Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Decent Skin

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    Even liberal democrats admit America has issues with radical Islamic preachers in America. Salafi Wahhabi beliefs have been gaining ground in Mosques across America. It is by no means confined to America. Australia, Europe even in South East Asia and Africa they have radical clerics preaching hatred.

America has issues with radical Catholicism and pretty much everything else under the sun, FFS!

I'd actually be surprised if there were moderates left over there, especially when muppets like Trump stir the easily-led sheep up to further their own agenda under the pretence of "representing them".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2015/PPP_Release_TX_81616.pdf

Recent poll results from Texas. Trump is in the lead by a good 6%. The scary thing for trump is Romney took Texas 4 years ago by 16%. And in a straight up poll 6% are currently undecided. Trump needs to get that 6% or at least get a number of them to stay at home. While I'm not saying he will not win Texas if he not careful it could be very close.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Penn wrote: »
    I think the only thing that can save Trump's campaign now is if he releases his tax returns and proves how honest he truly is. They'll show he really is as wealthy as he says, pays the proper amount of tax and has no ties to off-shore and particularly Russian interests.

I'm sure he's just finalising the last part to make sure it's all in order and he'll release his tax returns right when Hilary least expects it. That'll shut all the dishonest media up too.

Go Don! Put all the rumours to rest and show you have nothing to hide!

He says because he is under tax audit he can't but there is precedent, Nixon.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

InTheTrees wrote: »
    This reminds me of the Outrage felt by right wingers in 2008 when Sarah Palin was so unfairly attacked by the press when they asked her if she ever read any newspapers.

Then it came out afterwards that Palin was a disaster, no harm to her but not the brightest. NYT are already reporting the campaign team are exasperated Trump keeps going off the agreed message. He loves the adulation he gets at rallies so plays up to them but forgets he isn't addressing them, he has to win over Independent voters and undecideds.

Ego and self interest winning out over advice and experience. Not admirable characteristics in a President.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Stumbled on this the other day, and it's a pretty good reminder of what kind of foreign policy expertise we can expect if Trump were to win...

Stephen Colbert summed Trump's apparent lack of expertise on anything related to a role such as President and why anyone would still support him quite recently: "These legitimately angry voters don’t need a leader to say things that are true or feel true. They need a leader to feel things that feel feels."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

K-9 wrote: »
    Then it came out afterwards that Palin was a disaster, no harm to her but not the brightest. NYT are already reporting the campaign team are exasperated Trump keeps going off the agreed message. He loves the adulation he gets at rallies so plays up to them but forgets he isn't addressing them, he has to win over Independent voters and undecideds.

Ego and self interest winning out over advice and experience. Not admirable characteristics in a President.

Neither is accepting donations from foreign powers that mean your country harm.

Neither is accepting donations from foreign powers that mean your country harm.

So you support neither, good choice.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2015/PPP_Release_TX_81616.pdf

Recent poll results from Texas. Trump is in the lead by a good 6%. The scary thing for trump is Romney took Texas 4 years ago by 16%. And in a straight up poll 6% are currently undecided. Trump needs to get that 6% or at least get a number of them to stay at home. While I'm not saying he will not win Texas if he not careful it could be very close.

New York, Florida and Ohio have huge Trump support groups. It is by no means Clinton countryside anymore, political allegiances have changed since the 60's. Russians, Armenians, Cubans & Afro Caribbean's have a say in this election.

New York, Florida and Ohio have huge Trump support groups. It is by no means Clinton countryside anymore, political allegiances have changed since the 60's. Russians, Armenians, Cubans & Afro Caribbean's have a say in this election.

New York Clinton ahead 25% Florida 9% Ohio 4%. In Texas the only demographic Trump is ahead is white old people, the Republican Party are lining up a whole heap of trouble because of trump in 2020 and beyond.

What makes me wonder is his supports are so blind they can not see the problems, Trump had the perfect opposition to win this election and he pissed it away and his supports are doing themselves and him no favours not accepting that simple fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

New York Clinton ahead 25% Florida 9% Ohio 4%. In Texas the only demographic Trump is ahead is white old people, the Republican Party are lining up a whole heap of trouble because of trump in 2020 and beyond.
    New York!? :pac:

Talk about being detached from reality... http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/ny/new_york_trump_vs_clinton-5792.html

• Advertisement

Billy86 wrote: »

That's what I can't understand with these people to say of all states (Trumps home state) that he is within a hundred miles of carrying or even close to it on current polls, is just madness. How can anyone take such claims seriously it means everything these people say is either lies or trolling.

You can't keep placing all this on Trump it was Republican policies that have caused major turmoil Trump represents those that were never part of the decision making process in the pre Obama years. You are making the mistake of lumping him in with all the other Republicans when a lot of his supporters come from Democrats that have left the party and third party candidates that have no chance of being put into power. That is an awful lot of turnover voters going against the establishment and going for a new choice similarly to Theodore Roosevelt, Abraham Lincoln, JFK & Reagan.

The president only has so much power so the electorate knows that a Trump presidency will be limited and he would only be in office for one term whereas after Clinton is elected where do the Democrats turn to for the next election down the line maybe another Clinton. Listen it might seem as though I am a big fan of Trump but the situation is this Trump has ignited this election and his platform of keeping America safe actually resonates with the world unlike Clinton. As many of her critics have stated, she is more likely to cause a war than Trump is.

You can't keep placing all this on Trump it was Republican policies that have caused major turmoil Trump represents those that were never part of the decision making process in the pre Obama years. You are making the mistake of lumping him in with all the other Republicans when a lot of his supporters come from Democrats that have left the party and third party candidates that have no chance of being put into power. That is an awful lot of turnover voters going against the establishment and going for a new choice similarly to Theodore Roosevelt, Abraham Lincoln, JFK & Reagan.

The president only has so much power so the electorate knows that a Trump presidency will be limited and he would only be in office for one term whereas after Clinton is elected where do the Democrats turn to for the next election down the line maybe another Clinton. Listen it might seem as though I am a big fan of Trump but the situation is this Trump has ignited this election and his platform of keeping America safe actually resonates with the world unlike Clinton. As many of her critics have stated, she is more likely to cause a war than Trump is.

Make America safe even though America has been safer every year for past 30 years. Make America safe even though blue killings are less now than in the 80's and the only year it exceeded the early 80's was 2001. my only issue with trump (bar the fact he is a liar and no experience) is he and his followers threw away a winnable election. for example you threw out New York and said he has support there when he in his home town is so far behind its scary and in Texas a solid red state he is only 6 ahead 4 years ago it was 16 points ahead for the republican.

Also it was always open to Trump to avoid Republican bias and run independently, and who else can anyone place it on its trumps election his fault.

Trump wants to send 3 of those 4 "home".

Not sure if that includes himself and his wives, mind - it's all very contradictory and confusing, which tends to happen when one has no actual principles and spouts rubbish and rhetoric in order to get attention

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

unlike Clinton. As many of her critics have stated, she is more likely to cause a war than Trump is.

That historic deal between Obama and Iran. It was founded on the understanding between them that Iran negotiate with Obama now. leaving them less open in the corsair when Hillary Clinton IS the president of the United States.

Iran knows well she has been salivating at the thought of war with them. And they're taking no chances. strengthening bonds with Russia as we speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

my only issue with trump (bar the fact he is a liar and no experience) is he and his followers threw away a winnable election.

Its really strange that he doesn't seem to be trying at all.

He doesn't seem to be paying attention to swing states and he's not trying to appeal to anyone outside his base.

It makes no sense.

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Its really strange that he doesn't seem to be trying at all.

He doesn't seem to be paying attention to swing states and he's not trying to appeal to anyone outside his base.

It makes no sense.

There are only two options 1 he never wanted it or 2 it's true what people have been saying he really is that stupid. I have never met him so I have no idea, I suppose there is a third option his ego won't let him do the clever thing he won the first battle but he won't change the plan to win the war.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

I actually don't think he wants to win. Between his phenomal ignorance/racism/misogyny/inciting hatred/encouraging violence both online and in person, coupled with the use of reality TV people as his main surrogates and spokespersons, the whole thing almost has a Truman Show quality to it. Truman however is the foaming hordes of fascists that have grown to considerable numbers in America. The world is left watching and wondering what kind of lunatic votes for this sort of individual.

Trump will lose by a huge margin and go back to television work whilst the maniacs that genuinely thing him suitable to be President will proclaim it was fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

And yet not as large as the number of Republicans who are switching over to Hillary and going against their own establishment.

So yeah, the fault for that lies solely with Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

These two nominees have something of myth about them. They're both up against the only person they could beat. They're both unusual for their party (Clinton is far more to the right than most Democrats, and Trump...works on his own map.) and yet there's an element of extreme examples of their own party too. Clinton is a woman, she's part of the Establishment, she's an old campaigner that knows where the bodies are buried and has a few skeletons of her own (I mean that metaphorically, just in case anyone runs off with the Clintons-as-serial-assassins notion again, seriously, where did that one even come from?). Trump is a semi-independent "self-funded" billionaire (or millionaire, who knows) who, as it turns out, appears to have much of the financial acumen of an egg but is still fabulously wealthy and loves to show it. He's quite blindingly racist and..well, sorry to the few Trumpets in here, but also quite dumb. They're on the one hand barely of their party at all, and on the other, half the stereotypes that's given to their respective parties.

I've not particularly hidden that I am Unsure about Clinton. I suspect to some extent she has been unfairly vilified by the likes of Trump and some of the dirtiest electioneering that's ever been blatantly public in a democratic(ish) election. I reckon she's tough and ruthless, but I don't reckon she's actually evil. I've seen no evidence for it so far anyway, only a lot of accusations. It isn't a good thing though that Trump is so demanding the limelight that the questions can't get asked.

Actually, on the note of racism, KingBrian, I think you asked me earlier if I was buying into that Trump said that all Mexicans are rapists. That's not the accusation being levelled at him in general, so I'm going to correct that slightly. Is Trump spreading racist guff about Mexican immigrants - and yes, he is. It's a subtle enough difference, but it is an important one.

To take his own words:
    "When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best. They're not sending you. They're not sending you. They're sending people that have a lot of problems and they're bringing those problems with us (sic, presumably "to us" was intended). They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people."

"The Mexican government is smarter, much sharper, much more cunning. And they send the bad ones over because they don't want to pay for them. They don't want to take care of them."

His..ah..proof of this when asked his sources was an article that talked about rape of female asylum seekers and immigrants by human traffickers, gang members, other migrants or government forces, to which he responded;

"Well, someone's doing the raping! I mean someone's doing it! Who's doing the raping? Who's doing the raping?"

So yes, he did not stand up and say "All Mexicans are rapists!" Is -that- the bar we're actually setting for him? Using a hammer instead of a mace? He strongly implied, and in fact said, that the ordinary Hispanic people living in some of the most pro-Trump states, are rapists, drug-smugglers and criminals sent over by the Mexican government like sleeper agents so they don't have to deal with them. That is really, really not any better.

• Advertisement

Samaris wrote: »
    "Well, someone's doing the raping! I mean someone's doing it! Who's doing the raping? Who's doing the raping?"

That was my favourite of the Trump/ZappBrannigan images
    http://i.imgur.com/9SsKksw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    I actually don't think he wants to win. Between his phenomal ignorance/racism/misogyny/inciting hatred/encouraging violence both online and in person, coupled with the use of reality TV people as his main surrogates and spokespersons, the whole thing almost has a Truman Show quality to it. Truman however is the foaming hordes of fascists that have grown to considerable numbers in America. The world is left watching and wondering what kind of lunatic votes for this sort of individual.

Trump will lose by a huge margin and go back to television work whilst the maniacs that genuinely thing him suitable to be President will proclaim it was fixed

Trump is on track to be the biggest loser in American election history.

This is not something that he wants. The man craves attention but he's also a narcissist who would be deeply upset at the thought of public humiliation on the scale he is facing in November.

I think he's more likely to make an excuse to drop out before the election date than to go to the polls and be humiliated

'The media is not treating me fairly'

'The Election will be rigged'

'Being president will be too much of a pay cut, I've got better things to do'

It's the whole thing about the election being rigged and asking people to keep an eye on election halls to make sure people aren't voting more than once that's by far the most dangerous thing coming out of his mouth lately.

What if some people do decide to watch over an election hall and mistakenly believe someone is attempting to vote twice? What if they decide to stop someone from trying to vote? How will they try to stop it?

He's setting up something which could prove to be incredibly dangerous simply because he doesn't want to show that he might lose the election based on only his own failures.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The republican election machine has been challenging votes for years now.

It's actually written into the law in most states that there are official 'challengers' at polling stations usually appointed by the political parties , and in some states, any registered voter can 'challenge' the eligibility of any other voter.

It's lunacy that this is allowed. It's naked voter intimidation and voter suppression.

They have crews at the polling station who can challenge the voter eligibility of anyone they think they can get away with. (Blacks and mexicans and other groups that are overwhelmingly likely to vote democrat) If the voter can't prove that he is eligible to the satisfaction of the election judge, he might leave without voting, or he might he get a 'provisional ballot' and that ballot is much more likely to be spoiled

Penn wrote: »
    What if some people do decide to watch over an election hall and mistakenly believe someone is attempting to vote twice? What if they decide to stop someone from trying to vote? How will they try to stop it?

"Second Amendment, folks....." (raises palms "innocently")

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

If there wasn't one already, the rift has widened between Trump and the GOP:
    Donald Trump has hired Breitbart News’s Stephen Bannon as CEO and promoted pollster Kellyanne Conway to campaign manager in a shakeup that represents a demotion for the Republican nominee’s campaign chairman, Paul Manafort.

Breitbart no less :D

All he needs now is to hire Julian Assange as his Master of Whispers and he'll have his full Small Council.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Donald Trump has hired Breitbart News s Stephen Bannon as CEO and promoted pollster Kellyanne Conway to campaign manager in a shakeup that represents a demotion for the Republican nominee s campaign chairman, Paul Manafort.

He is demoting Manafort because his ties with Russia are now known by everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

He should have hired John Barron.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

He just doesn't get it does he?

Ok credit where its due somewhat, he was 100/1 to be the republican nomination and he got it, so while we may have found his methods loathsome at the time they worked very well.

However he hasn't grasped he can't win the election just by preaching to the converted, this is basically Trump saying FU to those who are saying that and surrounding himself with sycophants.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement