Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

briany wrote: »
    Trump's campaign seems to have the foundation of support from the under-educated. He even said in one of his primary victory speeches, "God bless the poorly educated.". No surprise that he'd be losing in the demographic of college-educated, although I'm there must be some there as well. Being college-educated doesn't automatically mean politically informed or immune to hyperbole and guff, or just plain being sick of the system, wanting to take a punt on a madman like Trump. So far he's done pretty well even if he's not picking up the votes with any of the crowd who'd watch Oliver et al. The question is whether those late night satire shows will have any real effect on the polls, or if they're just an echo chamber of sorts, convincing people not to a direction they were never going to anyway.

He hasn’t done pretty well, he’s currently standing at a 28% negative swing compared to the last Republican candidate (who lost the election which wasn’t even close). Given how bad a candidate Hillary is and how entrenched Americans are usually to their party, it is a terrible performance.

I don’t see how they could be deemed as echo chambers; aside from Oliver the others have nightly entertainment shows that have wide ranging audiences and pretty much take up most of the TV viewership at that timeslot.

Polls are actually showing correlation between education levels in a given State and their support for Trump, he’s doing better in swing States where there’s a lower percentage that are college educated and poorly in the swing States that have higher. Similarly the historically red States that have suddenly come into play this cycle happen to be those with the highest percentage of college education. It doesn’t mean that education is definitely the cause but it definitely adds to the general thinking on the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Interesting programme last night on C4 about the prospect of a Trump Presidency, he's promising all the white redneck voters in the small towns in the middle of nowhere that he'll have jobs for them all and they actually believe it.

To be fair, those are one of the very, very, very few types of Trump supporters with 'legitimate' reasons to support him (I put it in tags because he won't give it to them - but they need hope to latch onto someone and feel the establishment has continuously screwed them so won't go with Clinton and didn't with the other Republican candidates as a result).

I would definitely call it misguided hope but it's still a legitimate reason, unlike the people simply doing so for racist or bigoted reasons, and especially unlike the ones doing so for racist or bigoted reasons that pretend not to be behind Trump for racist of bigoted reasons (you'll find those ones throughout most of the Trump threads even on here, though one of the better examples got deleted after a Trump fan removed the mask and went all-out about the inherent genetic superiority of the white male over others).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Billy86 wrote: »
    To be fair, those are one of the very, very, very few types of Trump supporters with 'legitimate' reasons to support him (I put it in tags because he won't give it to them - but they need hope to latch onto someone and feel the establishment has continuously screwed them so won't go with Clinton and didn't with the other Republican candidates as a result).

I would definitely call it misguided hope but it's still a legitimate reason, unlike the people simply doing so for racist or bigoted reasons, and especially unlike the ones doing so for racist or bigoted reasons that pretend not to be behind Trump for racist of bigoted reasons (you'll find those ones throughout most of the Trump threads even on here, though one of the better examples got deleted after a Trump fan removed the mask and went all-out about the inherent genetic superiority of the white male over others).

Their is a bit of a contradiction. Trump has absolutely nothing, zero in common with a white supremacist. In Trump's daily activity he has to meet different people, engage in conversations with adoring fans, violent protestors and a media and competitors that want to take you down and steal your profits. The White Supremacist is only interested in hating most people, stockpiling weapons for a future war and having network of friendly KKK people coming around to plan parties. Not what I would call the average Trump voter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    Their is a bit of a contradiction. Trump has absolutely nothing, zero in common with a white supremacist. In Trump's daily activity he has to meet different people, engage in conversations with adoring fans, violent protestors and a media and competitors that want to take you down and steal your profits. The White Supremacist is only interested in hating most people, stockpiling weapons for a future war and having network of friendly KKK people coming around to plan parties. Not what I would call the average Trump voter.

Is this suppose to be satire?

Trump and his staff have made a litany of racist statements in person and on social media.

Upon rereading I think this is satire.

• Advertisement

I never called Trump a white supremacist so not sure where you got that notion, but then again given your 'readings' on Trumps calls for banning all Muslims, it's fair to say you're not all that interested in reality, consistency, or any attempts at reasonable and honest conversation.

But now that you mention it...
    The White Supremacist is only interested in hating most people,
    Trump is at near record levels of unfavourability amongst pretty much all minorities, due to his hateful statements against black people, against Muslims, against Mexicans, against women, against the disabled, and probably plenty more.
    stockpiling weapons for a future war
    "I’m going to make our military so big, so powerful, so strong, that nobody — absolutely nobody — is going to mess with us,”
    - Donald Trump.

They have some in Syria, some in Iraq. I would bomb the s--- out of 'em. I would just bomb those suckers. That's right. I'd blow up the pipes. ... I'd blow up every single inch. There would be nothing left. And you know what, you'll get Exxon to come in there and in two months, you ever see these guys, how good they are, the great oil companies? They’ll rebuild that sucker, brand new — it'll be beautiful."
    - Donald Trump.
    and having network of friendly KKK people coming around to plan parties. Not what I would call the average Trump voter.
    He's not having them over for parties, but he's definitely not shouting at them to get off his damn lawn, like he is with so many non white males.

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/donald-trump-and-the-ku-klux-klan-a-history
    In November, on a weekend in which he said that a black protester, at a rally in Alabama, deserved to be “roughed up,” Trump retweeted a graphic composed of false racist statistics on crime; the graphic, it was discovered, originated from a neo-Nazi account that used as its profile image a variation on the swastika. In January, he retweeted the account “@WhiteGenocideTM,” which identified its location as “Jewmerica.” Shortly before the Iowa caucuses, a pro-Trump robocall featured several white supremacists, including the author Jared Taylor, who told voters, “We don’t need Muslims. We need smart, well-educated white people.” Each time Trump was asked on Twitter about his white nationalist supporters, the candidate, who is ready to respond, day or night, to critics of his debating style or his golf courses, simply ignored the question.

Oh, and that whole little thing about his dad taking part in actual KKK rallies... https://img.washingtonpost.com/wp-apps/imrs.php?src=https://img.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/files/2016/02/Fred_News.jpg&w=1484

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Is this suppose to be satire?

Trump and his staff have made a litany of racist statements in person and on social media.

Upon rereading I think this is satire.

I'm being genuine. Trump represents a lot of people in the border regions of America that has a huge human trafficking crisis in Mexico.

Sadly the self parody and satire is unintentional with this one. As anybody who hasn't gone out of their way to convince themselves otherwise knows, there are more Mexicans leaving the US than entering for a good decade or so by now - http://www.pewhispanic.org/2015/11/19/more-mexicans-leaving-than-coming-to-the-u-s/

Meanwhile up north, the Canadians more or less just get a laugh out of the citizens of Buffalo, Cleveland, Seattle, Minnesota, etc going the whole way up into their country to get some decent health care.

I never called Trump a white supremacist so not sure where you got that notion, but then again given your 'readings' on Trumps calls for banning all Muslims, it's fair to say you're not all that interested in reality, consistency, or any attempts at reasonable and honest conversation.

But now that you mention it...

Trump is at near record levels of unfavourability amongst pretty much all minorities, due to his hateful statements against black people, against Muslims, against Mexicans, against women, against the disabled, and probably plenty more.

"I’m going to make our military so big, so powerful, so strong, that nobody — absolutely nobody — is going to mess with us,”
    - Donald Trump.

They have some in Syria, some in Iraq. I would bomb the s--- out of 'em. I would just bomb those suckers. That's right. I'd blow up the pipes. ... I'd blow up every single inch. There would be nothing left. And you know what, you'll get Exxon to come in there and in two months, you ever see these guys, how good they are, the great oil companies? They’ll rebuild that sucker, brand new — it'll be beautiful."
    - Donald Trump.

He's not having them over for parties, but he's definitely not shouting at them to get off his damn lawn, like he is with so many non white males.

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/donald-trump-and-the-ku-klux-klan-a-history
    In November, on a weekend in which he said that a black protester, at a rally in Alabama, deserved to be “roughed up,” Trump retweeted a graphic composed of false racist statistics on crime; the graphic, it was discovered, originated from a neo-Nazi account that used as its profile image a variation on the swastika. In January, he retweeted the account “@WhiteGenocideTM,” which identified its location as “Jewmerica.” Shortly before the Iowa caucuses, a pro-Trump robocall featured several white supremacists, including the author Jared Taylor, who told voters, “We don’t need Muslims. We need smart, well-educated white people.” Each time Trump was asked on Twitter about his white nationalist supporters, the candidate, who is ready to respond, day or night, to critics of his debating style or his golf courses, simply ignored the question.

Oh, and that whole little thing about his dad taking part in actual KKK rallies... https://img.washingtonpost.com/wp-apps/imrs.php?src=https://img.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/files/2016/02/Fred_News.jpg&w=1484

Many Democrats over the centuries had links to the KKK before you start bringing up Trump's father. As for the Muslims he is talking about unlike the GOP est he is talking explicitly about the Jihadists, the Muslim Brotherhood which have their own interpretations of Islam. Trump is a lot less racist than many elected representatives in Washington by talking about the threat posed to America by this crowd. I don't know how anyone left or right could condemn Trump for his public remarks about the terror unleashed by the jihadists.

Sadly the self parody and satire is unintentional with this one. As anybody who hasn't gone out of their way to convince themselves otherwise knows, there are more Mexicans leaving the US than entering for a good decade or so by now - http://www.pewhispanic.org/2015/11/19/more-mexicans-leaving-than-coming-to-the-u-s/

Meanwhile up north, the Canadians more or less just get a laugh out of the citizens of Buffalo, Cleveland, Seattle, Minnesota, etc going the whole way up into their country to get some decent health care.

That NAFTA agreement has turned out to work really unwell for Mexico and America alike. The Mexicans return to a corrupt country steeped in poverty far worse than America.

• Advertisement

Many Democrats over the centuries had links to the KKK before you start bringing up Trump's father.
    Remind me which of these Democrats are running for President?

Or would that be too close to reality for you?
    As for the Muslims he is talking about unlike the GOP est he is talking explicitly about the Jihadists, the Muslim Brotherhood which have their own interpretations of Islam.
    Nope. You even said it in the politics cafe thread - he is talking about all Muslims and as you yourself said "America has a Muslim problem".

You've spoken out both sides of your mouth on this already.
    Trump is a lot less racist than many elected representatives in Washington by talking about the threat posed to America by this crowd. I don't know how anyone left or right could condemn Trump for his public remarks about the terror unleashed by the jihadists.
    Name them. Which elected Washington politicians have displayed more racism than Trump and explain why?

You clearly don't know what the word racist even means, going by the above. This is why people are asking if you are having a go at satire - you are literally failing at the basics of the English language. You're reaching so badly that whatever straws you are trying to grasp at are on the other side of town.

That NAFTA agreement has turned out to work really unwell for Mexico and America alike. The Mexicans return to a corrupt country steeped in poverty far worse than America.
    This is why people are asking if you are satire. Try actually addressing the fact that more Mexicans have been leaving the US than entering it for the last decade or so. Because that's the post you quoted, and it's something your post doesn't even hint at addressing.

I might as well respond 'Trump allegedly raped a child who might have even have been one of the many illegal immigrants he has employed through the years, so no wonder he wants all Mexicans gone'. It's a complete non sequitur and is entirely unrelated to what it is responding to.

It's an open rejection of the facts or reality, and frankly it's at the point where you seem to be so deep, deep down into a plethora of delusions that you are genuinely losing touch of reality.

Nope. You even said it in the politics cafe thread - he is talking about all Muslims and as you yourself said "America has a Muslim problem".

Name them. Which elected Washington politicians have displayed more racism than Trump and explain why?

You clearly don't know what the word racist even means, going by the above. This is why people are asking if you are having a go at satire - you are literally failing at the basics of the English language. You're reaching so badly that whatever straws you are trying to grasp at are on the other side of town.

Your the person that brought up his father, I was responding to you by responding that the Democratic party has a long history of Presidents being in the KKK so throwing that in the face of Trump is blatant hypocrisy.

This is why people are asking if you are satire. Try actually addressing the fact that more Mexicans have been leaving the US than entering it for the last decade or so. Because that's the post you quoted, and it's something your post doesn't even hint at addressing.

I might as well respond 'Trump allegedly raped a child who might have even have been one of the many illegal immigrants he has employed through the years, so no wonder he wants all Mexicans gone'. It's a complete non sequitur and is entirely unrelated to what it is responding to.

It's an open rejection of the facts or reality, and frankly it's at the point where you seem to be so deep, deep down into a plethora of delusions that you are genuinely losing touch of reality.

The allegations if their are any should be investigated in full but I should remind you Trump won a landslide victory in the GOP so the entire GOP in your opinion and many Americans are closet KKK members. That is a strong claim to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Your the person that brought up his father, I was responding to you by responding that the Democratic party has a long history of Presidents being in the KKK so throwing that in the face of Trump is blatant hypocrisy.

Have you ever heard of the Republicans' "Southern Strategy" which they began to use in the wake of the civil rights laws of the 1960s? That converted a lot of the racist "Dixiecrats" to the Republican Party.

At its peak about 15% of the USA eligible voters were in the KKK so going back generations and trying to use membership of democrats back then to make a candidate today seem less despicable is plain stupid.

Next you’ll be saying, ‘sure the founding fathers had slaves and Trump doesn’t, isn’t he great!!’.

Tell me Billy, I am quite interested in your view on this. Do you believe America has a Muslim problem? Forget Europe, the gulf states or anywhere else just concentrate on America for a moment.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    At its peak about 15% of the USA eligible voters were in the KKK so going back generations and trying to use membership of democrats back then to make a candidate today seem less despicable is plain stupid.

Next you’ll be saying, ‘sure the founding fathers had slaves and Trump doesn’t, isn’t he great!!’.

The guy was using his father attending a rally if that is true as evidence that Trump is a racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

The guy was using his father attending a rally if that is true as evidence that Trump is a racist.
    The Donald is a liar.

Trump claimed he learned a lot from him, went into business with him, and defended his racist business practices (settled discriminatory lawsuit in court). Doesn’t say he’s a racist but it’s relevant given the questionably racist comments he has made during the campaign.

Definitely more so than trying to tie back Democrats who are dead for generations.

• Advertisement

The Donald is a liar.

Not the important details and while running in a presidential campaign he is speaking to the masses. Hillary has lied also. She is the far worse of the two. She would cause a war if elected hell even Barack won against her and Bernie also did very well against her. Trump contrary to many is not the racist that he is being depicted as. Jihad i's, Mexican drug cartels and the KKK. They have no part to play in America politics. Now I am not for one moment saying they are involved in the political process. It is the case that Trump is being made out to be some dangerous person. He is very flexible on key issues.

• No to foreign wars.
    • Better relations with Russia, other allies. Egypt, India. Japan & Germany. Many Nations.
    • Opposition to bail the banks as a principle.
    • Less gvt red tape in starting a business.
    • He has talked a lot about having a world council of sort whereby all the nations would get together to talk about wiping out ISIS and trade deals.
    • Unlike the wacky fringe like Mr Limbaugh he does not want to leave the UN or start an Empire.
    • As people have already mentioned he spoke about bombing the Middle East. He was talking about ISIS and I say good luck to him. Don't see that as feasible but getting rid of that crowd I have no problem with.

Not the important details and while running in a presidential campaign he is speaking to the masses. Hillary has lied also. She is the far worse of the two. She would cause a war if elected hell even Barack won against her and Bernie also did very well against her. Trump contrary to many is not the racist that he is being depicted as. Jihad i's, Mexican drug cartels and the KKK. They have no part to play in America politics. Now I am not for one moment saying they are involved in the political process. It is the case that Trump is being made out to be some dangerous person. He is very flexible on key issues.

• No to foreign wars.
    • Better relations with Russia, other allies. Egypt, India. Japan & Germany. Many Nations.
    • Opposition to bail the banks as a principle.
    • Less gvt red tape in starting a business.
    • He has talked a lot about having a world council of sort whereby all the nations would get together to talk about wiping out ISIS and trade deals.
    • Unlike the wacky fringe like Mr Limbaugh he does not want to leave the UN or start an Empire.
    • As people have already mentioned he spoke about bombing the Middle East. He was talking about ISIS and I say good luck to him. Don't see that as feasible but getting rid of that crowd I have no problem with.
    Well if she lies, she's better at it than the Donathan. Fact checker has her much higher on the truth scale than him.

Much much higher. It's not even a contest.

It's funny that you have listed two of his 'policies' that are in direct contradiction with each other.

But he has words, the best words :D

Well if she lies, she's better at it than the Donathan. Fact checker has her much higher on the truth scale than him.

Much much higher. It's not even a contest.

It's funny that you have listed two of his 'policies' that are in direct contradiction with each other.

But he has words, the best words :D

That he does, that he does and nothing is stopping Hillary from making her mark. Distancing herself from the mistakes Obama has made. Is she going to improve on his reign or will we see a slide back to interventionism and globalization of the Clinton years remember Obama inherited a massive mess and many in his own party were against him so it kind of revealing that the Democratic party is not the only solution to the ailments of the free world.

No, no it's not. And you know that. And so does everyone reading this. Which leads me to wonder who you think you are actually fooling here? Get back to us when the Democrats have a candidate win their primaries on a platform largely made up of racist, who has had family members take part in KKK rallies.

Though out of interest, what Democratic presidents were in the KKK? If you're going to make that kind of claim you'll need to back it up with reputable sources. Reputable sources = not FOX, Breitbart, or some hack job conspiracy website.
    Tell me Billy, I am quite interested in your view on this. Do you believe America has a Muslim problem? Forget Europe, the gulf states or anywhere else just concentrate on America for a moment.
    No, it doesn't. Some people just want it to so they can coral the masses to do their bidding, such as winning the Republican nomination without actually having any real policies beyond 'ban Muslims and Mexicans'. But I do remember this...

Kingbrian2, June 3rd 2016: I have been consistent throughout. Trump has been opposed to Jihadism in America, Jihadism is the same as Islamism. Islamism is the rejection of American values and to be one is to repudiate the Republic. Trump's bellicose is directly at those extremists. People like you are grouping all the Muslims together and shouting Islamophobe, Islamophobe to your hearts content.

Kingbrian2, July 31st 2016: Yes I do stand by stating that remark because America does have a major problem with Muslims and it was during the Clinton years and lets face it Hillary has the same polices as her husband it was Bill your hero's tenure in power that Jihadists found it easy to obtain entry into the US.

You'll say anything that you think fits your argument, it's quite clear you have absolutely no moral input on this issue. The only input you have on this issue is "defend the Donald. Defend the Donald no matter what. No matter how much stupid stuff you say, no matter how many times you contradict yourself, no matter how desperately you have to reach to try and change the subject... just Defend the Donald, and ignore the rest". That's it. That is literally your entire input.

It does have issues with people being marginalised and stigmatised by association though. Another word for that is stereotyping. And negatively stereotyping people based on their race or religion is, simply put, discrimination.

That he does, that he does and nothing is stopping Hillary from making her mark. Distancing herself from the mistakes Obama has made. Is she going to improve on his reign or will we see a slide back to interventionism and globalization of the Clinton years remember Obama inherited a massive mess and many in his own party were against him so it kind of revealing that the Democratic party is not the only solution to the ailments of the free world.
    Global warming will be the battleground. Mark my words.

But The Donation doesn't believe in that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod- KingBrian2 do not post in this thread again.
    CMOTDibbler please stop making up stupid names for Donald Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,764 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

WTF is Trump thinking bringing Nigel Farage into his campaign?

It could be argued that he was behind Britain leaving the E.U. (I refuse to use that stupid media created name) but he is also one colossal gobsh*te.

I suppose its a case of doubling down...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

everlast75 wrote: »

It could be argued that he was behind Britain leaving the E.U. (I refuse to use that stupid media created name) but he is also one colossal gobsh*te.

I suppose its a case of doubling down...

Maybe he'll paint "We pay $X million to Mexico/China/NATO every week, let's spend it on tax breaks instead!" on his jet or any campaign buses he has.

Of course, he'll neglect to mention those tax breaks are only going to the mega-rich...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

He's a good public speaker which Trump is not so i think it was a good move by Trump to get him to speak. He can articulate what Trump can't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I think Boris Johnson, had more to do with Brexit winning than Farage.

Also, Farage isn't doing any favors for his image (after reusing Nazi propoganda), by backing Trump. A Trump rally is only one step removed from a KKK rally, seeing as he loves to use there propaganda so much.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement