes than trump.

Of course Trump, was running against a considerably larger number of rivals for the nomination. Think it could go either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Do you live in the US? 'Cos if you live in Ireland Trump said he was gung ho on bringing jobs back from here to the US by making our tax regime less advantageous to attract US investment.

Hahahahaha he's the one who imports branded clothes from China and Mexico.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭ebbsy

What could be very bad for our economy was the fact that our stupid government were not open to welcoming Trump to Ireland.

They better hope he doesn't win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Someone who said trump is on tv all the time are right,its basically every minute about him,hes going to arrest Hillary,bring back jobs,make america no1 again - basically $hit that every politician promises in every country when they run for office.

Trump has advantage of speaking his mind out into peoples fears and anger-be it no jobs,wars,or racial disputes,thats what people feed on like some crap reality tv show.

But even if he gets into office,and tries to act on any claims he made,cant imagine any outcome,besides US economy going down hill,china arming themselves up,companies leaving us-he said he will force pfizer to stay or smth in that terms,then racial conflicts within country-if they have gun problems now,after hes in every family will have atomic bunkers and ton of guns on top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

This man is not fit to run his country or to have global influence. This is worth a read:

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/07/25/donald-trumps-ghostwriter-tells-all

That is deeply scary.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement