Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

osarusan wrote: »
    Whatever else, Bill Maher is insufferably smug with a face that was designed to be punched.

Bill is smug, but he is one of the good guys, goes after stupidity on the left and right, compare that to the UK where the height of British political comedy atm is "Farage is a racist" and "Tories are bad" (whether you agree or not is irrelevant, its not exactly ground breaking observations).:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Joss Whedon gets some famous friends together to utterly destroy Drumpf (vol. 472).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Joss Whedon gets some famous friends together to utterly destroy Drumpf (vol. 472).

Celebs against Brexit didn't work, I doubt they're going to work on the Drumpfster Fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

The donald will have the last laugh on these liberal jabroni's

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

ricero wrote: »
    The donald will have the last laugh on these liberal jabroni's

yeah, damn liberals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Why is that person in the blue and white stripped shirt on the verge of tears? Good video but she was a bit much to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Celebs against Brexit didn't work, I doubt they're going to work on the Drumpfster Fire.

I was very dubious about this video before I watched it, assuming it was going to be a bunch of celebs just telling people how to vote, but it's actually a lot better than that -a strong mixture of sincerity and humour.

Also Don Cheadle at 1.05 is v. powerful

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

"Famous" people telling the commoners how to vote.
    As cringeworthy as priest jokes and politicians trying to connect with younger voters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭Ilovemybricks

"Famous" people telling the commoners how to vote.
    As cringeworthy as priest jokes and politicians trying to connect with younger voters.

"We are all in this together" say the multimillionaires who live in gated communities.

The freak out when Trump wins is going to be hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Agreed. It's actually starting to do more harm than good.

People have become increasingly cynical towards celebrities and political activism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I get that, but to be fair their was a few older celebs who backed Brexit who were pretty well known and respected such as Michael Caine and as we seen that was the audience that won it in the end.

Trump has only been able to roll out z listers and people who worked with him for support. I think its naive to suggest that more famous people don't support him as after all according to Clinton those are the people who will benefit the most if he is elected, but they won't dare endorse him for fear of backlash.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Agreed. It's actually starting to do more harm than good.

People have become increasingly cynical towards celebrities and political activism.

Will be intrigued to see if we end up with an American equivalent to Bob Geldof on the Thames. Time will tell....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,738 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

That video would make me vote for trump.

I give it a week before all of the women featured in the ad have quit Twitter because of Trump's Internetsturmabteilung, like Leslie Jones.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

[QUOTE=[...]

The freak out when Trump wins is going to be hilarious.[/QUOTE]

Out of curiosity, what makes you believe Trump can win the electoral college?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Nonbias

it's all down to the 4 swing states who wins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

Trump is going to win this election by a lot bigger margin than people think.Its pretty much in the bag already.

Academic wrote: »

Now, now, don't be asking Trump's acolytes how their idol will improve X, do Y or destroy Z, or else they'll shriek like an angry Pepe the Frog.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

And I actually do believe he gives a **** about America. Just wanted to get an idea what ye think about The Donald.
    Trump's for Trump. Unqualified. Tall talker. No substance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Trump is going to win this election by a lot bigger margin than people think.Its pretty much in the bag already.

I actually agree with you, he's been written off as a joke candidate at every point in his campaign but he's beaten everyone into the floor in the Republican party from reasoned moderates like Jeb Bush to classic Repubican hardliners like Rubio.

Even now, when Clinton was supposed to crush him like an ant, but instead of polls showing a Reagan v Mondale result, he's very much in the mix, with Clinton holding a small, steady lead over him.

Calling his supporters stupid, racist or Nazis even if you genuinely think they're all stupid, racist or Nazis just makes their support for him more ardent, but they're less likely to be public about their support.

If Brexit has shown us anything, the media and celebrities hectoring voters and telling them the correct candidate to vote for is counterproductive.
    No one is actually challenging Trumps views or making a reasonable counterargument to them, they're too busy falling over each other to call him a bigot, which won't change his supporters minds.

On top of that, Clinton is just a horrible candidate, especially from a Democrat perspective. An out-of-touch multi-millionaire with a team of advisers from large banks with a track record of quite aggressive military actions during her time as Secretary of State, who seems to need approval from a focus group to choose what to eat for breakfast. She seems fake and completely unpersonable, although still being the better choice between the two.

Personally I would have voted for Sanders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

Academic wrote: »

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/upshot/presidential-polls-forecast.html

Apparently he has 300 ways to win and they're giving him a 27% chance. It's unlikely but not impossible. Although I wouldn't be surprised if the polls are off slightly. It's like Brexit, you villainise one side enough and people just don't tell anyone they're voting that way to avoid the hassle. I still think Clinton has it though but if a few big swing states go unexpected it's enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

Apparently he has 300 ways to win and they're giving him a 27% chance. It's unlikely but not impossible. Although I wouldn't be surprised if the polls are off slightly. It's like Brexit, you villainise one side enough and people just don't tell anyone they're voting that way to avoid the hassle. I still think Clinton has it though but if a few big swing states go unexpected it's enough.
    Can we put to bed the lie that nobody said that Brexit would pass? The polls were neck and neck in the run in.

No one is actually challenging Trumps views or making a reasonable counterargument to them, they're too busy falling over each other to call him a bigot, which won't change his supporters minds.
    Well he is a bigot. There are more than enough quotes showing such.
    As for making a reasonable couterargument, it's impossible to argue with someone who has no views on anything. He'll directly deny saying things when quotes are read back to him, he won't answer questions, he'll change the subject once his "point" has been torn apart, etc.
    On another thread someone is going on about how he'll reduce the deficit. Except that he wants to cut taxes and increase spending. All analysis shows his plan will add trillions in debt while Clinton's will add less than 1%. Yet faced with this information Trump supporters will just ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Maybe America needs trump to win to get it out of their system? Like the brexit vote which probably wouldnt be repeated and those who voted independent in the last election here which formed the current lame duck basket case dail.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Can we put to bed the lie that nobody said that Brexit would pass? The polls were neck and neck in the run in.

Brexit was ahead in the polls for a few weeks before the vote as well.

I dont think it is a lie. From what I remember most of the polls were predicting and in result. So much so that people were studying why they got it wrong. I don't have specific details on the polls at hand but here is an example of the surprise it caused.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/07/04/why-the-majority-of-brexit-polls-were-wrong.html

If out have other data feel free to share.

I dont think it is a lie. Are sure it's just that you don't like to hear that.
    From what I remember most of the polls were predicting an in result. So much so that people were studying why they got it wrong. I don't have specific details on the polls at hand but here is an example of the surprise it caused.

I dont think it is a lie. Are you sure it's just that you don't like to hear that.
    From what I remember most of the polls were predicting an in result. So much so that people were studying why they got it wrong. I don't have specific details on the polls at hand but here is an example of the surprise it caused.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I dont think it is a lie. Are you sure it's just that you don't like to hear that.

Exit polls were wrong, but Brexit was leading some polls before that:
    EU referendum: Poll reveals 10-point swing towards Brexit as campaigns enter final stages

Exit polls predicted a narrow remain win. I don't think it quite so odd that they were wrong, considering the margin was so narrow.

Simply put, when its very close, then the polls can be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

https://ig.ft.com/sites/brexit-polling/
    FT's poll of polls had it as a two point swing. Is that not neck and neck?
    BTW I don't know much about polling and stats, that was literally the first google result for "Brexit Polls". That page also lists the individual polls it's made up of and you can see the large swing towards leave in the weeks running up to the referendum. It was big news at the time, I'm surprised so many people have forgotten about it. Or else they would just like to pretend that it was an uprising of the silent majority (who had for weeks previous been the vocal majority in the polls).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement