Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

everlast75 wrote: »
    WTF is Trump thinking bringing Nigel Farage into his campaign?

It could be argued that he was behind Britain leaving the E.U. (I refuse to use that stupid media created name) but he is also one colossal gobsh*te.

I suppose its a case of doubling down...

The posh English accent provides a sense of legitimacy to the insane rhetoric which he spouts. It provides a degree of certainty for those present to transfer their worries on to him as he sounds like he knows what he is talking about (a bit like religion and these people are sheep). He is a good speaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭Hoop66

ken wrote: »
    CMOTDibbler please stop making up stupid names for Donald Trump.

^Easily the funniest post on this thread so far.

Farage is there as the follow up to Trump's "Mr Brexit" remarks i.e. his campaign's assertions that despite being way behind in the polls they're still totally going to win because "undercover voters". Seems he went over well. Which tells you all you need to know about the audience and their susceptibility to a certain type of populist nationalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Hoop66 wrote: »
    ^Easily the funniest post on this thread so far.

Farage is there as the follow up to Trump's "Mr Brexit" remarks i.e. his campaign's assertions that despite being way behind in the polls they're still totally going to win because "undercover voters". Seems he went over well. Which tells you all you need to know about the audience and their susceptibility to a certain type of populist nationalism.
    Ah here!

In my defence, I was just paraphrasing John Oliver. If you hadn't watched his video, I suppose you wouldn't get it. But I probably took it a bit too far. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Donald Trump is the gift that just keeps on giving for John Oliver, Seth Meyers, Trevor Noah et al. In fairness to them, they also take plenty of potshots at the Democratic nominee/convention/etcetera, but you couldn't make Trump up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

wes wrote: »
    I think Boris Johnson, had more to do with Brexit winning than Farage.

Also, Farage isn't doing any favors for his image (after reusing Nazi propoganda), by backing Trump. A Trump rally is only one step removed from a KKK rally, seeing as he loves to use there propaganda so much.

He didn't really talk up Trump whatsoever, just bragged about Brexit and a few quips at Hilary who he loathes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Arturo Bandini

A Trump rally is only one step removed from a KKK rally, seeing as he loves to use there propaganda so much.

I know in your mind you probably think you're being rational, but your post in nothing but dramatic crap. Trump's campaign may attract some racists, but to liken his rally to a KKK rally is pathetic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

everlast75 wrote: »
    WTF is Trump thinking bringing Nigel Farage into his campaign?

It could be argued that he was behind Britain leaving the E.U. (I refuse to use that stupid media created name) but he is also one colossal gobsh*te.

I think Boris Johnson, had more to do with Brexit winning than Farage.

Also, Farage isn't doing any favors for his image (after reusing Nazi propoganda), by backing Trump. A Trump rally is only one step removed from a KKK rally, seeing as he loves to use there propaganda so much.
    Farage won the referendum, not Boris. It is because of him the referendum happened and his arguments for years on immigration. Crucial to the victory for UK Independence.

Just saw Hillary lying about Farage. The woman can't stop lying and talking ****.

A Trump rally is only one step removed from a KKK rally, seeing as he loves to use there propaganda so much.

I know in your mind you probably think you're being rational, but your post in nothing but dramatic crap. Trump's campaign may attract some racists, but to liken his rally to a KKK rally is pathetic.
    Yeah. Never saw black people speaking openly at any KKK rally in my life. It is that type of propaganda that will make Trump win in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Yeah. Never saw black people speaking openly at any KKK rally in my life. It is that type of propaganda that will make Trump win in November.

Why would Klan members be at a Republican rally anyway. The Klan are Democrats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Farage won the referendum, not Boris. It is because of him the referendum happened and his arguments for years on immigration. Crucial to the victory for UK Independence.

Just saw Hillary lying about Farage. The woman can't stop lying and talking ****.

What was the lie?

• Advertisement

Maybe in the 1950's but not now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Maybe in the 1950's but not now.

I know, just a little rib on the Dems history.

Thankfully there is not much of a Klan left to speak of these days.

I know, just a little rib on the Dems history.

Thankfully there is not much of a Klan left to speak of these days.

I think any person with a tiny bit of political history would know that story. There is a reason the Democrates have a strong Irish connection.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/aug/24/nigel-farage-donald-trump-rally-hillary-clinton
    Farage stopped short of endorsing Trump outright, but added: “I will say this: if I was an American citizen, I wouldn’t vote for Hillary Clinton if you paid me!”
    No Nigel, because that would be illegal.

Can someone remind our American chums that Mr Farage has given up his UK job because of his nice little earner from the EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

What were the lies out of interest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭B_Wayne

I'm pretty confident that Trump is gonna crash and burn at this stage when it comes to the election. He's not a politician, he's just a terrible person and a pretty poor business man that is a popularity personality. He has engaged in racism, xenophobia and just generally hateful rhetoric.

People will claim all of the above is him 'not being pc', not being pc means reverting to attitudes that we've long since realised were wrong and hateful. He's just brewing hatred up with people who hold hateful views.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

B_Wayne wrote: »
    I'm pretty confident that Trump is gonna crash and burn at this stage when it comes to the election. He's not a politician, he's just a terrible person and a pretty poor business man that is a popularity personality. He has engaged in racism, xenophobia and just generally hateful rhetoric.

People will claim all of the above is him 'not being pc', not being pc means reverting to attitudes that we've long since realised were wrong and hateful. He's just brewing hatred up with people who hold hateful views.

As portrayed by the media that everyone knows distorts the truth about every single major news story. Commentators ignore the human trafficking taking place at the Mexican border and label all those concerned citizens as racists. Those living in close proximity to terror gangs have to put up with violence, drugs & warfare as Washington debates the niceties of making the extremists feel at home.

Billy86 wrote: »

What were the lies out of interest?
    Saying he said a woman is not worth as much as a man. A complete lie. I watched that debate on the BBC (which I think she is referring to) about companies policy on maternity leave etc. It was just such a lie.

She did the same over the classified information, a video of it on Twitter of her saying classified information wasn't sent and then the FBI saying it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/aug/24/nigel-farage-donald-trump-rally-hillary-clintonNo Nigel, because that would be illegal.

Can someone remind our American chums that Mr Farage has given up his UK job because of his nice little earner from the EU.

and as somebody pointed out, Farage went mad when Obama weighed in on Brex...I mean the EU referendum........but then goes over to a foreign jurisdiction during an election to support one candidate. A flute of the highest order.

Saying he said a woman is not worth as much as a man. A complete lie. I watched that debate on the BBC (which I think she is referring to) about companies policy on maternity leave etc. It was just such a lie.

She did the same over the classified information, a video of it on Twitter of her saying classified information wasn't sent and then the FBI saying it was.

It was reported back in 2014 the Farage said women are worth less than men after maternity leave.

http://news.sky.com/story/farage-working-mothers-worth-less-than-men-10420685

http://leftfootforward.org/2014/05/15-reasons-women-shouldnt-vote-for-ukip/

So are you mistaken or telling lies? I would assume you are mistaken and will withdraw your claim.

• Advertisement

It was reported back in 2014 the Farage said women are worth less than men after maternity leave.

http://news.sky.com/story/farage-working-mothers-worth-less-than-men-10420685

http://leftfootforward.org/2014/05/15-reasons-women-shouldnt-vote-for-ukip/

So are you mistaken or telling lies? I would assume you are mistaken and will withdraw your claim.
    Go watch the debate on a BBC programme between him and some loony shouting woman who could not handle the reality of the real world. His comments are in the context of the argument regarding bosses. So yes, it was an utter lie.

Go watch the debate on a BBC programme between him and some loony shouting woman who could not handle the reality of the real world. His comments are in the context of the argument regarding bosses. So yes, it was an utter lie.

I watched clintons remarks she never said he said it during his speech in the USA just that he has said it.

http://news.sky.com/video/hillary-clinton-hits-back-at-nigel-farage-10551853

He did clearly say that women who have children are worth less to their employer. Simply it was said.

I watched clintons remarks she never said he said it during his speech in the USA just that he has said it.

http://news.sky.com/video/hillary-clinton-hits-back-at-nigel-farage-10551853

I didn't say he said it in the US. I know what comments she is referring to. She has completely taken his comments out of context of the conversation he was having with the woman on the BBC programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Rjd2 wrote: »
    He didn't really talk up Trump whatsoever, just bragged about Brexit and a few quips at Hilary who he loathes.

Showing up at the rally is more than enough, to associate himself with Trumps toxic brand.

He has reused white supremacist propaganda numerous times (links provide earlier in the thread), and has gone on tirades against various minorities numerous times, and made fun of a disabled reporter, all to cheers and adulation from his supporters.

So the comparison is perfectly valid.

The referendum happened due to Tory Eurosceptics, causing trouble. It was Cameron wanting to end the schism in his party that lead to the referendum. Farage has never been elected to parliament and UKIP has only has one MP. You over estimate Farage.

It was Boris who won the campaign for leave, and he would likely be British Prime Minister, if he wasn't stabbed in the back by Michael Gove.

David Duke: Voting against Trump is 'treason to your heritage'

The facts seem to suggest otherwise........

No, what I have are facts:

Malcolm X exposes Nation of Islam pact with the KKK

Nation of Islam’s Louis Farrakhan joins KKK in praise of Donald Trump: ‘I like what I’m looking at’

White supremacists and black supremacists have in the past looked to make common cause, which I agree is bizarre, but it did happen.

Oh and Trump has 1% support from black voters:
    Poll Finds Grand Total of Donald Trump’s Support with Black Voters: 1%

So, again just providing facts, that Trumpeters hate. Facts are one of Trumps greatest enemies, you know just after things Trump has actually said and done.

Sky News seems to say otherwise:
    Farage: 'Working Mothers Worth Less Than Men'

Buzzfeed as well:
    Farage Defends Saying That Women Should Be Paid Less Than Men

and the Telegraph:
    Hey ladies! Nigel Farage's Ukip wants to turn the clock back for women's rights. Fact

I think Hilary is ok, when it comes to that one. If you read the links, it pretty much the standard misogynistic crap, used to justify paying women less.

FBI Director revises stance, says none of Hillary Clinton’s emails were classified at the time

So no lies then.......

Now Trump on the other hand, has lied repeatedly:
    http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/

I know the link has been provide earlier in the thread, but Trump is pretty damn prolific when it comes to lies

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

You're right, she did misquote him. Here is what Clinton said: "Farage has called for a ban on the children of legal immigrants from public schools and health services," she continued, "has said women are quote 'worth less' than men, and supports scrapping laws that prevent employers from discriminating based on race - that's who Trump wants by his side."

Here is what Farage said: In many, many cases, women make different choices in life to the ones that men make simply for biological reasons," he said during his speech in January. "If a woman has a client base and has a child and takes two or three years off work, she is worth far less to the employer when she comes back than when she goes away because her client base cannot be stuck rigidly to her.

If she were to have quoted him directly, she would have said 'worth far less'. What she did was fail to give context, not too surprising given that politics can be dirty and Clinton is certainly far from clean in that respect. But that's a half-truth, not an out-and-out lie. Doesn't make it right, but that's what politicians (and news outlets like Breitbart on one end of the spectrum, or Mother Jones on the other) do unfortunately, and it's bad for society. But there is a clear difference between a subtle/nuanced/deceptive half-truth and an out and out lie.

An out and out lie would be saying, for example, that Obama literally founded ISIS. Or saying the Democrats and NFL(!?) are in collusion. Or claiming not taking in refugees would spare enough money to rebuild every city in the US. Or that crime in the US is going up. Or claiming that Clinton wants all violent criminals released from jails. Or claiming Clinton doesn't do well with female voters. Or the that 2016 federal omnibus spending bill "funds illegal immigrants coming in and through your border, right through Phoenix." Or claiming not to know anything about David Duke, despite knowing plenty about him. Or claiming to have never met Putin despite claiming he had previously. Or trying to claim being against Libya despite being for it. Or claiming to be against Iraq despite being for it. Or claiming unemployment is 30%, 35%, 42% etc when it is 5%. Or using border footage from Morocco and trying to claim it is in Mexico. Or claiming Obama wants to take in a quarter of a million Syrians. Or claiming black people are responsible for 81% of white homicides. Or claiming the government is purposely directing refugees to red states over blue ones. Or claiming to have never said Mark Rubio is Mark Zuckerberg's personal senator, despite it being on his website. Or claiming Bernie Sanders wants to tax people 90%. Or claiming the Mexican government is sending - even forcing- their people to enter the US illegally. Or claiming quarterl GDP has never been below zero before (when it has been no less than 42 times). Or claiming Kuwait never paid for the first Gulf War, when they paid 16bn compared to the US's 7bn. Or bizarrely claiming that Obama's classmates never saw him in school and have no recollection of him.

Those would be examples of out and out lies.

I see five men on the stage by the way, was this 'loony shouting woman' an audience member?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement