Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 LogicusRex

It's interesting.
    With Trump the Republicans have selected the only candidate that Hillary can beat.
    He also makes us all nostalgic for George W

At the end of the day more people hate Trump that Clinton so she should win.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

LogicusRex wrote: »
    It's interesting.
    With Trump the Republicans have selected the only candidate that Hillary can beat.

Well, he is the master of his own doom. He measures his success by the reaction of the crowd at his rallies and cannot comprehend that the outside world might view his comments differently than his rabid, foam at the mouth fanbois and girls.
    So at his rally he can be misogynistic, racist, bigoted, obnoxious and generally a deeply hateful and unpleasant person. But while the crowd there would cheer and wet their knickers over him no matter what he does, the outside world will look at his antics and slowly people are beginning to say "hang on there a minute, what did he just say?"
    It is true, Donald J could indeed shoot someone on 5th Avenue and his braindead followers would cheer him on and probably become even more fervent and rabid, but what he (thankfully) doesn't understand is the fact that to capture the masses one has to have a more moderate approach.
    The more foam at the mouth extremist someone is, the fewer followers he/she will have as normal people will look upon them with disgust.
    Hitler succeeded because times were desperate enough that too many people would vote for anyone promising them an improvement in their lives, but nowadays there are enough people in the US who have it good enough without having to resort to voting for a lunatic as a last measure of desperation.
    Trump appeals to angry, pissed off rednecks pretty much exclusively, which is extremely funny, because how did a pampered, soft multi-millionaire born with a silver spoon in his mouth persuade the "dey took er jerbs!" crowd that he is on their side? A little hint. If you are poor and disenfranchised and you think Trump has ANYTHING in common with you or or cares even a jot for you, you really should borrow the family braincell and think about that for a bit.
    Also, he will find it very difficult to win without the backing of women and minorities as well as the educated classes. In other words, he cannot win if only pissed off rednecks vote for him. Case closed.

Eloquently put Doc.

It seems some of the tea party types might be behind him by default. As you correctly point out anyone with an above room temperature IQ will run the other way.
    This could be the first "rise of the third parties" election.
    It isn't written anywhere that democrats and republicans have a divine right to rule.

Eloquently put Doc.

It seems some of the tea party types might be behind him by default. As you correctly point out anyone with an above room temperature IQ will run the other way.
    This could be the first "rise of the third parties" election.
    It isn't written anywhere that democrats and republicans have a divine right to rule.

Indeed.
    What I find of particular interest is that Hillary is keeping a low enough profile, she's just plugging away while The Donald is becoming ever more hysterical and outrageous, I suspect as an attempt to make up lost ground.
    This could be the first campaign that is won by an opponent not reacting and simply waiting whilst the other guy goes down like the Hindenburg.

edit:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/19/park-the-bus-tactics-needed-for-a-us-election-race-thats-become/
    GOP politico: "I would say the Trump campaign is a dumpster fire; but it's not a campaign, and it would be unfair to dumpster fires."
    — Bob Bishop (@rbgidcouk) August 19, 2016

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Indeed.
    What I find of particular interest is that Hillary is keeping a low enough profile, she's just plugging away while The Donald is becoming ever more hysterical and outrageous, I suspect as an attempt to make up lost ground.
    This could be the first campaign that is won by an opponent not reacting and simply waiting whilst the other guy goes down like the Hindenburg.

edit:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/19/park-the-bus-tactics-needed-for-a-us-election-race-thats-become/

:D:D:D
    Is this the first time that "There's no such thing as bad publicity" has been proven wrong? :eek: :D

• Advertisement

Is this the first time that "There's no such thing as bad publicity" has been proven wrong? :eek: :D

Depends if you can make both ends meat... ;):D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's interesting.
    I wouldn't go that far but yeah She'll have it far easier

Anyone care to bet when Mr Clinton gets some sympathy inducing Alzheimer's or similar, which will conveniently mean no tricky questions ?

I wouldn't go that far but yeah She'll have it far easier

Anyone care to bet when Mr Clinton gets some sympathy inducing Alzheimer's or similar, which will conveniently mean no tricky questions ?
    Mister? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I don't like Trump I think he's using the Republican Party to venture on a vanity project. It's a shocking indictment of the Republican Party that they could not produce a genuine player in the Primaries. Ted Cruz was just way too conservative for me, I also thought he was a complete phony with his cheesy smiles and grins.

The one thing myself and Trump could relate on is the illegal immigration issue in the States. Now I don't want to build a wall but I do believe that the Mexican government should pay to secure the border on their side. It's their issue not the States, illegal immigration drives down the wages for blue collar workers. Plus the fact that illegals are not paying any formal income tax obviously.

A country has right to defend its borders and protect its economy.

I only hope that Europe isn't falling the same way with the illegal immigrant crisis raging at the moment from northern Africa and the middle east. The added thing of course in our situation is that they're bring a different faith with them also. A faith which is not too compatible with Jews and Christians.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Mister? :confused:
    Slick Willy

• Advertisement

I only hope that Europe isn't falling the same way with the illegal immigrant crisis raging at the moment from northern Africa and the middle east. The added thing of course in our situation is that they're bring a different faith with them also. A faith which is not too compatible with Jews and Christians.

While there is much in what you say we need to be careful this thread doesn't get hijacked. Once you let this genie out of the bottle look out.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Everybody expected Trump would have the basic common sense to lessen the crazy stuff after he won the GOP nomination, eveh his own supporters did. Republicans who were prepared to give him a chance are now baulking at voting for him and even some of his supporters from the start are getting second thoughts.

He gave a good speech saying he has made mistakes but everybody knows that was probably a campaign drafted speech and like he has done before, he'll go on one sometime soon. As the Democrats said, you can't trust this guy on Twitter never mind being a President.

Campaigns have been turned around before but I suspect the damage is done by now, people know what he is like and don't trust him.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The one thing myself and Trump could relate on is the illegal immigration issue in the States. Now I don't want to build a wall but I do believe that the Mexican government should pay to secure the border on their side. It's their issue not the States, illegal immigration drives down the wages for blue collar workers. Plus the fact that illegals are not paying any formal income tax obviously.

Why should the Mexican government pay for their border security when it's not a problem for them. It's the US problem that illegal workers are able to be there because they're able to earn money from unscrupulous employers who want untaxed workers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

It's interesting.

Well, he is the master of his own doom. He measures his success by the reaction of the crowd at his rallies and cannot comprehend that the outside world might view his comments differently than his rabid, foam at the mouth fanbois and girls.
    So at his rally he can be misogynistic, racist, bigoted, obnoxious and generally a deeply hateful and unpleasant person. But while the crowd there would cheer and wet their knickers over him no matter what he does, the outside world will look at his antics and slowly people are beginning to say "hang on there a minute, what did he just say?"
    It is true, Donald J could indeed shoot someone on 5th Avenue and his braindead followers would cheer him on and probably become even more fervent and rabid, but what he (thankfully) doesn't understand is the fact that to capture the masses one has to have a more moderate approach.
    The more foam at the mouth extremist someone is, the fewer followers he/she will have as normal people will look upon them with disgust.
    Hitler succeeded because times were desperate enough that too many people would vote for anyone promising them an improvement in their lives, but nowadays there are enough people in the US who have it good enough without having to resort to voting for a lunatic as a last measure of desperation.
    Trump appeals to angry, pissed off rednecks pretty much exclusively, which is extremely funny, because how did a pampered, soft multi-millionaire born with a silver spoon in his mouth persuade the "dey took er jerbs!" crowd that he is on their side? A little hint. If you are poor and disenfranchised and you think Trump has ANYTHING in common with you or or cares even a jot for you, you really should borrow the family braincell and think about that for a bit.
    Also, he will find it very difficult to win without the backing of women and minorities as well as the educated classes. In other words, he cannot win if only pissed off rednecks vote for him. Case closed.

While she doesn't go off the rails in the same way and actually has policies, albeit fairly conservative unexciting policies and when she is off the cuff she makes some weird remarks, Hillary clearly has advisors she listens too.

Who actually wants her as president? With the leaks about the democratic selection process in particular tainting the results.
    She will win but will her administration be functional and last? You can't view half the electorate in the way posters on here view the Republicans and have a functional system, the stuff that gives her an edge in winning the election now like tacit support for BLM will hangover her for non minorities, similarly her hawkish nature doesn't appeal to the democratic base.
    She has to govern as well as win and I think that will be her real challenge.

As an aside the way the supreme court is being brought up shows massive issues in the system, it shouldn't be progressive vs conservative judges it's meant to be about the reach of the constitution not whatever ideology can stack the court

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

Seems to be a lot of anti-Hilary people mysteriously dropping dead these last few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Decent Skin

Letree wrote: »
    Seems to be a lot of anti-Hilary people mysteriously dropping dead these last few weeks.

Seems like a topic for a Hilary thread, but do fill us in; what's the "mysteriously" refer to ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

• Registered Users Posts: 19,763 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Good - can't wait until that p***k plays a part in the loss of one of the worst Republican candidates of all time.

Hannity is Top Dog over in Bullsh*t mountain.

Why should the Mexican government pay for their border security when it's not a problem for them. It's the US problem that illegal workers are able to be there because they're able to earn money from unscrupulous employers who want untaxed workers.
    That and about 164,345 deaths in the drug wars because of US drug users.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

That and about 164,345 deaths in the drug wars because of US drug users.

I don’t see how a wall will help this much.

Either they find a way around/over/under the wall meaning there’d be little change or the wall reduces access and curtails demand resulting in increased fighting amongst gangs, who are now competing for a smaller customer base.

• Advertisement

John Oliver has a new message for Donathan :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

John Oliver has a new message for Donathan :D

John Oliver is a nice bloke but he is essentially saying just let Hillary get elected with no opposition and that Trump is going to be running the country by himself. That maybe what happened under the Bush years, the country was at war. Congress holds a lot of power but refuses to divest that power or enact legislation for the betterment of the American citizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

He disnae give two hoots aboot 'global warming' anyway.

I adore his hair though. I'd love to ask for 'the Trump' if I had hair.

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    John Oliver is a nice bloke but he is essentially saying just let Hillary get elected with no opposition and that Trump is going to be running the country by himself. That maybe what happened under the Bush years, the country was at war. Congress holds a lot of power but refuses to divest that power or enact legislation for the betterment of the American citizen.
    Ah, I doubt he expects it to be taken seriously, it's great satire and very funny. The addition of the kids book just makes it funnier. I wonder is that where it all started?

Without John Oliver, this campaign would be very dreary indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

he is essentially saying just let Hillary get elected with no opposition

He's saying that Clinton is a better prospect than Trump, and he's right.

You may not like her, but in what areas would life be better for American citizens, diplomacy or trade, if Trump was is charge?

The man and his idiot cheerleaders want to build a wall, limit free trade and isolate themselves from the rest of the world. And expect the world to pay for it too... that's the real kicker.

If someone on the left wanted to do such things, his supporters would be fizzing at the slit because 'de dirty communists want more control over our lives'

If Bungle from Rainbow was running against Trump, people like John Oliver still wouldn't side with him, and his supporters would still be going on about walls and hands and posting dank memes; instead of asking themselves why a guy in a bear costume wanted to be president.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭briany

Unfortunately, John Oliver is probably the walking definition of what some Trump supporters would define as a 'cuck'. I can't shake the feeling that his show mainly appeals to the people who weren't going to vote for Trump anyway. Preaching to the liberal/left-wing choir, in other words.

Seth Meyers was much stronger in his Anyone-but-Trump (e.g. Hilary) message to the Bernie Sanders die-hards.

His plea did not go down particularly well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

You may not like her, but in what areas would life be better for American citizens, diplomacy or trade, if Trump was is charge?

It could potentially be better in terms of foreign policy. Clinton is more likely to go in for backroom dalings with such things as TTIP and on the whole more likely to get into wars (directly or indirectly) with Russia. The idea of America being able to control the world (and that this is a good thing) seems to sit strong with her.

But Trump is a loud idiot, and you can never trust what he is going to say or do - and that is pretty much the opposite of what you want from a POTUS. In general I don't think he knows what he talks about, but much worse, I don't think he is able to recognise or admit his limitations.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

briany wrote: »
    Unfortunately, John Oliver is probably the walking definition of what some Trump supporters would define as a 'cuck'. I can't shake the feeling that his show mainly appeals to the people who weren't going to vote for Trump anyway. Preaching to the liberal/left-wing choir, in other words.

Seth Meyers was much stronger in his Anyone-but-Trump (e.g. Hilary) message to the Bernie Sanders die-hards.

His plea did not go down particularly well.

Oliver and Meyers definitely don’t appeal to Trump’s base but they, along with the likes of Colbert and the other late night shows, do have a great reach into college educated voters (including republican and independents), where Trump is getting destroyed. Romney beat Obama by amongst college graduated whites by 14% with Clinton polling ahead of Trump between 9%-14% in that demographic.

Given the continued shift amongst whites, college educated now being about the same numbers as non college educated, these late night satire shows aren’t something that can be ignored as just hitting the democratic base (like you could say about Fox news or MSNBC).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭briany

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Oliver and Meyers definitely don’t appeal to Trump’s base but they, along with the likes of Colbert and the other late night shows, do have a great reach into college educated voters (including republican and independents), where Trump is getting destroyed. Romney beat Obama by amongst college graduated whites by 14% with Clinton polling ahead of Trump between 9%-14% in that demographic.

Given the continued shift amongst whites, college educated now being about the same numbers as non college educated, these late night satire shows aren’t something that can be ignored as just hitting the democratic base (like you could say about Fox news or MSNBC).

Trump's campaign seems to have the foundation of support from the under-educated. He even said in one of his primary victory speeches, "God bless the poorly educated.". No surprise that he'd be losing in the demographic of college-educated, although I'm there must be some there as well. Being college-educated doesn't automatically mean politically informed or immune to hyperbole and guff, or just plain being sick of the system, wanting to take a punt on a madman like Trump. So far he's done pretty well even if he's not picking up the votes with any of the crowd who'd watch Oliver et al. The question is whether those late night satire shows will have any real effect on the polls, or if they're just an echo chamber of sorts, convincing people not to a direction they were never going to anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Interesting programme last night on C4 about the prospect of a Trump Presidency, he's promising all the white redneck voters in the small towns in the middle of nowhere that he'll have jobs for them all and they actually believe it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement